Ready: Player One

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Ready: Player One

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:38 am

Cool to see a Gundam. But again, this movie keeps talking about "80's" nostalgia, which the book may reference, but this is just random nostalgia from *whenever* While it's true that Gundam was a huge success in the 80's IN JAPAN...the first official Gundam product wasn't licensed on video in the United States until the late 90's, and of course the premiere of Gundam Wing on CN in early 2000. I myself knew of Gundam as early as 1990, but didn't get my first bootleg VHS until 1993, and since it was all Japanese and no subs, and was a film in the middle of a larger story with no context, I had no idea what was going on.

Unless this get rave fan reviews (I don't give a rats a$$ what critics think), I'll probably red box this, but I have no interest in seeing this in the theater.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Kaiju_Ultra_Fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am

I'll watch it but the things from the book I would've liked to see like Supaidamans Marveller, Ultraman, MechaG, aren't even going to be in the movie. Which kind of blows. Literally everything I wanted to see most isn't in the movie.
Kaiju_Ultra_Fan
Little Godzilla

Postby Dai » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:59 pm

This just looks like Weaponised Intertextuality: The Movie.

phpBB [media]

I don't know if it's good or bad that big budget SF movies come out so frequently now that I can afford to be blasé about a movie like this. If it had come out 15 years ago, no doubt I would have been giddy with excitement. Coming to it now, all I can see in this trailer is a cynical attempt to throw empty shells of beloved iconography onto the screen. If these were the actual characters and mechs it would be one thing, but they're just avatars stripped of their context and dramatic heft.
Dai
Godzilla

Postby Ultra T-Rex » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Variety review confirms Mechagodzilla is in it:

Have no fear: In “Ready Player One,” there is plenty of vicarious fantasy combat, notably a war of the worlds that features the Iron Giant as well as the red-eyed, gleaming silver Mechagodzilla. Every time a creature like that shows up (at one point, even the monster fetus from “Alien” makes a kind of palm-buzzer cameo), it’s entrancingly cool. “Ready Player One” tells a breathless and relatively coherent story — essentially, the future of civilization is riding on the outcome of a video game — but the movie, first and foremost, is a coruscating explosion of pop-culture eye candy.
Ultra T-Rex
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 pm

^... Showa Mechagodzilla? Welp, gotta see it.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Gigan shows up too, lol. 8)
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Mac wrote:Gigan shows up too, lol. 8)

wait... WHAT? This movie looks very mediocre but I think I am going to have to watch it if that's the case.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:18 am

DannyBeane wrote:
Mac wrote:Gigan shows up too, lol. 8)

wait... WHAT? This movie looks very mediocre but I think I am going to have to watch it if that's the case.

Yeah, the wait for this movie to hit Netflix could be tough. To think MechaGodzilla and Gigan will make their Hollywood debuts in a non-Godzilla film is interesting, but also hard to swallow -- more so when they're in this particular film.

I do wish Ready Player One were more appealing. People on my Facebook and Twitter have been roasting the novel over the past month, and justifiably so, judging from some choice excerpts. If the filmmakers haven't fixed its more pressing issues, I see no reason to buy a ticket. But I'll skip around on Netflix to take in the cameos.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this: my love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger! Go! Go! Go!" - Domon Kasshu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Ultra T-Rex » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:19 am

Gigan too, eh? I wonder if it's the Showa or Millennium versions?
Ultra T-Rex
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Gwangi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am

I wonder if this is going to be a "if you blink, you will miss them" scenario or will we see these guys (Gigan, Mechagodzilla, The Cyclops, etc) full-fledged. I am hoping for the ladder.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 am

Ultra T-Rex wrote:Gigan too, eh? I wonder if it's the Showa or Millennium versions?

Well I was hearing rumors that MG would be Kiryu, but I dismissed that as BS weeks ago. However if that's the case, it'd make since for Gigan to be the GFW version. But hot damn, I'd pay $6 to see a big budget version of both of those even if its only for a 5 second cameo. Through in Rampage, Pacific Rim, and Jurassic World and we have a pretty interesting year as far as big budget giant monster movies are concerned... and then there is GKOTM next year...
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Ultra T-Rex » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:23 pm

DannyBeane wrote:
Ultra T-Rex wrote:Gigan too, eh? I wonder if it's the Showa or Millennium versions?

Well I was hearing rumors that MG would be Kiryu, but I dismissed that as BS weeks ago. However if that's the case, it'd make since for Gigan to be the GFW version. But hot damn, I'd pay $6 to see a big budget version of both of those even if its only for a 5 second cameo. Through in Rampage, Pacific Rim, and Jurassic World and we have a pretty interesting year as far as big budget giant monster movies are concerned... and then there is GKOTM next year...

