[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Varan: The Unbelievable Thread • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Varan: The Unbelievable Thread

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby The Real McCoy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:15 am

The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:24 am

"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:27 am

The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:45 am

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:14 am

Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Giganfan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:31 pm

I've always had a soft spot for Varan The Unbelievable. I think it's because when I saw the original Japanese version for the first time, I was actually surprised by how it looked, sounded and...smelled like your typical Toho kaiju epic. Having seen the Myron Healy U.S. version back in '93 and not being impressed at all by it even at the young age of 8-years old, Daikaiju Baran looked like one of the best monster movies I'd ever seen! Now, of course, it is far from that, and to be honest, watching it today, I find it a bit dull and uninspired, but there's still some good stuff in there, chief among them is the brilliant score by Akira Ifukube. To my taste, it's his best ever, atleast from what I've heard. Also, I've always thought Varan was a really cool kaiju, both in design and execution. He is my "dark-horse" favorite of Toho's monster gallery, and it's a shame that he never made it into more films. I would have REALLY loved to see him play a more active role in Destroy All Monsters, and I really REALLY wish he had made it into GMK as originally intended.

So no, not the best by any means, but I still think Varan The Unbelievable fits comfortably along-side the rest of Toho's classic fantasy films. Oh, and the "flying-squirrel" bit is really neat, even if it was only a brief shot in the movie. Imagine how cool it might have looked in subsequent flicks!
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:42 pm

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Yeah, when I saw the U.S. version, I couldn't believe how unfamiliar everything looked. It was so unlike what I was used to seeing in a Japanese monster movie, especially one produced by Toho. I mean, even the U.S. versions of other movies from the genre still maintained the basic tone and feel of the originals. I read somewhere that there's actually only 15-20 minutes of original footage in the U.S. Varan...TWENTY FRIGGIN' MINUTES!!! And everything else is so laughably awful too, so it's not like they replaced it with anything worthwhile.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 pm

The U.S. cut is like somebody tried to exclusively rip-off King of the Monsters...and failed.

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Varan: The Unbelievable Thread

Postby tbeasley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:18 pm

I really like the first half of this movie, before Varan flies off. It's quite spooky and I appreciate the theme of skepticism vs. superstition. It's the first Toho genre movie to feature the trinity of reporter, photographer and scientist, and when the military takes over in the second half I sort of zone out. Varan himself is very elemental and almost a fusion of Toho's earlier prehistoric reptiles - Godzilla, Anguirus and Rodan. It's a unique design and I could easily see him, Anguirus and Rodan fit in the universe set by Legendary.

~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Varan: The Unbelievable Thread

Postby Psycho Soldier » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:16 pm

Just finished watching the American cut. Well, they took a painfully dull film and made it painfully dull and frustrating. The biggest problem, of course, is Myron Healey's character. This condescending jackass shows little respect for the islanders near the lake, accepts no responsibility for waking up Varan, and perhaps worst of all, gets all the credit for defeating Varan. Because he's a brilliant white man of science, you see. For the most part, he's also conveniently far away from danger - including the danger of losing his job for waking up a monster, despite being warned what would happen. The script could have gone into some interesting issues around the desalination, but it doesn't. So the American footage ends up aggravating and boring.

The Japanese footage doesn't escape unscathed, either. Ifukube's score has been dumped for some unmemorable stock cues, and Varan's roar has been replaced with quiet dog growls and an ill-fitting hissing scream. He doesn't fly in this version, though I'm not too wounded by that cut being made. Also, the film's title is Varan the Unbelievable, but the characters never actually call the monster Varan. Instead, he's called Obaki. I'd have been fine with the names being used interchangeably. Using only Obaki doesn't make much sense here.

So yeah. I have problems with every version of Varan, but I can safely rank the American cut the lowest. I'd file it away as nothing more than a historical curiosity. I'm not sorry to have watched it - I knew what I was in for - but I doubt I'll be watching it again soon.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!