Wolf Man (2010)...

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Wolf Man (2010)...

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:35 pm

Mark Romaneck dropped out due to "creative differences"- This was the only remake I was kinda looking forward to and a lot of it was because it was the only one with an actual GOOD director working on it. Benicio del Toro is still gonna play the lead and Rick Baker is still doing makeup, but there's no telling what kind of hacks they'll shoehorn into the director's chair or how script rewrites are gonna go.

In other words, this sucks.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby emeGoji » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:05 pm

I was hoping Guillermo del Toro would take over, until I heard the news about him officially signing onto the two Hobbit films. Now I'm not really sure who I'd want to do it.

Mike Nichols maybe? I love a lot of his stuff, and Wolf is one of my favorite werewolf films.
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:59 pm

Well to make this news even worse, Universal have started talks with Brett Ratner to be the shoe in director for this movie.

And another classic monster dies :(
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby emeGoji » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:28 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Well to make this news even worse, Universal have started talks with Brett Ratner to be the shoe in director for this movie.

And another classic monster dies :(

Might as well have Uwe Boll do it. I'm sure he's cheaper than Ratner, and the quality will be about the same.
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:04 am

Peter Jackson is the ONLY one who can do anything LotR.

They should let Stephen Summers do Wolfman, as he has not failed in any of his three monster movies.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:21 am

Dr Kain wrote:They should let Stephen Summers do Wolfman, as he has not failed in any of his three monster movies.

That was a joke, right? Sommers crapped all over the Wolf Man (as well as all the other Universal Monsters) already, we don't need him hacking it up again.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

this too

Postby Xenorama » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:43 am

Dr Kain wrote:Peter Jackson is the ONLY one who can do anything LotR.

this is a joke also, right?

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Legion » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:49 am

Oh please. What a silly thing to say. Just because he did them successfully doesn't mean there couldn't have been scores of other directors who could have turned out quality product if given the chance.

That's like saying the only person who could make a good Godzilla movie now is Kaneko. Again, not true.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:19 am

Legion wrote:

Oh please. What a silly thing to say. Just because he did them successfully doesn't mean there couldn't have been scores of other directors who could have turned out quality product if given the chance.

That's like saying the only person who could make a good Godzilla movie now is Kaneko. Again, not true.

Xenorama wrote:

this is a joke also, right?

David

Yeah, really. Guillermo is just as fit to do LOTR movies as PJ is, and PJ is still producing.

Why is this even in the Wolf Man topic to begin with? Can we get back on the right subject?
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kidnicky » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 am

They should let Stephen Summers do Wolfman, as he has not failed in any of his three monster movies.

You must be thinking about a different Stephen Summers.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Lord Hastur » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:26 am

Look whatever they do it better not screw this up. A WOLFMAN remake is a big deal to alot of people, it's not like some dumb "Reimagining" of the Black Christmas caliber. This HAS TO be done correctly, with attention to detail and respect for the original film. I don't want this remade at all, but I can't stop it so WHATTA YA KNOW? Sounds like this is on the same one-way-ticket to Hell just like when the dumbest people on Earth gave loser Rob Zombie HALLOWEEN to remake so I'll pray for the best, but there's trouble already and I don't like it.
Lord Hastur

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:54 pm

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Butt Ratner is almost a sure deal replacement for the Wolf Man.

More from Dread Central:

"Seems the main reason Ratner is so close to leading the film down a path that will almost certainly mean disaster is because he’s the only one Universal has talked to who’s not terribly concerned with putting his own stamp on the remake, something that’s not possible because of the writers' strike. That, and he has a reputation for stepping in and taking over projects last-minute (X-Men: The Last Stand being the most recent example).

Producer/star Benicio del Toro will hopefully have a say in this and prevent Ratner from getting the job; it is del Toro’s baby after all. The scariest part is that directors like Frank Darabont, James Mangold (Identity) and Bill Condon (Dreamgirls) have also had meetings with Uni about the job, but Ratner is still in the lead."

How utterly depressing.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Legion » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:55 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Butt Ratner...

Jeez, imagine having to go through life with that name.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby emeGoji » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:48 am

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41633

Joe Johnston to Direct Wolfman
Source: Variety
February 4, 2008

Universal Pictures has set Joe Johnston (Hidalgo, Jurassic Park III) to replace Mark Romanek as director of The Wolfman, keeping the $100 million thriller on course to begin production in London in March.

Romanek dropped out last week over creative differences.

Benicio Del Toro has long been attached to play the title character, but Romanek's exit comes after the studio firmed up Anthony Hopkins to play the title character's father, and for Emily Blunt (Charlie Wilson's War) to play the female lead.

According to Variety, The Wolfman will cost $85 million, counting about $15 million in tax breaks for shooting in the United Kingdom.

Ugh.
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:59 pm

revenge of gmk0taku wrote:http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41633

Joe Johnston to Direct Wolfman
Source: Variety
February 4, 2008

Universal Pictures has set Joe Johnston (Hidalgo, Jurassic Park III) to replace Mark Romanek as director of The Wolfman, keeping the $100 million thriller on course to begin production in London in March.

Romanek dropped out last week over creative differences.

Benicio Del Toro has long been attached to play the title character, but Romanek's exit comes after the studio firmed up Anthony Hopkins to play the title character's father, and for Emily Blunt (Charlie Wilson's War) to play the female lead.

According to Variety, The Wolfman will cost $85 million, counting about $15 million in tax breaks for shooting in the United Kingdom.

Ugh.