It's specified as Kiryu in the book, I believe, but who knows if Spielberg followed that for the film.
Ultra T-Rex
Godzilla Jr.

Postby klen7 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:58 pm

sounds like strong buzz out of sxsw premiere. I will try to catch this in the theater
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:12 pm

it does find the Iron Giant battling Mechagodzilla while a rock-heavy soundtrack featuring everything from Blondie to the Bee Gees underscores the mayhem.

http://toofab.com/2018/03/12/ready-play ... hype-sxsw/

good,very good.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Apparently this movie has its own wiki now. I don't know how true any of this is but here's what it has to say:

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Mechagodzilla
It made an appearance along with Gigan as they fight against Iron Giant, Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Gigan
It made its appearance in the final battle as it along with Mechagodzilla fight against Iron Giant, Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Godzilla
Godzilla can be seen attacking Megalon in the distance on the Oasis racetrack.

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Megalon
He can be seen at the Oasis racetrack as an obstacle battling against Godzilla.

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/King_Ghidorah
It made an appearance in the New York racetrack as one of the Stage Hazards.

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Gamera
It can be seen during the final battle.

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/King_Kong
King Kong is seen as one of the stage hazards in the Oasis racetrack.

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Kishin
Kishin can be briefly seen battling against King Kong during the race for the Copper Key.

Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:59 am

These "cameos" sound like the rough equivalent of Godzilla having a 'cameo' in Friday the 13th because there's a poster on the wall.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 am

^Seems like MechaG and Gigan have more substantial screen-time while the others are 'blink and you'll miss it' affairs.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 am

jellydonut25 wrote:These "cameos" sound like the rough equivalent of Godzilla having a 'cameo' in Friday the 13th because there's a poster on the wall.

This. Makes me wonder though... what were the negotiations for the rights to these guys, regardless of the amount of screentime? Toho is well-known for wanting ridiculous amounts of money for rights to their kaiju characters. Would seem cost-prohibitive to fork over huge piles 'o green for a "blink and it's gone" moment. :?:
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 am

Jinzo Ningen wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:These "cameos" sound like the rough equivalent of Godzilla having a 'cameo' in Friday the 13th because there's a poster on the wall.

This. Makes me wonder though... what were the negotiations for the rights to these guys, regardless of the amount of screentime? Toho is well-known for wanting ridiculous amounts of money for rights to their kaiju characters. Would seem cost-prohibitive to fork over huge piles 'o green for a "blink and it's gone" moment. :?:

There was that silhouette of Godzilla in "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" and that was pretty much a "blink and gone" moment. But yes, Toho is quite greedy so, it will be interesting how this turns out.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:46 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:Apparently this movie has its own wiki now. I don't know how true any of this is but here's what it has to say:

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Mechagodzilla
It made an appearance along with Gigan as they fight against Iron Giant, Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.

I've not read the book, so I'm unsure of what references were in it. But if this wiki is accurate it seems an odd decision to me to have Millennium MechaGodzilla (Kiryu) rather than Showa MechaGodzilla if MG is in a villain role.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:02 am

I've not read the book either but I've gathered that the story is set mostly in the virtual world of an MMORPG and all of the copyrighted characters and items that pop up are just in-game avatars that the players either encounter or conjure themselves.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby mrbluehair » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 am

I know nothing other than what I've seen in the trailers, I'm looking forward to seeing this. No expectations other than some fun things that hearken back to my youth.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 am

The book blows.

This is a pretty good article on what's wrong with it:
https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2017/07/2 ... -produced/

Some things not touched on in that article:
I would argue that masturbation is the human animal's most important adaptation. The very cornerstone of our technological civilization. Our hands evolved to grip tools, all right—including our own. You see, thinkers, inventors, and scientists are usually geeks, and geeks have a harder time getting laid than anyone. Without the built-in sexual release valve provided by masturbation, it's doubtful that early humans would have ever mastered the secrets of fire or discovered the wheel. And you can bet that Galileo, Newton, and Einstein never would have made their discoveries if they hadn't first been able to clear their heads by slapping the salami (or "knocking a few protons off the old hydrogen atom"). The same goes for Marie Curie. Before she discovered radium, you can be certain she first discovered the little man in the canoe

Yes, the book asserts that masturbation is THE key to our civilization.

Going outside is highly overrated

Yes, again. The book asserts that being active and living in reality is a NEGATIVE thing. The Oasis is life. The 80s are the best. Only those who know everything there is to know about 80s culture (and sometimes 90s...and 70s...and 50s...and 30s...because Cline can't even stick to his own set of rules) are worthy.

