Superman: The Man of Steel

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Superman: The Mustache of Steel

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:51 pm

/film:
Michael B. Jordan Being Considered for New Superman, But ‘Supergirl’ is WB’s Current Priority

Screen Rant:
Henry Cavill Not Leaving Superman DCEU Role According to Agent

BMD:
Finally, Christopher McQuarrie Tells The True Hollywood Story Behind #Mustachegate
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Supergirl

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:23 pm

mr.negativity wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:Are they going to be dumb and not use Melissa Benoist?

Yes!

Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Re: Superman: The Man of Steel

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:21 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

This franchise is falling apart quicker than Donald Trump's popularity.

Hopefully next time they will get an actor and not a piece of cardboard for Superman. Oh, and maybe some writers.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:19 pm

I kind of feel bad, because I think he could have been a good Superman if he was given the chance. I mean, he's good in other movies, and even though Justice League was a bit of a mess I thought he acquitted himself very well as a more traditional, heroic Superman at the end.

Michael B Jordan as a possible new Superman? I'm totally okay with that, and I think he'd be able to be a good Superman and a good Clark Kent.

I hope that Warner Brothers gets a handle on the series. I mean, they're doing quite well in their other slate of movies that don't feature superheroes. The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians, and The Nun are all WB movies and have been the number one movies for like the last month and a half! They're the solid number two Studio behind Disney.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:52 am

We already have a black Superman though, his name is John Henry Irons. No need to race swap our man in blue and red.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am

lhb412 wrote:I kind of feel bad, because I think he could have been a good Superman if he was given the chance. I mean, he's good in other movies, and even though Justice League was a bit of a mess I thought he acquitted himself very well as a more traditional, heroic Superman at the end.

COLLIDER:
Henry Cavill Should Have Been the Next Great Superman

THR SEPTEMBER 12, 2018:
After a Superman Shake-Up, What Happens to the DC Film Universe?
Graeme McMillan wrote:Where will the DC Universe go now?

With Henry Cavill out as Superman, what could the Warner Bros. film team be planning for its Kryptonian focus? According to Tatiana Siegel and Borys Kit's story Wednesday, the studio could be placing Supergirl front and center when it comes to representing the S-shield. It’s a smart move, given the character’s existing fan base and the chance it offers DC/Warners to retool the larger DC universe and move it away from earlier movies, as need be.

Unfortunately, the current DC Cinematic Universe has exhausted the obvious comic book source material that would have allowed for a narrative excuse to drop Superman for an extended period of time — namely, the character’s death and resurrection. In comic book lore, Superman’s death at the hands of Doomsday in 1992’s Superman No. 75 led to the character being absent from DC’s fictional universe for more than half a year, with the various Superman comic books even being temporarily suspended from publication for a number of months to sell the idea that the death was, perhaps, more permanent than the cynical fan base believed.

The comic book resurrection of Superman also offered the potential to recast the role, in a sense; before the “real” Superman reappeared, four characters showed up, each one laying claim in some way to the mantle and legacy of the character — two of them literally believed to be a resurrected Superman, another being a clone of the original and the fourth an entirely separate character who nonetheless personified the morality and attitude of Superman at his best.

Ultimately, all turned out to be red herrings, but the idea that Superman would return from death altered could, in different circumstances, be used to insert a different actor into the role onscreen, explaining away Cavill’s replacement. Unfortunately for Warners and DC, Justice League did away with that possibility by bringing him back more or less as he’d been before.

There are other ways to write around Superman. Beyond literally ignoring the problem and never mentioning him — something that might, admittedly, be difficult when simultaneously introducing his cousin as a primary character — there’s the option of referring to him as simply being permanently busy saving the day elsewhere when danger calls on other heroes. He’s Superman, after all. Who’s to say he’s not helping deal with a natural disaster on the other side of the planet when Archvillain X threatens Coast City, Keystone or Gotham? It’s a solution that helps make the world seem a little bit larger, if it also risks making Superman look like the superhero version of a deadbeat dad.

Supergirl herself may be the key to the problem. Throughout the decades of the character’s existence, there have been occasions in which Supergirl has essentially subbed in for her cousin when various circumstances have demanded it — either he’s temporarily lost his powers, or been forced to abandon his traditional duties for one reason or another. Such a situation could come into play with DC’s movies moving forward, with Superman off in space for an extended period, lost in time or forced into retirement until the powers that be decide that it’s time for him to return.

