Disney News Thread

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Disney News Thread

Postby lhb412 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 pm

This is good for the Fantastic Four (and Dr. Doom and Silver Surfer) and the prospect of getting the original Star Wars movies in their theatrical editions, and bad for... everything else. One company shouldn't be in charge of this much of our culture. It's bad bad bad bad bad bad bad.

I mean, I like the Silver Surfer, but this isn't god-dang worth it, guys!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 pm

i wonder what they are going to do with the megaman movie?
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:24 am

Gretchen, stop trying to make Megaman happen. It's not going to happen.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:19 am

lhb412 wrote:This is good for the Fantastic Four (and Dr. Doom and Silver Surfer) and the prospect of getting the original Star Wars movies in their theatrical editions, and bad for... everything else. One company shouldn't be in charge of this much of our culture. It's bad bad bad bad bad bad bad.

It's not bad because there are still plenty of movie studios to compete with them. WB, Sony, A24, Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks, Lions Gate Films, Legendary, IFC, etc.

Plus, I don't see why it matters when Disney always puts the best quality they can into their movies.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 pm

It's a good thing about DreamWorks. had this happened a couple of years ago, they would have been swallowed up. Going from Amblin, to Paramount, to Fox, and fortunately in 2016, now to Universal. DW has produced some great stuff, but they seem to be the orphan that keeps getting passed around form studio to studio. I just wonder whats going to happen to Blue Sky (foxs animation studio). Disney already has 2 animation studios, do they need/want a 3rd? Or are we just going to keep getting endless Ice Age sequels :roll: TBH I like most of Blue Sky's stand alone films. Robots was fun, as was Horton & Epic. The Ice Age franchise however should have gone the straight to DVD route about 3 films ago.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:31 pm

lhb412 wrote:This is good for the Fantastic Four (and Dr. Doom and Silver Surfer) and the prospect of getting the original Star Wars movies in their theatrical editions, and bad for... everything else. One company shouldn't be in charge of this much of our culture. It's bad bad bad bad bad bad bad.

I mean, I like the Silver Surfer, but this isn't god-dang worth it, guys!

Precisely! It's disheartening to see how much of the online coverage and discussion about this sale is just laser-focused on the Marvel properties.

Even just in terms of IP ownership, this goes way beyond Marvel's stuff. Film franchises like Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Die Hard, Alien, The Omen, Independence Day, Predator

'80s/'90s favorites like The Princess Bride, Big, Romancing the Stone, Edward Scissorhands, The Fly, Cocoon, Wall Street, Highlander, Speed, Bachelor Party, Revenge of the Nerds, Home Alone, Commando, Weekend At Bernie's, Big Trouble in Little China

Even classics like The Sound of Music, Cleopatra, The Poseidon Adventure, Patton, Young Frankenstein, The French Connection, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Rocky Horror Picture Show

They're ALL about to be swallowed into The Walt Disney Company's already-massive portfolio, and that's just scratching the surface, and those are just film properties! Disney is also buying 20th Century Fox Television's assets, including the FX cable networks, which means that Disney will soon own popular TV franchises like The Simpsons, The X-Files, Archer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, American Horror Story, Family Guy, Ally McBeal, 24, M*A*S*H, Futurama, Empire, Arrested Development, Firefly, American Dad, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia… again, just scratching the surface.

Dr Kain wrote:It's not bad because there are still plenty of movie studios to compete with them. WB, Sony, A24, Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks, Lions Gate Films, Legendary, IFC, etc.

Plus, I don't see why it matters when Disney always puts the best quality they can into their movies.

Where do I even begin…

Dreamworks hasn't distributed any of their own movies since 2005, and Legendary has never distributed their own movies. Both of those studios have distribution deals with Universal for their upcoming releases.

Small-scale distributors like A24 and IFC are literally no competition to Disney. Even among the biggest studios (Warner Bros., Universal, Fox, Sony, Paramount, Lionsgate), Disney is already at a point where they're standing head-and-shoulders above all competition. Look at their 2016 market share of the North American box office (Buena Vista = Disney):

Disney had 16 movies in theaters (13 new releases and 3 holdovers released in the prior year) which grossed $3 billion in domestic box office revenue during 2016. The runner-up was Warner Bros. with 35 movies grossing $1.9 billion.