When it came to my research, I never took any shortcuts. Over the past five years, I'd worked my way down the entire recommended gunter reading list. Douglas Adams. Kurt Vonnegut. Neal Stephenson. Richard K. Morgan. Stephen King. Orson Scott Card. Terry Pratchett. Terry Brooks. Bester. Bradbury, Halderman, Heinlein, Tolkein, Vance, Gibson, Gaiman, Sterling, Moorcock, Scalzi, Zelazny
This is just a small, SMALL smattering of the near-infinite number of works the main character claims to have read and memorized
I watched every episode of The Greatest American Hero, Airwolf, the A-Team, Knight Rider, Misfits of Science, and The Muppet Show. What about The Simpsons, you ask? I knew more about Springfield than I knew about my own city. Star Trek? Oh, I did my homework. TOS, TNG, DS9. Even Voyager and Enterprise. I watched them all in chronological order. The movies, too. Phasers locked on target…I learned the name of every last "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" Gobot and Transformer. Land of the Lost. Thundarr the Barbarian, He-Man, Schoolhouse Rock! G.I. Joe – I knew them all. Because knowing is half the battle
Here's another small sample.

Beyond this being straight-up BORING to read (there are sections that go on for even LONGER, just literally listing out things from 80s pop culture), it stretches suspension of disbelief beyond any thinking person's capabilities until it snaps completely. This guy claims to know everything there is to know about so many things, that he'd have to spend literally every waking moment of every day consuming them and doing nothing else...and we know that's not the case, because he's in his mid-teens and goes to school every day and is locked out of doing anything other than school during school hours and he also hangs out with his friends in their basement chatrooms and just talks about things they've already watched and read and they play games within games against each other, so he ends up with a couple-few hours every day...during which he consumes all of 80s...and 90s...and 70s...and 60s...and 40s...culture because his superpower, the thing that makes him a desirable person, is knowing references.

This is a book written about and for people who have ever thought themselves to be BETTER than others simply because they could quote a movie, or knew something about its production that others didn't. Anyone who has ever wondered why they have to do "stupid" things like interact with society and contribute instead of just wallow in their own self-inflated sense of glory and fandoms. Anyone who has ever (and this HAS been said by a former member here) desired to castrate themselves so they could focus only on being a nerd culture expert and not get 'distracted' by their basic human needs.
It's a shallow, disgusting, boring slog that is actively offensive. Even if that's hyperbolic (which I really don't think it is), it's indisputably poorly written and boring. Long stretches of exposition, often about things we've either already pieced together or don't really matter...many times about action that's already happened, filling us in retroactively on why we should have cared about what happened in the preceding pages. The most egregious example of this being when a major thing happens to the (very racially caricature-esque) Asian stereotypes...the book then stops in its tracks and spends the ensuing 10 pages or so telling us about these characters instead of having done that legwork already to make us care about what happens to them when it happens.

I didn't like this book when I read it and the more it's sat with me, and the more I've seen people sit back and say "I just like nostalgia. I just like things that reference things I like." the more it's started grating on me and the stronger my passion against it has become. For the most part, I at least understand when it's someone that hasn't experienced the book and is just looking at "Directed by Spielberg" and "Oh hey, it's the Iron Giant and Freddy Krueger MEMBER THOSE THINGS?!?!" and saying to themselves "Yes, I do member them...and if I can enjoy The Force Awakens because I member Star Wars and Jurassic World because I member Jurassic Park, then I can probably enjoy RPO because I member old video games and movies." But I have to be honest: I legitimately (negatively) judge anyone who's read the book or has more than a simple passing familiarity (ie, more than the basic premise) with it and is STILL excited for the movie, because it's more and an indictment of nerd culture and everything awful that it represents than any kind of celebration or simple nostalgia trip.
It's the worst of nerd culture condensed into 372 pages.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 am

jellydonut25 wrote:I didn't like this book when I read it and the more it's sat with me, and the more I've seen people sit back and say "I just like nostalgia. I just like things that reference things I like." the more it's started grating on me and the stronger my passion against it has become. For the most part, I at least understand when it's someone that hasn't experienced the book and is just looking at "Directed by Spielberg" and "Oh hey, it's the Iron Giant and Freddy Krueger MEMBER THOSE THINGS?!?!" and saying to themselves "Yes, I do member them...and if I can enjoy The Force Awakens because I member Star Wars and Jurassic World because I member Jurassic Park, then I can probably enjoy RPO because I member old video games and movies." But I have to be honest: I legitimately (negatively) judge anyone who's read the book or has more than a simple passing familiarity (ie, more than the basic premise) with it and is STILL excited for the movie, because it's more and an indictment of nerd culture and everything awful that it represents than any kind of celebration or simple nostalgia trip.