Well that sucks, looks like we'll be getting an 1 and half mastercrap movie.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby walshbeme » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:48 am

I'm always skeptical of any project where a director drops out for "creative differences". I wonder what those differences were. Remember what happened when Sony pulled the rug on GODZILLA because of budget cutbacks? That director still left with 4 million bucks but was the right choice for the job compared to what we got. WOLFMAN is a true classic that Universal shouldn't take a chance with screwin' up. They have a great opportunity with the actors attached to the project but the wrong director could make it come crashing down.
walshbeme

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:45 pm

Check out Rick Bakers interview with EW: here!
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby emeGoji » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:27 pm

emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby armandv » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:31 pm

More on the new The Wolf Man.

http://wolfman2008.blogspot.com/
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:00 pm

From Empire Online:
No CG. Expanded Story. Character secrets
The look of the Wolfman is vital on this film. The Lon Chaney Wolfman had a very distinctive look, which Rick Baker looks to have kept elements of, but make-up restrictions of the time meant that he was very much on the man side of wolfman. How have you found the right balance of paying homage to Chaney’s look while also making the most of everything that’s possible now?

When you make a film, casting is vital. In this, casting Rick Baker was actually one of the most important things you could do. He’s the equivalent of an A-list movie star. So, getting Rick Baker was like getting Brad Pitt, in a lot of ways. He loves The Wolfman so much and has such an affinity for it, so it was months of trials and tribulations and misses and Rick trying to figure out the hair and the snout and the teeth and the brow. It’s a constant thing that he refines and his team is amazing.

The process of transformation is almost as important as the final monster. Rick’s work on that in American Werewolf in London hasn’t been bettered, so how does he want to push that further?

We haven’t shot that yet, but we’ve done a lot of research and development on that and had a lot of discussions about it. I think the hope and opportunity is to outdo something that was so iconic. As you say, when you think of werewolf transformation you think of that moment. The hope is that we can expand on that and, for those of us who remember it, just blow our minds, and for the new generation to have their version of what American Werewolf was for us back in the day.

Does having Rick Baker mean that all Wolfman effects will be physical, rather than CG?

We really want to stick to the physical stuff. So much of what we’re trying to accomplish is that when Benicio is the wolf, you really know it’s Benicio Del Toro and you have the eyes and the emotion of what he is. That way you don’t disassociate your emotion and you realise that the person, Lawrence Talbot, who you’ve got to know in the daytime is still Lawrence Talbot at night. That way you’re empathetic towards him, you’re angry towards him, you feel for him. You wouldn’t get that with a completely CG creature who you disassociate from Benicio Del Toro. There will inevitably be some CG work to help with some of the transformation, but it’s a Rick Baker-centric film and that’s what we wanted from the get-go.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:50 am

mr.negativity wrote:From Empire Online:
The look of the Wolfman is vital on this film. The Lon Chaney Wolfman had a very distinctive look, which Rick Baker looks to have kept elements of, but make-up restrictions of the time meant that he was very much on the man side of wolfman. How have you found the right balance of paying homage to Chaney’s look while also making the most of everything that’s possible now?

When you make a film, casting is vital. In this, casting Rick Baker was actually one of the most important things you could do. He’s the equivalent of an A-list movie star. So, getting Rick Baker was like getting Brad Pitt, in a lot of ways. He loves The Wolfman so much and has such an affinity for it, so it was months of trials and tribulations and misses and Rick trying to figure out the hair and the snout and the teeth and the brow. It’s a constant thing that he refines and his team is amazing.

The process of transformation is almost as important as the final monster. Rick’s work on that in American Werewolf in London hasn’t been bettered, so how does he want to push that further?

We haven’t shot that yet, but we’ve done a lot of research and development on that and had a lot of discussions about it. I think the hope and opportunity is to outdo something that was so iconic. As you say, when you think of werewolf transformation you think of that moment. The hope is that we can expand on that and, for those of us who remember it, just blow our minds, and for the new generation to have their version of what American Werewolf was for us back in the day.

Does having Rick Baker mean that all Wolfman effects will be physical, rather than CG?

We really want to stick to the physical stuff. So much of what we’re trying to accomplish is that when Benicio is the wolf, you really know it’s Benicio Del Toro and you have the eyes and the emotion of what he is. That way you don’t disassociate your emotion and you realise that the person, Lawrence Talbot, who you’ve got to know in the daytime is still Lawrence Talbot at night. That way you’re empathetic towards him, you’re angry towards him, you feel for him. You wouldn’t get that with a completely CG creature who you disassociate from Benicio Del Toro. There will inevitably be some CG work to help with some of the transformation, but it’s a Rick Baker-centric film and that’s what we wanted from the get-go.

Well that's good I guess
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:55 am

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:
mr.negativity wrote:From Empire Online:

Well that's good I guess

Yeah, its good news, but not enough to fill me with any hope for this thing... Yeah, Baker's makeup looks great, that's a given (its f'in Rick Baker), but with all the production problems and getting a Hollywood hack to take Romanek's place, it all leaves me with many doubts.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:22 pm

I think they should have gotten Joe Dante to be the new director he didn't do to bad with The Howling and I found some enjoyment out of Piranha.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Klownzilla » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:I think they should have gotten Joe Dante to be the new director he didn't do to bad with The Howling and I found some enjoyment out of Piranha.

Funny you say that. I was thinking of him filling that role a few days back. I mean, Joe Johnson isn't exactly a name. I like some of his work, but even to genre buffs, he isn't exactly an all-star. Figure if they're getting a lesser-known guy at the helm, Dante could work wonders.
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Lord Hastur » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:31 pm

:? You know I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed with the make-up. I mean the picture just posted looks good, but the full, front on view kinda makes him look like Larry from Three's Company. I'm a Wolfman Die-hard and I really thought that Baker would come up with something different. I guess I just gotta see more photo's and Del Toro in action before I dismiss the design altogether.
Lord Hastur

Next

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television