Page 3 of 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 pm
by Mac
The Dark Uniter wrote:Sorry to disagree but Godzilla vs Gigan's story was less than average and most of the special effects was stock footage from previous movies. The story had aliens that are cockroachs. :P


Yeah, agreed. I'd argue that Godzilla vs Gigan has the worst production values of any Godzllla film, including Godzilla vs Megalon. It features the most stock footage of any kaiju film, the monster fight choreography is terrible, and there is literally no original score. I actually enjoyed the human plot to an extent (Even if it was campy), but its a worthless film.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:56 pm
by kiryugoji04
You shut your mouth! Godzilla Vs. Gigan is the best film in existence, bar none!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:42 pm
by skiddish
Benjamin Haines wrote: D-War is in the same boat as the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy, most of the Heisei Godzilla films and every made-for-SciFi Channel product as a movie that had a lot of money pumped into it just for the sake of being made, with emphasis on action scenes and fantastical effects and no coherent plot or innovative storytelling to justify its existence. Don't kid yourself about this garbage; it's soulless, manufactured moviemaking.


That comment jives with my thinking.
Your post is mostly centered around on how much money they spent on the effects that your brain is unwilling to give the crappy story and acting the same kind of free pass that you give to the equally bad Godzilla films. Done with cheaper effects.
Because the level of effects is on such a vastly different level than the rest of the film. Your brain is reacting negatively to that vast difference.
And I think this same thing is true for most of us.

I know that when I personally watch a big budget Hollywood film with great effects. I'm much more critical about the acting and story. Than if it was a Toho film with guys in rubber monster suits.

In the film studio's quest for the most awesome effects. Lies the hidden(very dangerous)side effect of those same wonderful effects drawing the viewers attention to the actors. More so than they would be if the effects were cheesy.
So you'd better make darn sure your story and actors have something good to say. Or they will hang you if it isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:48 pm
by MouthForWar
skiddish wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote: D-War is in the same boat as the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy, most of the Heisei Godzilla films and every made-for-SciFi Channel product as a movie that had a lot of money pumped into it just for the sake of being made, with emphasis on action scenes and fantastical effects and no coherent plot or innovative storytelling to justify its existence. Don't kid yourself about this garbage; it's soulless, manufactured moviemaking.


That comment jives with my thinking.
Your post is mostly centered around on how much money they spent on the effects that your brain is unwilling to give the crappy story and acting the same kind of free pass that you give to the equally bad Godzilla films. Done with cheaper effects.
Because the level of effects is on such a vastly different level than the rest of the film. Your brain is reacting negatively to that vast difference.
And I think this same thing is true for most of us.

I know that when I personally watch a big budget Hollywood film with great effects. I'm much more critical about the acting and story. Than if it was a Toho film with guys in rubber monster suits.

In the film studio's quest for the most awesome effects. Lies the hidden(very dangerous)side effect of those same wonderful effects drawing the viewers attention to the actors. More so than they would be if the effects were cheesy.
So you'd better make darn sure your story and actors have something good to say. Or they will hang you if it isn't.


Seriously dude, it honestly sounds like you're just making excuses as to why people didn't like it. None of these assumptions are based on anything other than you liking the movie more than others.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:57 pm
by skiddish
There are patterns to certain human behaviors.
For example. When a person enters a store. They tend to turn to the right out of habit.
When store owners found this out. They set up their stores to take advantage of that.

I didn't like the quality of story or the acting in D-War at all. I thought it was horrible. But I also realized that very few of these films do have good acting and plots. So why is it such a mortal sin for D-War. And not other kaiju films?

The answer to that question led me to the same reason I didn't like a lot of other big budget effects driven films.
I wasn't really hating the acting more than a similar film done with a lower budget. But because the effects were so great. My mind expected everything else to be as great as well.
And when it wasn't. I felt more let down and upset about it than the low budget films with cheesy effects and bad acting.