Disney's 16 movies drew more than a quarter of all domestic box office revenue in 2016. If that had been combined with the 13.4 percent shared by 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight, Disney's releases would have made up nearly 40 percent of North American box office revenue in 2016. That will be a legitimate possibility once this sale goes through.

2016 was the first year that began and ended with a new Star Wars film playing in theaters. Disney intends to release at least one new Star Wars movie per year for the foreseeable future.

From buying Pixar to buying Marvel to buying Lucasfilm, Disney has strategically dominated the blockbuster tentpole game. Coupled with the resurgence of Walt Disney Animation Studios and the gold mine of remaking their animated classics as live-action events, it's no contest at this point. Just look at what Disney already has on the docket for 2018 and especially 2019:

This sale represents the biggest film studio in Hollywood swallowing up one of the biggest of its few competitors. This is not a good thing.

O.Supreme wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:
O.Supreme wrote:I just don't get why people want movies based on Superheroes, but are not true to the source material?

For the same reason why I wouldn't want to read a Godzilla comic book that's just a scene-for-scene recreation of an existing Godzilla movie. :o

The reverse is not the same comparison, but Dark Horse did release the Manga adaptation of Return of Godzilla back in the 1980's, I thought it was great. Imagine if IDW was able to make an adaptation from any showa film! :shock: , I'd be all over that, too bad IDW's license expired.

Yeah no, it's exactly the same comparison. Marvel/DC heroes started out as comic book characters and have since been adapted to movies. Godzilla started out as a movie character and has since been adapted to comic books. None of them are bound to recreate the exact same artistic works across different forms of media.

Funnily enough, I actually did read that black-and-white manga adaptation of The Return of Godzilla back in 2000. I remember borrowing it from a library just because it was Godzilla-related and it wasn't until I was reading it that I realized it was just an adaptation of G'84. I don't remember many specifics about the manga. I do remember that it had Maki publishing photos of Naoko's reunion with her brother, which I didn't previously know about since I had only seen the G'85 cut of the movie at that time. I also remember that when Godzilla reaches the reflective building in Tokyo, he pauses to look at his reflection for a moment before wrecking it. It's telling that the only memorable parts of the manga adaptation are parts that differed from what I had seen in the movie. :P

The last thing I would have wanted from IDW is for them to publish faithful remakes of specific Godzilla movies. What would be the point if not to do things differently from the source material?

O.Supreme wrote:If this deal leads to an X-Men movie that tells a proper origin (No Wolverine necessary) and actually has them in their costumes at some point, it will all be worth it. Also, I know it will take a couple years, but now the X-Men and F4 can be restored to their rightful place in Marvel Comics and all related media instead of them being needlessly shunned for *reasons* .

Do you really think it's worth Disney buying out Fox and the seismic shift this will have on the entertainment industry just to get most of the Marvel properties back under one roof? I think the cons outweigh the pros by a titanic margin here.

Plus, Marvel (both before and after Disney bought them) has shown no compunction about changing character costumes for their film adaptations when they feel it's best. That's not something exclusive to Fox's X-Men films.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Remember when Disney bought the Muppets and it was like, "AWESOME! We'll get a bunch of Muppet stuff now!" and then the two movies didn't do great at the box office and the show got canceled and now Muppets is basically dead?

Do you guys really think DISNEY is gonna sink money into Alien, Predator, Die Hard, Planet of the Apes, and all those ancillary X-Men movies? We'll be lucky if Deadpool keeps going, but other than that, it'll just be X-Men in MCU movies. Say goodbye to any of those smaller characters. Those of you who've gotten sick of just seeing Storm, Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean, and a handful of others, do you think DISNEY is gonna pull deep cuts?

And what about Fox Searchlight? You think that's still gonna be a thing? Disney doesn't care about small little indies, and now there's one less thing for a guy like Guillermo Del Toro to sell a movie like The Shape of Water to.

If you've gotten blockbuster fatigue, it's only gonna get worse. Like Ben just said, Disney only put out 16 movies last year to the tune of $3 billion domestic. WB put out 35. Over twice as many movies, for a third the money. You think Disney is gonna pump out 40 movies? No. They'll keep to a couple of Fox's biggest most hugest big giant huge money makers and everything else will be collecting dust forever.

What's Disney gonna do with a guy like Seth Macfarlane? Or any of the Fox TV shows you might watch? Think beyond a couple of the major franchises, because this includes everything and none of it's gonna be the same.