Such a move would also open up storytelling possibilities for the rest of the DC heroes, too. As Suicide Squad and Justice League demonstrated, Superman has assumed a position of moral authority in DC’s movie universe; what happens when that is gone, but only temporarily and it’s known that he’ll return at some point? How do the other heroes step up to fill the void? (Do they even try?) The method of his removal could also prove additive to the larger universe-building: What if he’s visiting the Phantom Zone, or traveling to the future to the Legion of Super-Heroes or meets any number of other characters from other periods of DC lore?

The move could allow Supergirl a space to become established in her own right, and Superman a chance to lie low for awhile until he and the audience have forgotten about what he previously looked like. It’s not death, but it’s the next best thing: a chance for rebirth, for the character and the larger cinematic universe as a whole.

WATCH

Dr Kain wrote:We already have a black Superman though, his name is John Henry Irons.
Spoiler Below:

Maybe Warner Bros. will make a movie about Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod.
Spoiler Below:
ImageImage
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:05 am

Doesn't matter what ethnicity Superman is. He's American, and they come in all colors.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:02 pm

lhb412 wrote:Doesn't matter what ethnicity Superman is. He's American, and they come in all colors.

....I'm torn on this one.

Generally, I don't care too much, but I feel like Clark Kent's identity is fairly "white."

He's a rather naïve individual. SUPPOSEDLY born (until he finds out the truth) and definitely raised on a small farm in rural Kansas. He's a well-liked person in that town. GENERALLY SPEAKING, that's not the story of a black person growing up in a rural southern town.

Granted, you can change Superman's ethnicity and still keep basically all of what keeps him important as Superman...and potentially make it even more powerful a message...

...but I don't have the confidence that a studio would make that change in ethnicity and then correspondingly change the character's upbringing and background enough to corroborate with that change. It'd be a change made to change his skin color, and not have enough thought put into it.

It's a dicey subject, but that's my view on it. It COULD be done, but I doubt it'd be done RIGHT.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:18 pm

The best arguments I've read against a black Superman today have been from black folks saying how Superman is tied to Siegel and Shuster's Jewish roots: blending into white society while not being Anglo.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 pm

lhb412 wrote: He's American

He's an undocumented alien. I think DC even officially did away with the "Truth, Justice and the American Way" a few years back as a publicity stunt
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Is it still cannon that the Kents and a local doctor fudged the paperwork to make it seem like Clark was their biological child?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 pm

lhb412 wrote:Is it still cannon that the Kents and a local doctor fudged the paperwork to make it seem like Clark was their biological child?

No idea, but I’ve been reading volume 1 of the Superman Chronicles (every Superman story ever written collected in order of publishing date), and in the very early origin stories he’s not discovered or raised by the Kents at all. Some stranger finds him and drops him at an orphanage.

Personally, I’ll be sad if Cavill is bumped out of the role. I think he makes a great Superman and I’d love to see him, Affleck, and Gadot (and the others) team up one more time before it’s all over. My pipe dream would be to follow up WW2 and Aquaman with a two part Batman/Superman story (two individual films, one per character, that overlap through the villain’s story) that then leads into a Justice League 2 with Darkseid.

But I know how unlikely that is. Even so, I do hope Cavill gets to reprise the role at least one final time to give us his swan song now that he’s finally become the classic Superman we all want.

For the record, I actually really enjoy his arc over the course of MoS, BvS, and JL. He opens himself up to the world in Man of Steel. He struggles through the repurcussions of that revelation and must wrestle with his own (very human) feelings and self doubt while the world at large wrestles with the very idea of a Superman in BvS. He ultimately chooses the difficult path of being the true hero he is deep down and pays the ultimate sacrfice. Then in JL he is finally resurrected as the classic “Boy Scout” Superman (once he remembers exactly who he is and what happened, that is...) who has made peace with his struggles and is able to save the world with a smile. But I can understand why many people take issue with such a long journey to get to the character they wanted to see (and quite probably thought they had gotten to by the end of MoS).
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:20 am

He had a good enough start in MoS. Then he's just a mopey butthole who hates being Superman and wants to murder Batman for two movies.

Zack Snyder doesn't understand superheroes.