There's a lot of science behind what people like and don't like. And I find that whole subject interesting to think about. And I like to look for the patterns.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:33 pm
by zekend01
skiddish wrote:There are patterns to certain human behaviors.
For example. When a person enters a store. They tend to turn to the right out of habit.
When store owners found this out. They set up their stores to take advantage of that.

I didn't like the quality of story or the acting in D-War at all. I thought it was horrible. But I also realized that very few of these films do have good acting and plots. So why is it such a mortal sin for D-War. And not other kaiju films?

The answer to that question led me to the same reason I didn't like a lot of other big budget effects driven films.
I wasn't really hating the acting more than a similar film done with a lower budget. But because the effects were so great. My mind expected everything else to be as great as well.
And when it wasn't. I felt more let down and upset about it than the low budget films with cheesy effects and bad acting.

There's a lot of science behind what people like and don't like. And I find that whole subject interesting to think about. And I like to look for the patterns.


Yeah. I'm the same way. That's why I've forked out $27,000 on undergrad with good ol' grad school starting in a few weeks because I just lo-o-o-o-o-ove me some good ol' human psychology! Yeppers. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:13 pm
by Flame of Udin
Mac wrote:
The Dark Uniter wrote:Sorry to disagree but Godzilla vs Gigan's story was less than average and most of the special effects was stock footage from previous movies. The story had aliens that are cockroachs. :P


Yeah, agreed. I'd argue that Godzilla vs Gigan has the worst production values of any Godzllla film, including Godzilla vs Megalon. It features the most stock footage of any kaiju film, the monster fight choreography is terrible, and there is literally no original score. I actually enjoyed the human plot to an extent (Even if it was campy), but its a worthless film.


I know I didn't just stumble into a Dragon Wars topic to hearmore Gigan trashing...

Are you kidding me? Did you not notice the completely power title monster? and Angilas? and the awesomely shot battle at the harbor...completely engulfed in flames?! I can go on and on.

Granted, this was my first Godzilla movie ever so I wasn't exposed to any stock footage until I saw the other films/scores but I can still watch it today and love the heck out it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:34 pm
by kpa
Flame of Udin wrote:I know I didn't just stumble into a Dragon Wars topic to hearmore Gigan trashing...


Agreed. Any more discussion about GIGAN should go in the Talkback thread, not here. Please keep this thread on topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:36 pm
by skiddish
Speaking about the horrors of great effects combined with bad plots and poor acting.
I just found out there is a U.F.O. movie in the works.:o

All I can think of is how badly they're going to screw up one of my all time favorite 70's T.V. shows. By making it look pretty and not focusing enough on anything else.
I hope they do a lot better job with the writing and character development on this one than they did with the Thunderbirds. :puke:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:20 pm
by Pkmatrix
I feel D-War was a movie that had a ton of wasted potential - the SPFX were great and the actors were, IMO, decent (at least TV grade), but the writing... OMG THE WRITING!

At the very least, I felt D-War was worth watching for 3 reasons:

1. The effects were gorgeous, IMO.

2. The battle between the US military and the Dragon army in Los Angeles - it exuded utter coolness and, for me at least, made up for at least some of the absurdity of the script.

3. BURAKI. He is my favorite daikaiju villain, the ONLY character in the movie that I found at all interesting, perhaps even sympathetic. I loved Buraki's portrayal in the Mordor look-alike scenes - the character is probably the best actor in the entire film!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:03 am
by Benjamin Haines
skiddish wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote: D-War is in the same boat as the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy, most of the Heisei Godzilla films and every made-for-SciFi Channel product as a movie that had a lot of money pumped into it just for the sake of being made, with emphasis on action scenes and fantastical effects and no coherent plot or innovative storytelling to justify its existence. Don't kid yourself about this garbage; it's soulless, manufactured moviemaking.


