[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Opinions of Gorath, The Mysterians, Battle in Outer Space? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Opinions of Gorath, The Mysterians, Battle in Outer Space?

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby SparkieGojira » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:20 am

SparkieGojira

Postby August » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:05 am

Since I always loved space adventure stories, I first fell in love with YAMATO when I saw the Bandai plastic model kits (Yamato, Cosmo Zero and Robot Analyzer) at a store at Japantown in 1975. Then, I met a kid who moved from Japan to San Francisco, who raved about YAMATO, and then I bought the first edition YAMATO manga from Akita Shoten by Leiji Matsumoto -- and was blown away with this Uchu Romansu (Romatic Space Opera).

In 1977, I bought the three-volume Akio Hio manga version (which I liked better than the Matsumoto version), the Symphonic Suite soundtrack album and some photo books released in conjunction with the feature film -- and got a serious case of Yamato Mania! I also later got the Drama LP for the English-language version, and was surprised to see a small story on the film in Famous Monsters magazine.

I continued to buy YAMATO merchandise and model kits, and books and records for ARRIVERDERCI YAMATO -- and jumped for joy when I saw a preview for a new series called STAR BLAZERS on my local television station: "IT'S YAMATO! IT'S YAMATO!"

Then, my Yamato Mania grew worse... I haven't been the same since.
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:34 am

^^ I can thank this man for single-handedly reviving the love I have for YAMATO a few months ago. And curse him for giving me a new hobby to finance!

Best purchase I made last year: Bandai BPX-01 Soul of Popynica 1/625 Starship Yamato. So lovely.

Oh, back on topic: I recently tracked down a US VHS release of GORATH, but will withhold judgement until I see the original Japanese version. I found it rather boring.

I find THE MYSTERIANS a visual and audio feast! Absolutely love the SFX and the battle scenes. But I think it's rather slow paced, and am often tempted to fast forward through to the next SFX scene. Never actually saw the US version in the 60s or 70s (or any of these movies), which surprises me as we seemed to get all of the Toho kaiju classics.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I love BATTLE. I find the whole "UN" aspect so charmingly retro, love the soundtrack, the spaceships are classics, the scene where they pass the wreckage of the station very poignant, and the battle on the moon very rousing, almost up there with MYSTERIANS. And I love the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile. Maybe next year I'll get a new Toho Mechas series with *that*!
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby musukogoji » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:49 pm

<Vicious> "YOU ARE SAYING IMPUDENCE TO ME! THAT IS IMPUDENCE!" <Spike> OMGWTF!!!1-- The Worst Cowboy Bebop Fanfic Ever.

musukogoji
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:02 pm

August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!