It's what made him a good choice for Watchmen...and WOEFULLY awful for everything else.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Re: Supergirl 1970

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am

Ken Jeong Ready to Replace Henry Cavill as Superman

klen7 wrote:
lhb412 wrote: He's American

He's an undocumented alien. I think DC even officially did away with the "Truth, Justice and the American Way" a few years back as a publicity stunt

CBR 04.29.2011:
John Parkin wrote:In a nine-page story called “The Incident” by writer David Goyer and artist Miguel Sepulveda, Superman meets with Gabriel Wright, the fictitious national security advisor to the president of the United States. In a “ripped from the headlines” story, Superman visited Tehran, Iran to show solidarity with the citizens demonstrating against Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s regime. Wright’s upset that Superman caused an international incident, to which Superman replies that he’s renouncing his citizenship.

“….I intend to speak before the United Nations tomorrow and inform them that I am renouncing my U.S. citizenship,” Superman says. “I’m tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy. ‘Truth, Justice and the American Way’ — it’s not enough anymore. The world’s too small. Too connected.”

He later adds, “I”m an alien, Mr. Wright. Born on another world. I can’t help but see the bigger picture.”

Screen Rant:
Supergirl Movie Rumor: The Origin Story Is Set In The 1970s
COOPER HOOD wrote:The Playlist reports that as of right now Supergirl is being conceived as a period piece with a likely 1970s setting. This would be an origin story for a teen Kara, but also make it impossible for Superman to appear. In the traditional comic book stories, both Kara and Kal-El left Krypton at the same time, but Kara didn't arrive on Earth for a few decades more. When she did, her baby cousin was all grown up and the superhero known as Superman, but that would all change with this approach. These are however early and unconfirmed reports on the story, and could change as the script is developed.

Obviously, this would be a major change to Supergirl's story and the Superman mythos. Supergirl being introduced in the 1970s would make her the first Kryptonian hero on Earth, instead of her cousin, and would theoretically make it so she could be a mentor to Superman. He's only suited up for a few years, but a 1970s introduction means Supergirl has been an active hero for close to 50 years by the time she's introduced in the present day. This would however raise questions, like where has she been for the last half-century, why don't people recognize the symbol, and why isn't she part of Superman's life?
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:27 pm

I think the whole entertainment media really jumped the gun on Henry Cavill's tenure as Superman being over. Just look at the original THR article that broke this "story." Despite the headline proclaiming "Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up," there are really only two undisputed points cited as evidence in the body of the article:

• WB had been trying to enlist Cavill for a Superman cameo in Shazam! but contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and the studio broke down.
  • WB is developing a Supergirl movie which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine.

That's all. Henry Cavill has not said that he's done playing Superman and neither has WB. Just because they aren't developing a new Superman movie right now and he won't be popping up in Shazam! doesn't mean that Cavill couldn't return as Superman down the line. Until Cavill publicly says that he's done with the role or WB announces their intention to recast, there's no reason to believe that both parties aren't still leaving the door open for Cavill to return as Superman in the future.

This was WB's statement in response to that THR article:
"We have a great relationship and great respect for Henry Cavill that continues to remain unchanged. Additionally we have made no current decisions regarding any upcoming Superman films."

Meanwhile, Cavill's response to this media frenzy was just to post this brief video on Instagram later that same day. That seems a lot more like the response of a guy who just doesn't currently have a Superman project on his plate as opposed to a guy who's decided he doesn't want to play Superman anymore.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:20 am

^ he probably signed a 6 picture deal (or some other number) then WB wanted him to do a cameo and his agent said "sure but that counts as one of the pictures" and WB said "no, this is in addition to that", but getting out from under the current deal would let him renegotiate for a bigger piece of the pie, so it ends in a stalemate
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:27 pm

If he was signed for a particular number of movies, you would expect him to be on contract for at least one more due to Justice League being truncated from two movies to one.
Dai
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Screen Rant:
Dean Cain: My Superman Would Have Saved Pa Kent in Man of Steel

VARIETY OCTOBER 15, 2018:
Flash Standalone Movie Pushes Start Date, Eyes 2021 Release (EXCLUSIVE)
BRENT LANG and JUSTIN KROLL wrote:Following the box office disappointment of “Justice League,” Warner Bros. has been reevaluating its approach to making movies based on DC Comics characters. The studio is not moving forward with Batman and Superman movies featuring Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill, respectively. It is expected to recast the Dark Knight with a different actor.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television