If I watched Godzilla movies now for the first time in my thirties, i'd likely think they were "fine" and move on - but I saw them when I was young and impressionable and it made me happy and excited. Now i revisit them often because of that wistful affection for the past, simpler, happy times I remember. I am not sure when it became cool to hate nostalgia (ok, probably during the Force Awakens backlash) - but this cynical, south park view of the world is depressing and boring.

I am excited by this movie for a number of reasons, one of those reasons is because of that little nostalgia tug i felt when I saw the Akira bike in action, another is because I can't wait for all the easter eggs (who didn't pause Wreck it Ralph once or twice for that very purpose?) - Will it be a good movie? I don't care. It looks like a fun movie and it looks like a movie that revels in all the things i loved growing up.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:15 am

klen7 wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:I didn't like this book when I read it and the more it's sat with me, and the more I've seen people sit back and say "I just like nostalgia. I just like things that reference things I like." the more it's started grating on me and the stronger my passion against it has become. For the most part, I at least understand when it's someone that hasn't experienced the book and is just looking at "Directed by Spielberg" and "Oh hey, it's the Iron Giant and Freddy Krueger MEMBER THOSE THINGS?!?!" and saying to themselves "Yes, I do member them...and if I can enjoy The Force Awakens because I member Star Wars and Jurassic World because I member Jurassic Park, then I can probably enjoy RPO because I member old video games and movies." But I have to be honest: I legitimately (negatively) judge anyone who's read the book or has more than a simple passing familiarity (ie, more than the basic premise) with it and is STILL excited for the movie, because it's more and an indictment of nerd culture and everything awful that it represents than any kind of celebration or simple nostalgia trip.

If I watched Godzilla movies now for the first time in my thirties, i'd likely think they were "fine" and move on - but I saw them when I was young and impressionable and it made me happy and excited. Now i revisit them often because of that wistful affection for the past, simpler, happy times I remember. I am not sure when it became cool to hate nostalgia (ok, probably during the Force Awakens backlash) - but this cynical, south park view of the world is depressing and boring.

I am excited by this movie for a number of reasons, one of those reasons is because of that little nostalgia tug i felt when I saw the Akira bike in action, another is because I can't wait for all the easter eggs (who didn't pause Wreck it Ralph once or twice for that very purpose?) - Will it be a good movie? I don't care. It looks like a fun movie and it looks like a movie that revels in all the things i loved growing up.

So, my own admission that Force Awakens and Jurassic World are enjoyable bits of nostalgic fun wasn't enough to dismiss the notion that I hate RPO solely because it's nostalgia-bait?
My comment that it's not a "celebration or simple nostalgia trip" wasn't enough?
My indictment of its writing style, prose, structure, and assertions about its main character being a terrible person weren't enough?

There's nothing NECESSARILY wrong with a little nostalgia love. You think I liked Stranger Things solely because it was good? Nah, bruv. It WAS good, but it also had an authentic nostalgic feel to it. When done right, and integrated properly, a bit of nostalgic bliss can be a lot of fun...and anyone who ACTUALLY REALLY pays attention to South Park would see that too. They do things in that way where they simultaneously mock and praise things. They're not undermining all callbacks and references, they're undermining nostalgia for nostalgia's sake...

...and that brings us to Ready Player one. There's nothing authentic or nostalgic about literally LISTING things from another time. There's nothing nostalgic about Easter Eggs and references and dropping a thing from another thing into the thing you're thing is a thing of a thing about (what?)...the nostalgia comes not just from SEEING a thing but from remember the way it FELT...its atmosphere, the EXPERIENCE. Just watching an Akira bike squirt around CGI landscape while King Kong roars in the background doesn't hit a nostalgic nerve...it hits a nerd referential nerve. There's nothing about that moment that looks or feels anything actually like Akira or Kong...there's nothing about anything in Ready Player One that ACTUALLY feels like the stuff it's referencing, it's just lazy references. "This made me think of that part in Blade Runner so I did this which then made me think of a DIFFERENT part in Blade Runner which because of my thoughts made me think of ANOTHER part in Blade Runner." That's not nostalgia-bait, that's just name-dropping.

The Sandlot trades in on nostalgia. A Christmas Story is RIFE with nostalgia. Ready Player One trades in on references. There's a difference.

It's also a crap story about crap people written by a crap writer.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television