That comment jives with my thinking.
Your post is mostly centered around on how much money they spent on the effects that your brain is unwilling to give the crappy story and acting the same kind of free pass that you give to the equally bad Godzilla films. Done with cheaper effects.
Because the level of effects is on such a vastly different level than the rest of the film. Your brain is reacting negatively to that vast difference.
And I think this same thing is true for most of us.

I know that when I personally watch a big budget Hollywood film with great effects. I'm much more critical about the acting and story. Than if it was a Toho film with guys in rubber monster suits.

In the film studio's quest for the most awesome effects. Lies the hidden(very dangerous)side effect of those same wonderful effects drawing the viewers attention to the actors. More so than they would be if the effects were cheesy.
So you'd better make darn sure your story and actors have something good to say. Or they will hang you if it isn't.


Hi Scott.

No, I don't give the same free pass to the equally bad Godzilla films. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla, in all their rubber-suited glory, are nestled snugly alongside D-War and X-Men: The Last Stand as movies that I could happily go the rest of my life without ever watching again. Despite the vast difference in effects quality, the bottom line is that they're all poorly thought out and poorly executed movies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:03 am
by ultrazilla2000
Benjamin, want to know what's REALLY, poorly thought out? GRABBING ONTO THE BACK OF A LARGE STINGRAY. Godzilla vs MG 2 kicks arse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:23 am
by zekend01
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:25 pm
by Pkmatrix
ultrazilla2000 wrote:Benjamin, want to know what's REALLY, poorly thought out? GRABBING ONTO THE BACK OF A LARGE STINGRAY. Godzilla vs MG 2 kicks arse.


Wow, that was in extremely poor taste... =/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 pm
by kiryugoji04
Pkmatrix wrote:
ultrazilla2000 wrote:Benjamin, want to know what's REALLY, poorly thought out? GRABBING ONTO THE BACK OF A LARGE STINGRAY. Godzilla vs MG 2 kicks arse.


Wow, that was in extremely poor taste... =/


Seriously.

And MGII bores me to tears. I honestly don't get why it's so popular.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:07 pm
by Mac
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 is a favorite among children. Obviously, this is why ultrazilla2000 enjoys it.

It is the dumbest Godzilla film ever, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 pm
by zekend01
No, it's frickin Citizen Kane, man.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:28 am
by The Dark Uniter
kiryugoji04 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
ultrazilla2000 wrote:Benjamin, want to know what's REALLY, poorly thought out? GRABBING ONTO THE BACK OF A LARGE STINGRAY. Godzilla vs MG 2 kicks arse.


Wow, that was in extremely poor taste... =/


Seriously.

And MGII bores me to tears. I honestly don't get why it's so popular.
I agree on that. I fell asleep on Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:54 am
by zekend01
Well Dark Uniter, you just should get more exercise and start eating better! :roll:

:lmfao:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:42 pm
by skiddish
Benjamin Haines wrote:Hi Scott.

No, I don't give the same free pass to the equally bad Godzilla films. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla, in all their rubber-suited glory, are nestled snugly alongside D-War and X-Men: The Last Stand as movies that I could happily go the rest of my life without ever watching again. Despite the vast difference in effects quality, the bottom line is that they're all poorly thought out and poorly executed movies.


Huh?My name isn't Scott.
My name is Josh.

Anyway. I still say that the better the effects are. The more critical people are about the acting and the plot of the film.
But I won't argue the point. Since I can't really prove it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:40 pm
by The Dark Uniter
zekend01 wrote:Well Dark Uniter, you just should get more exercise and start eating better! :roll:

:lmfao:
Sure. By the way, my real name is Tyler for future reference. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:42 pm
by zekend01
The Dark Uniter wrote:
zekend01 wrote:Well Dark Uniter, you just should get more exercise and start eating better! :roll:

:lmfao:
Sure. By the way, my real name is Tyler for future reference. :wink:


Sure. No problem Scott. *snickers*