TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby Gojizilla » Tue May 05, 2015 12:27 am

Why isn't there a talkback for this awesome movie?
Image
User avatar
Gojizilla
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:32 pm
Location: The South

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Tue May 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Gojizilla wrote:Why isn't there a talkback for this awesome movie?


War of the Gargantuas AND a Prophecies of Nostradamus signature? I'd like to think you have incredible tastes!


Having seen the International Dub, I kinda prefer that one over the UPA. I think Frankenstein Conquers The World has better pacing, but I just think WOG has a really large scope to it that I appreciate.
Image

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
User avatar
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3543
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:08 pm
Location: Bannana Republic

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby DannyBeane » Tue May 05, 2015 1:00 pm

WOTG is one of my favorite non-Godzilla Toho kaiju films, right up there with Rodan, Mothra and Atragon. The battle scenes are fantastic, the spfx are some of the best of the series and I really love each of the gargantuas as characters.
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2873
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue May 05, 2015 1:32 pm

DannyBeane wrote:The battle scenes are fantastic, the spfx are some of the best of the series and I really love each of the gargantuas as characters.


I agree with all of this, but then I don't give a crap about the human characters. Tamblyn lacks the energy of Adams and the film suffers for it. I really think the human cast are what place me in that strange group who don't think WoTG is the second coming. :/ I think had Adams come back and played the same-ish character I might think differently.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18249
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby DannyBeane » Tue May 05, 2015 2:49 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I agree with all of this, but then I don't give a crap about the human characters. Tamblyn lacks the energy of Adams and the film suffers for it. I really think the human cast are what place me in that strange group who don't think WoTG is the second coming. :/ I think had Adams come back and played the same-ish character I might think differently.


Even though I adore this film I will agree with you on the human characters. Its a shame it seemed like Russ Tamblyn was sleepwalking through this film. The guy is a top notch actor. Nick Adams would have been a blast. He always seemed like he was having fun in these co-productions.
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2873
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue May 05, 2015 7:34 pm

I've never considered this one of my favorites but I do like it a lot. I very much prefer the Japanese version and I wish Classic Media hadn't botched the framing for that version on their DVD release by stretching it vertically. As annoying as that is, I find the music alterations in the US version to be even more distracting and I don't have any nostalgic fondness for that English dub.

War of the Gargantuas is a fun movie. Frankenstein vs. Baragon, though, is one of my favorite kaiju films.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby walshiam » Tue May 05, 2015 10:45 pm

There's a reason why Tim Burton and Brad Pitt speak highly of this film. It's that good.
walshiam
Godzilla
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: Wichita, Kansas via Austin, TX

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby Gwangi » Wed May 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Image

Actually, it was great seeing all three at last year's Monsterpalooza in Burbank A real shame no Kumi Mizuno however! :(
User avatar
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:52 am
Location: El Toro, CA

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Wed May 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Gwangi wrote:Image

Actually, it was great seeing all three at last year's Monsterpalooza in Burbank A real shame no Kumi Mizuno however! :(


Awesome! Did they have anything in particular to say about that movie?
Image

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
User avatar
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3543
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:08 pm
Location: Bannana Republic

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby Gwangi » Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:
Gwangi wrote:Image

Actually, it was great seeing all three at last year's Monsterpalooza in Burbank A real shame no Kumi Mizuno however! :(


Awesome! Did they have anything in particular to say about that movie?


Unfortunately, the panel discussion for WotG was held on a Sunday, which I could not attend (and when this picture was taken curiosity of Jim Cirronella). I met them all the previous day. Tamblyn was actually quite flattered at the much love the movie has had and stated that it was good to see his co-stars after 48 years! I had him sign a Japanese WofG poster he had on his table (along with other memorabilia from his other features). And Kenji Sahara and Haruo Nakajima could not have been nicer, despite that language barrier (and it was great meeting Mr. Nakajima for the second time, first was at G-Fest in L.A. in 2000).
User avatar
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:52 am
Location: El Toro, CA

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:31 pm

I keep wanting to like it but this movie makes me fall asleep. >>
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
User avatar
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby Gojizilla » Fri May 22, 2015 12:19 pm

Is it possible Gaira is the same monster that got drug into the ocean by the giant octopus in Frankenstein vs. Baragon?
Image
User avatar
Gojizilla
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:32 pm
Location: The South

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:40 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:I keep wanting to like it but this movie makes me fall asleep. >>


These films have two directors: Honda and Tsuburaya. My opinion of this movie is that the Honda half is really dull (he apparently was very disappointed with his work here), while the Tsuburaya half is amazing.

I have wondered whether the longstanding popularity of this film may have the unintended consequence of supporting the stereotype that these movies are all about fun monster scenes amid dull human action, when in fact this film is the exception to the rule. We know that the Toho films of the '60s tend to have quirky and interesting human characters.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 12880
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby Gwangi » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:57 pm

lhb412 wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:I keep wanting to like it but this movie makes me fall asleep. >>


These films have two directors: Honda and Tsuburaya. My opinion of this movie is that the Honda half is really dull (he apparently was very disappointed with his work here), while the Tsuburaya half is amazing.

