[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Winged Lions, Space Chickens and Intergalactic Jelly-fish! • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Winged Lions, Space Chickens and Intergalactic Jelly-fish!

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Winged Lions, Space Chickens and Intergalactic Jelly-fish!

Postby Giganfan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:36 pm

The other day, I received three of what many kaiju fans would consider the lesser of the genre in the mail, and I would like to comment on them. Before I go into individual mini-reviews for each movie (by the way, in case you didn't get it, the three movies are "Uchu Kaiju Dogora, "Uchu Kaiju Guilala" and "Latitude Zero"), I'd like to say that I enjoyed all three. Very interesting movies. And now, here's the verdict:

"Uchu Kaiju Dogora" (Space Monster Dogora)

I've actually seen this movie before, twice (I have the American version on VHS in all of it's hazy, pan-and-scan glory). I never really cared for it at first. But being the completist that I am, I had to get the Japanese version, widescreen and subtitled. And let me tell you, it made a world of difference! The Honda/Tsuburaya/Sekizawa team rarely got a chance to show their flair for straight-up comedy in their movies (King Kong vs. Godzilla being one exception), and in Dogora they prove that they have a real understanding of the form. I's be surprised if anyone actually watched this movie, in it's original Japanese version and took it seriously, because as far as I can see, it's not supposed to be viewed as such. That aside, the creative team and the cast are in top form. Honda's direction is great, the special effects are (for the most part) breathtaking and Ifukube's score is one of his best of the genre (one of my top favorites of his, mind you). And Robert Dunham rules!!!! :wink:

I give it 4 out of 5.

"Latitude Zero"

Well.....what can one say? I would imagine that Toho had a rough time making this movie. It does show. First off, Joseph Cotten is a great actor without question. It's always a treat to see him in a movie. But I think we can all agree that this was not one of his better MOVIES (I say movies with emphasis because any actor worth his salt can deliver a fine performance if the story is good. This movie sounds very promising, but the story was poorly written, making Cotten's performance look almost unprofessional. Still he makes due with what he has, despite the fact that LZ really isn't his kind of movie). And Caesar Romero....well, he's The Joker. Another actor who's always delightful to see. As for the other actors, it's pretty much a mixed bag. Akira Takarada doesn't master the English language, but he does a pretty good job. Akihito Hirata is kind of like a Japanese Bela Lugosi in his relatively minor role. It's clear he had trouble speaking in a foreign tongue. I didn't care much for the rest of the cast. Ishiro Honda isn't really on top of his game, but he does get a few good licks in (the montage of world events at the end when Lawton, the reporter is sent back to the surface was a nice touch). LZ being his last movie (as far as I know), Tsuburaya does his best for the amount of conflict he had to deal with (budget cut, health issues, etc.). The effects range from really poor (the creatures) to pretty impressive (the destruction of "Blood Rock," I think it's called), but they really make you wonder in what direction the genre would have gone if only Tsuburaya had lived a few more years. Overall not a good movie, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I'd watch it again.

2 and 1/2 out of 5

"Uchu Kaiju Guilala"

Another movie that I had seen before a couple of times but again, only in pan-and-scan. Widescreen really does work wonders for these movies! One thing you must realize when going into this movie is that it's not a Toho movie. The stlye of the production is very different. Shochiku was merely testing the waters, seeing as how Toho and Daiei had been so successful with the genre. This is pretty evident in that Guilala doesn't have as much screentime as he ought to have. They must not have wanted to spend so much money on this movie. But still, it's an enjoyable film. Guilala is a cool-looking monster, the quirkiness only adding to his appeal. I could see how some kiddies at the drive-in back in '67 would have been scared of this guy! The effects aren't all that great and the story is pretty wooden (as ar the performances), but if you just want to kick back and enjoy a simple little Japanese kaiju movie, this is one that I'd recommend. And the music catchy too!

3 out of 5

Call me a viciously biased fan of Toho movies (as my reviews for Dogora and LZ were much more in-depth than the one for Guilala), but in reality I enjoyed all three of these movies. My favorite would have to be Dogora, because in my opinion it's the most entertaining and the best-made. I've watched it twice already, and it's rapidly moving up the list as one of my favorite non-Godzilla Toho sci-fi movies.

So, rather than ask you what you think of my reviews (which sometimes, so many people practically beg you to do with posts this long or longer [I admit, I've done so in the past]!), I'd rather you focus on the movies themselves. For those who've seen these "lesser" :roll: classics of the olden days of science fiction cinema, what do you think of "Uchu Kaiju Dogora, Uchu Kaiju Guilala" and "Latitude......ZERO!?"
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby musukogoji » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:33 pm

"Latitude Zero" is hardly a lesser movie. It's certainly superior to "Godzilla's Revenge" and "Gamera vs. Guiron" released the same year.

The reason Cotten's performance suffers so much in the film is that because he was deathly ill when he made the movie. He told Ishiro Honda, "just prop me up on a board somewhere and shoot close-ups, then use a double for long shots." And that's what they did.

If you want me to expound on this, I will, but I'll have to read up on it again first.
<Vicious> "YOU ARE SAYING IMPUDENCE TO ME! THAT IS IMPUDENCE!" <Spike> OMGWTF!!!1-- The Worst Cowboy Bebop Fanfic Ever.

musukogoji
Burning Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:36 pm

"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby August » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:46 pm

LZ was originally slated for a HUGE budget -- coming from co-producer Don Sharp -- but, the co-investment fell through, and Toho has already spent its side on the sets and miniatures (the monsters had yet to be made). Strictly on the miniature photography, the film is amazing -- the miniatures are HUGE (the marine vessel Fuji, seen at the top of the film, was 15 meters long!).

What underminds the movie is the ratty monsters (no pun intended) and the "rushed" feel of production, which was caused by the foreign investors backing out. All that taken into account, LZ is a lot of fun.

DOGORA is also a nice little picture -- originally envisioned as an epic in the vein of THE MYSTERIANS and BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE. But, the Spy Craze was in full gear, and so was Japan's domestic "underworld" flicks -- so, they crossed the genres again, as they had in the past with THE H-MAN. Fun movie, with a good raport between Dunham and Natsuki.

GUILALA! Dismissed. Underrated. Wacky. Cool. I look at it this way -- the more Japanese monsters, the merrier (I am)!

Peace!
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:02 pm

http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion_DK » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:59 pm

I haven´t seen Latitude Zero, are there any Kaiju in it?
I really like the design and concept of Dogorah and the scenes where it appears are great, but by and large the movie is very slow and terribly, terribly boring. Pity. Worth resurrecting for a Millenium Goji cameo!
X From Outer Space, I mean not a great film but far from the worst in the genre! Gulala is quirky looking but quite fun, I think it´s an OK film. That dreadful music in the dubbed version is annoying though.
Legion_DK

Postby Giganfan » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:26 pm

Giganfan

Postby el-brazo » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:14 pm

el-brazo

Postby August » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:55 am

August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dagarah72 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:32 pm

Dagarah72
Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:09 am

-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:50 pm

Xenorama
Monster 01

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!