All for the sake of trying to make the Disney streaming service competitive with Netflix. We're rapidly approaching a time where all entertainment will be owned by Disney, Netflix, WB, Universal (maybe), and then maybe like a couple small little companies with their little niches like Hulu or IFC. That's not a good thing.

Yay! We're gonna get Wolverine in costume in an Avengers movie!!

Huzzah! Let's cheer for the death of dozens of other characters, franchises, styles of movie, filmmakers' dreams, and creativity, because at least we get to see some yellow spandex.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Well said Ben and jelly!

Honestly, one of the first things I thought of a week ago was "What about those two films Guillermo del Toro has in development at Fox Searchlight?"
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:44 pm

lhb412 wrote:Well said Ben and jelly! ...

Ditto!

Disney buying 20th Century Fox and Fox television strikes me only as a bad idea all around. If nothing else it further reduces the number of major players in the movie and television industries. Disney already owns their own networks, ABC, ESPN, and they are half-owners of A&E Networks (A&E, History Channel, Lifetime, FYI,) and more besides; combining all of that with what Disney could end up with in the Fox deal just seems like far too much for one company to control. (Yes you read that right -- Disney are half owners of Ancient Aliens)

I truly hope that Congress puts the kibosh on the deal ASAP.

P.S. THEORY TIME: Disney ordered A&E to end DUCK DYNASTY because Disney had begun working on the new DUCKTALES show and they did not want internet chatter about their owning two shows with one duck dynasty known for hunting the species of the other duck dynasty.
Last edited by The Shadow on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:51 pm

lhb412 wrote:Ben and jelly!

Is that a brand of Japanese ice cream?
Dai
Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Everybody Should Be Very Afraid of the Disney Death Star
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... ox/548492/

the mouse is out to eat every one if it can.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:17 pm

I hope they buy DC next.

Geek Tyrant:
How Marvel almost Ended up Owning DC Comics Superman, Batman & More
Joey Paur wrote:Can you imagine a world in which Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern belonged to the Marvel Universe? Apparently it actually almost happened! one of Marvel's most controversial editors, Jim Shooter, revealed that Marvel almost bought a bunch of these DC comics superhero properties back in the early 80's.

Back in 1984 DC Comics was going through a rough time, while Marvel was thriving and dominating the market. Because of DC's hard times Bill Sarnoff of Warner Communications contacted Shooter and told him they were interested in offering them the licensing and publishing rights for all DC characters.

Here's the full explanation of what went down with this deal via Shooters blog,
Bill said, more or less, that Marvel seemed to be able to turn a substantial profit on publishing comics, as opposed to DC, which consistently lost money, a lot of money, and had for a long time. On the other hand, LCA (Licensing Corporation of America), Warner’s licensing arm did very well with the DC properties, while Marvel “didn’t seem to do much licensing.”

I guess the few million a year we made from licensing, mostly from Spider-Man, seemed paltry to him, what with the fortune that just their big four, Superman, Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman brought in.

I told him I thought Marvel would be very interested, and that I would discuss it with Marvel’s President, Jim Galton.

So, I did. I told Galton about my conversation with Sarnoff. Galton said he’d give Sarnoff a call.

The next day, I went upstairs, poked my head into Galton’s office and asked whether he’d called Sarnoff and, if so, how that went?

Galton said he told Sarnoff we weren’t interested.

I was stunned. Why not?!

Galton said—and this is prima facie evidence of the fact that he missed Comic Books 101 in publishing school—since DC books weren’t selling, “those characters must not be any good.”

Great Krypton!

Trying not to sound too crazed, I explained that they were great characters and that the DC editorial people were, frankly, doing a pretty poor job with them. And that we could do better. A lot better.

I talked him into calling Sarnoff back and telling him we’d give it some thought.

I left his office with instructions to put together a business plan and present it to Joe Calamari, Executive V.P. of Business Affairs.

It took me about three days to put together a presentable plan.

The first part of the business plan was the publishing plan. I decided that we should launch with seven titles and build from there, if all went well. The titles were:

SUPERMAN
BATMAN
WONDER WOMAN
GREEN LANTERN
TEEN TITANS
JUSTICE LEAGUE
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES

I projected that we would sell 39 million copies the first two years generating a pre-tax profit (gross revenues less cost of goods sold, royalties, staff, SG&A, etc.) of roughly $3,500,000.