I have wondered whether the longstanding popularity of this film may have the unintended consequence of supporting the stereotype that these movies are all about fun monster scenes amid dull human action, when in fact this film is the exception to the rule. We know that the Toho films of the '60s tend to have quirky and interesting human characters.



Actually, I recall doing a top 10 human villains list for the Toho kaiju universe. And though he did not make the cut, I had to put Jun Tazaki's "General" as an honorable mention as a villain! Could not help it. For me, watching this as a kid, Tazaki's General, I thought, was just as bad as Gaira! :twisted:

All of the pleas and heartaches of trying to save Sanda, and he would stubbornly not listen, and in my book, that made him a bad guy! Watching it as an adult, I could understand his situation better, but I still consider him as one of the top Toho human villains in the series! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:52 am
Location: El Toro, CA

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby mbozzo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:40 pm

'The War Of The Gargantuas' is a fair movie. I might have like it as a kid, but it been a while since I last saw it. There was a rumor about it being a sequel to 'Frankenstein Conquer The World' but I still don't see how it could be. These two movies have very different stories. :o :shock:
mbozzo
Godzilla
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:19 pm

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby eabaker » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:24 am

mbozzo wrote:'The War Of The Gargantuas' is a fair movie. I might have like it as a kid, but it been a while since I last saw it. There was a rumor about it being a sequel to 'Frankenstein Conquer The World' but I still don't see how it could be. These two movies have very different stories. :o :shock:


War of the Gargantuas substantially re-writes the earlier movie's story, but it is a sequel, with Sanda taking the place of Frankenstein.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby Legion » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:31 am

I think what makes this one so popular is that it's only Toho film where two guys could really go at it with all-out, brutal physical fighting, and not be weighed down by heavy rubber, tails or large heads that obscured their yes. The fight at the end of the movie is very unique to this film, and the idea of a monster that's smaller than the typical Godzilla-size lurking not far away determined to eat you is legitimately scary.

I don't like this one was much as FCTW, but I can totally understand why others love it.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Greetings All,

Just trying to get some updated information. You may notice in my signature I am looking for the International dub of WotG. Now I was able to obtain a copy from a wonderful fan a couple of years back. However it has Swedish subtitles, and the quality isn't the greatest. When I go online, what little information I can dig up is that the *only* version out there is the Swedish version I have, but I have seen clips online of a cleaner looking video presentation with no Swedish subtitles. If anyone has any current info, this would be appreciated. Thank you.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby H-Man » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:54 am

O.Supreme wrote:Greetings All,

Just trying to get some updated information. You may notice in my signature I am looking for the International dub of WotG. Now I was able to obtain a copy from a wonderful fan a couple of years back. However it has Swedish subtitles, and the quality isn't the greatest. When I go online, what little information I can dig up is that the *only* version out there is the Swedish version I have, but I have seen clips online of a cleaner looking video presentation with no Swedish subtitles. If anyone has any current info, this would be appreciated. Thank you.


A fan has synced what's left of the international version (roughly 75 minutes in all) to Toho's HD master. That version is circulating online, illegally of course, as a custom DVD-R, and that's probably what you've seen. As far as I know, the only extant copy of the true international version is that spliced up, Dutch-subbed VHS rip.
Cody

Image
User avatar
H-Man
Godzilla
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 am

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks Cody,

I was hoping you would respond :wink: . As ever you are the man. Hope all is going well in your world.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:46 am

Twitter:
Spoiler Below:
Image
User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 6928
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:29 am

^I looked up that shop he's visiting. It's a real kaiju/anime cornucopia!
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 12880
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby DannyBeane » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:09 am

lhb412 wrote:^I looked up that shop he's visiting. It's a real kaiju/anime cornucopia!

What shop is he in?
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2873
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Re: TALKBACK: War of the Gargantuas

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:31 am

User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 12880
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Quentin Tarantino's War of the Blonde Gargantuas!

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Image
“War of the Gargantuas” turns Fifty!
Dave Fuentes wrote:*Not only did Quentin Tarantino site War of the Gargantuas as one of his all-time favorite monster movies, he instructed Darryl Hannah and Uma Thurman’s stunt doubles to study the film’s fight scenes for their epic battle in KILL BILL Vol. 2.


War of The Gargantuas (1966) Directed by Ishiro Honda
QT ordered the staff to shoot a miniature set of Tokyo like a landscape from the giant monster movie. He even screened a video of Gargantuas to Daryl Hannah because in his mind, Kill Bill is a kind of War of the Blonde Gargantuas.
more from imdb.com


Quentin Tarantino: The Complete Syllabus of His Influences and References
Larry Fitzmaurice wrote:War of the Gargantuas: 1966 Ishiro Honda monster film that served as inspiration for the miniature set of Tokyo shot specifically for the film; during the film's genesis, Tarantino specifically screened Gargantuas for Daryl Hannah as well.
User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 6928
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Next

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest