Night Gallery

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Night Gallery

Postby kaijubringer » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:12 pm

I'll start by saying that I never thought this series, on the whole, was very good. But I liked the following episodes:

SPOILERS

The Dead Man --by Fritz Lieber

A man volunteers to be a subject in an experiment in which he exhibits the symptoms of various diseases in response to hypnotic suggestion. He can be brought out of the condition by a pre-arranged signal of tapping. But when the doctor finds out his subject has been having an affair with his wife, he kills him by hypnotic suggestion. However, several months later the doctor's now-crazy wife finds out about the signal, rushes out to the crypt and pounds it out on the coffin. In the last scene a guest finds the crazed woman staring at her husband, dead at the hands of a rotted corpse.

Pickman's Model -- based on the H. P. Lovecraft story. A man discovers that the grotesque creatures painted by an artist are taken from real life. This featured a pretty good monster, a man-sized sort of demon-rat.

Silent Snow, Secret Snow -- by Conrad Aiken, narrated by Orson Welles. A boy's fantasies of an imaginary snow-filled world represent his descent into madness. That is the usual intrepretation of the original story; from the episode, I thought it was a metaphor for his death.

Brenda --by Margaret St. Clair A seaweed creature terrifies people on an island, but a pre-teen girl is strangely drawn to the thing, which she describes "as something waiting to be born." The people lure it into a pit and bury it beneath rocks. Some years later, the girl, now a young woman, returns to the island with the intention of freeing the creature. Frankly I'm not sure what the meaning of this story was, but it was strangely poignant.
kaijubringer
Godzilla

Postby Gfan54 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:28 am

I only caught a few episodes of this series when it ran on Sci-Fi Channel (?) a few years ago, but I always really liked what I saw. I know that Serling will always be remembered more for "The Twilight Zone" (which definitely deserves the classic status it has reached!), but "Night Gallery" is actually my fave of the 2.
Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Klownzilla » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:53 am

For a few years, they played the episodes uncut on the Mystery Channel. I loved the first one with Roddy McDowall playing a greedy nephew who's waiting to inherit his dying uncle's fortune and estate. Really awesome turn of events that I won't get into in case others haven't seen it. But the twist is sweet!

I also loved Pickman's Model and Cool Air (another Lovecraft adaptation) and the short featuring Carl Reiner as a professor who speaks Hastur's name in his classroom, resulting in unfortunate consequences.

I liked how a lot of episodes worked humor in with the horror, rather than always play it straight. It definitely paved the way for latter anthology series like Tales from the Crypt, Monsters and Tales from the Darkside. Now, I know some aren't going to be pleased, but I honestly liked this series more than the Twilight Zone.
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:02 am

Yes, the pilot from 1969 with the three stories. (All written by Rod Serling). The first of which (being my favorite) was Roddy McDowell who purposely kills his rich uncle to collect the inheritance. Then later sees a painting of the house and each time he passes by it, it keeps changing. All of a sudden the painting is showing the uncle's fresh grave in the cemetery. Then that same painting has the uncle coming out of the grave(!) towards the house, and I will leave it at that.

The second one, which was directed by Steven Spielberg, has Joan Crawford, as a rich blind woman, who has found someone willing to donate his eyes, so that she can see for at least one day. I'll leave it at that.

The third has Richard Kiley, as an escaped Nazi war criminal, hiding out in South America. When it looks like the police are about to capture him, he believes he can hide or transpose himself into a serene painting he saw in a museum of a man fishing. There is also another famous painting in that museum as well, that depicting the horrors of the holocaust. When Kiley, wants to hide in the painting, it's pitch dark in the museum, and well, I'll leave it at that as well.

Some "Night Gallery" episodes were creepy, others were downright campy, like when Cesar Romero, plays a vampire visiting a blood bank!
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Klownzilla » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:25 am

Another one that comes to mind, which happens to be a favorite of my parents, is "Green Fingers" starring Elsa Lanchester as a kind old woman who loves to tend to her garden. She becomes the target of developers who want to buy her property. She refuses so they resort to violent methods to convince her, but her strong will is something that they underestimated.

"Everything in my garden grows. Even me!"
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:12 pm

did you all see this- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331425/ - it's an excellent doc on Night Gallery (my friend Brock DeShane named it).

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Re: Night Gallery

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Deadline December 6, 2018:
‘Night Gallery’: Reimagining Of Rod Serling’s Anthology Series In Works At Syfy From Jeff Davis & David Janollari
Nellie Andreeva wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Another classic Rod Serling anthology series is getting a revival. In a competitive situation, Syfy has landed a re-imagination of Night Gallery, from Teen Wolf creator/executive producer Jeff Davis and Midnight, Texas executive producer David Janollari. Picked up for development, the project will be co-produced by Universal TV, where David Janollari Entertainment is based, and Universal Cable Prods.

Night Gallery, which ran on NBC from 1969-73 on NBC, was Sterling’s supernatural/horror follow-up to his sci-fi-themed anthology series The Twilight Zone. Serling was the host of Night Gallery, appearing in an art gallery setting to introduce each segment of an episode by unveiling a painting that illustrated the story (you can watch a promo below).

Serling, who also was one of the main writers on the series, is said to have handpicked then-21-year-old Steven Spielberg to direct a segment in the pilot episode, which he had written. The segment, which starred Hollywood icon Joan Crawford, marked Spielberg’s first professional directing job.

Night Gallery has influenced top genre filmmakers including Oscar winner Guillermo del Toro, who called watching “The Doll“ episode of the anthology series he saw as a child the most scared he’s ever been.

Created by Davis, who reinvented Teen Wolf as a dark, supernatural genre series for the millennial generation, the Night Gallery reboot will update the series for the digital age. Featuring dark and twisted morality tales paired with Serling’s specific brand of irony, Night Gallery will explore and exploit every modern nightmare imaginable, mining our fears of the dangers of social media.

Davis will executive produce with Janollari via his David Janollari Entertainment. The project reunites the duo who launched together Davis’ Teen Wolf on MTV during Janollari’s tenure as the network’s head of programming. Universal TV, which has rights to Night Gallery, co-produces with corporate sibling UCP.

Davis also created CBS’ long-running crime drama Criminal Minds. Janollari executive produces NBC’s supernatural drama series Midnight, Texas, based on Charlaine Harris’ books, which is now airing its second season.

Serling’s The Twilight Zone is getting a reboot by CBS All Access with Joran Peele as host, narrator and executive producer.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television