That was huge money for a comic book publisher in 1984.

That was with just the original seven titles—no expansion of the line—though if we were doing that well, obviously, we’d add titles. Slowly and carefully, if I had anything to say about it.

I anticipated adding one editor, two assistants and one production person to start.
Calamari enthusiastically endorsed my plan.

Galton was still skeptical. He thought my projections were crazy high. He sent the plan to the circulation department to review.

Somebody leaked. Rumors spread.

My first clue was when John Byrne showed up in my office one day with his cover for…

It wasn’t a sketch. It was a cover. Might even have been inked, I forget. I don’t have a copy of the thing, but I’ll bet Byrne still has the original. Somebody should ask him to display it on his site if he hasn’t already.

He had a story worked out, too, as I recall. He reallyreallyreally wanted to do Superman.

I think I remember Byrne telling me once that he had watched the first Superman movie over 1,100 times.

Anyway….

When the circulation department said they had completed their analysis of my plan, Galton called a meeting to discuss it. Besides Galton and me, Ed Shukin, V.P. of Circulation and Direct Sales Manager Carol Kalish were present. I don’t think Calamari was there. V.P. of Finance Barry Kaplan might have been.

Galton asked what Shukin’s take on my numbers was. Shukin said the numbers were “ridiculous.” Galton sort of smirked at me.

“We’ll do more than DOUBLE these numbers,” Shukin said.

Oh, my stars and garters!

And so, negotiations with Sarnoff began in earnest. I was a spectator at that point. The suits took over.

However….

Very soon thereafter, First Comics launched a lawsuit against Marvel Comics and others, alleging anti-trust violations, among other things.

One test of anti-competitive market dominance is market share of 70% or more. At that time Marvel held a nearly 70% share, 69-point-something. DC was around 18%.

I think it’s safe to say that when you’re being sued under anti-trust laws, it’s a bad time to devour your largest competitor.

On the other hand, there is the “we-have-a-clue-and-they-don’t” or “superior acumen” defense. We considered arguing that defense and pressing on with the deal.

But, no. Ultimately, the suits and lawyers decided to play it safe and backed away from the DC deal.

Jeepers!

P.S. First’s suit was nonsense. They alleged that we had flooded the market. Our actual increase in releases published during the “flood” year from the year before? Six. Six issues, not series. They alleged that we had used our dominance to fix prices with World Color Press to inflate their costs. In discovery, it came out that we were paying more than they were! (And that news made Galton and the print production people very peeved!) Etc.

Anyway….

I’ll write more about the First suit someday. Enough about that for now.

Net result, no SUPERMAN –First Marvel Issue! Too bad. It would have been fun.

Wow! Can you believe that!? Had there not have been that lawsuit, this could have been a done deal, and Marvel could have owned the DC Universe. It's crazy! It makes me wonder how these characters would have turned out with Marvel developing them. Would they have been better or worse?
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Jim Shooter's blog is incredible -- definitely spend time reading through his past entries.
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:26 am

THR DECEMBER 29, 2017:
'Star Wars' Franchise Crosses $4 Billion, Eclipsing Disney's Lucasfilm Price
Pamela McClintock wrote:From the get-go, Wall Street analysts lauded The Walt Disney Co.'s decision in 2012 to buy Lucasfilm — home of George Lucas' Star Wars franchise — despite a high price tag of $4.06 billion.

They weren't wrong in their enthusiasm for Disney chairman-CEO Bob Iger's empire-building.

Combined, Disney and Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Stars Wars: The Force Awakens have surpassed $4.06 billion in ticket sales at the worldwide box office. While an interesting benchmark, it doesn’t, of course, account for the hundreds of millions spent to produce and market the trio of films, or the fact that Disney splits box-office grosses with theater owners. Conversely, Disney has minted additional money from lucrative ancillary revenue streams, merchandising sales and theme park attractions.

Opening in North America on Dec. 15, The Last Jedi zoomed past the $900 million mark on Thursday, finishing the day with $934.2 million globally, including $464.6 million domestically and $469.6 internationally (it doesn't land in China until Jan. 5). The sequel to The Force Awakens was directed by Rian Johnson, and has dominated the Christmas corridor. The Last Jedi will jump the $1 billion mark over New Year's weekend on its way to becoming the top-grossing 2017 release, eclipsing the $1.264 billion earned by fellow Disney title Beauty and the Beast.

In December 2015, filmmaker J.J. Abrams' The Force Awakens shattered numerous records on its way to grossing $2.068 billion globally, including an all-time best $936.7 million in North America, not accounting for inflation.

Filmmaker Gareth Edwards' Rogue One, a standalone film released in December 2016, earned $1.056 billion worldwide. Last Jedi should ultimately land between the two films in terms of its lifetime gross.

The Lucasfilm purchase followed Disney's 2009 acquisition of Marvel Entertainment and its 2006 purchase of Pixar, all engineered by Iger. The stable of companies, along with the studio's own live-action division and Disney Animation, has propelled Disney to become the most successful film studio in Hollywood, led by chief Alan Horn.

Iger's biggest bet is yet to come: The $52.4 billion acquisition of major parts of 21st Century Fox, including the 20th Century Fox film and television studios.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Not So Fast: Congress Calls For A Hearing Regarding The Disney Buyout Of 21st Century Fox
http://sciencefiction.com/2017/12/19/no ... ntury-fox/

one would hope.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:46 am

One might call it A New Hope
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:11 am

VARIETY JANUARY 4, 2018:
Ridley Scott in Talks to Direct ‘Merlin Saga’ Adaptation at Disney (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll wrote:Ridley Scott might have found his next directing project: “The Merlin Saga” for Disney.

Scott’s production company Scott Free is also in negotiations to produce along with Gil Netter. Philippa Boyens is the writer.

Disney and Scott’s reps could not be reached for comment. While a deal isn’t closed yet, sources close to the situation believe this will be Scott’s next movie.

Based on the T.A. Barron books, the series followed the origin story of a young Merlin who would go on to become the mentor of the classic literary character King Arthur.

“Merlin Saga” is one of two films Disney is currently developing based on the Merlin character. The studio is also working on a live-action “Sword in the Stone,” on which Scott also met with execs.

While several films have focused on the King Arthur legend, the only high-profile story to focus specifically on the story of Merlin was the NBC miniseries “Merlin” that starred Sam Neill.

Tendo Nagenda and Foster Driver are overseeing the project.

Scott is coming off one of the busiest years in his career. The latest “Alien” movie, “Covenant,” bowed last May. He just recently released the J. Paul Getty story “All the Money in the World,” which he began shooting shortly after “Covenant.”

“All the Money in the World” star Kevin Spacey was jettisoned following allegations of sexual assault and harassment by a number of men, including Anthony Rapp, who said Spacey made a pass at him when he was underage. Scott made the unprecedented move of replacing Spacey with Christopher Plummer and reshot his scenes in a matter of weeks in time for the film’s Christmas Day release.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:59 pm

mr.negativity wrote:VARIETY JANUARY 4, 2018:
Ridley Scott in Talks to Direct ‘Merlin Saga’ Adaptation at Disney (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll wrote:Ridley Scott might have found his next directing project: “The Merlin Saga” for Disney.

Scott’s production company Scott Free is also in negotiations to produce along with Gil Netter. Philippa Boyens is the writer.

Disney and Scott’s reps could not be reached for comment. While a deal isn’t closed yet, sources close to the situation believe this will be Scott’s next movie.

Based on the T.A. Barron books, the series followed the origin story of a young Merlin who would go on to become the mentor of the classic literary character King Arthur.

“Merlin Saga” is one of two films Disney is currently developing based on the Merlin character. The studio is also working on a live-action “Sword in the Stone,” on which Scott also met with execs.

While several films have focused on the King Arthur legend, the only high-profile story to focus specifically on the story of Merlin was the NBC miniseries “Merlin” that starred Sam Neill.

Tendo Nagenda and Foster Driver are overseeing the project.

Scott is coming off one of the busiest years in his career. The latest “Alien” movie, “Covenant,” bowed last May. He just recently released the J. Paul Getty story “All the Money in the World,” which he began shooting shortly after “Covenant.”

“All the Money in the World” star Kevin Spacey was jettisoned following allegations of sexual assault and harassment by a number of men, including Anthony Rapp, who said Spacey made a pass at him when he was underage. Scott made the unprecedented move of replacing Spacey with Christopher Plummer and reshot his scenes in a matter of weeks in time for the film’s Christmas Day release.

can Merlin and sword in the stone make them a billion dlorers ?
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: The Sword in the Stone

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:52 pm

THR JANUARY 19, 2018:
Disney's 'Sword in the Stone' Live-Action Remake Finds Director (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, perhaps best known for directing the zombie thriller 28 Weeks Later, is in negotiations to helm The Sword in the Stone, Disney's live-action reimagining of the studio's 1963 animated fantasy.

Bryan Cogman, a writer-producer on HBO fantasy series Game of Thrones, wrote the script for the project, which is being produced by Brigham Taylor (The Jungle Book).

Sword in the Stone was the final movie released by the studio before Walt Disney’s death; it takes a lighthearted view of the legend of King Arthur, focusing on the young Arthur being mentored by the magician Merlin. It was loosely based on T.H. White’s novel of the same name, which later became part of White’s multibook Arthurian fantasy, The Once and Future King.

Sword in the Stone is the second Arthurian project Disney is developing, as it also is working on The Merlin Saga, with Ridley Scott circling the tale of the powerful wizard's rise.

Louie Provost is overseeing Sword in the Stone for the studio.

Fresnadillo’s hiring points to the direction in which the remake will head. The filmmaker is known for his dark tones and helmed the 2011 horror movie Intruders as well as the pilots for the USA thriller Falling Water and CBS’ end-of-the-world drama Salvation.

Fresnadillo is repped by UTA.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Not So Fast, Disney: Could a Comcast/Fox Deal Derail Their Acquisition Plans?
http://www.slashfilm.com/comcast-fox-deal/

if they can stop the Disney blob it will be a better day.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:28 am

They're Disneyland superfans. Why a lawsuit is alleging gangster-like tactics against one social club
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-d ... story.html

Disney not trying to thwart Netflix, executive says
http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywo ... latestnews
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:30 pm

phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:51 pm

The Ringer:
The Disney Decade
"Here’s how the Mouse House took over moviegoing in the 21st century, and what that means."
Sean Fennessey wrote:Fox Searchlight is a small outfit, producing approximately eight films a year, with a handful routinely emerging as awards contenders that eventually flower into box-office hits. (Think Slumdog Millionaire, Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Descendants, and the recent Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.) It’s a micro-studio that operates with precision, flexibility, and foresight.

Disney’s acquisition of Fox had some wondering if Searchlight—which finances movies at modest budgets (The Shape of Water cost just $19.5 million)—had a future inside the Mouse House, home mostly to globe-conquering entertainments. Since 2010, when it severed a 17-year relationship with Miramax, Disney has not overseen an arthouse production company. “We have every intention of maintaining the operations at Fox Searchlight,” Iger said on March 8. “We don’t have any plans right now to change what they do.” Searchlight, which will roll out Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs this week, can breathe a sigh of relief. For now.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:25 am

Disney does great work and has the talents of a lot of amazing people, but I can't help but be frightened of their scale and dominance. They are becoming a kaiju: basically innocent, but destructive due to their size alone.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:53 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Remember when Disney bought the Muppets and it was like, "AWESOME! We'll get a bunch of Muppet stuff now!" and then the two movies didn't do great at the box office and the show got canceled and now Muppets is basically dead?

The 2 Muppet Movies (2011 & 2013) were great fun, and my kids love them. The TV show was terrible because it tried to stray from what the muppets really was. It's NOT an adult sitcom, Disney is not to blame for that. Look, I'm not a proponent of Disney, in fact prior to purchasing Henson, Marvel, and Lucasfilm, I couldn't care les., I really didn't like any of their animated films, they just happen to purchase properties I do have an interest in. When I look at Marvel Animated Series, movies, video games and any media prior to 2012, it fills me with great satisfaction that all marvel's characters could exist together, even if movie rights were spread across different studios. Now It just frustrates me to no end knowing that whatever Movie, TV series, game, or cartoon Marvel (under Disney) produces, there are all these restrictions. Kind of like Dark Horse Godzilla, when they only had the right to use Godzilla, none of their *in house* monsters were really that great I mean "Cybersaur' REALLY? But with IDW we got all 3 Mechagodzilla's along with almost every other Toho Kaiju. THAT is what I'm talking about. Infinity War I'm sure is going to be this HUGE Billion + Dollar phenominon. But for my money, I would have preferred a full blown animated film from one of the top studios in japan in the late 90's early 2000's, a full 2-3 hours long, and include every character that was in the original story.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television