Kickstarter: Godzilla vs. Wolfman, Gamera 4, Raiga

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Kickstarter: Godzilla vs. Wolfman, Gamera 4, Raiga

Postby RaymondBurr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi fellas!

The Kickstarter for the documentary "Kaiju Gaiden" has now launched. The documentary is supposed to cover several independently made Japanese kaiju productions, including: Godzilla vs. the Wolfman, Gamera 4, Raiga, Matango 2, and Atragon 2.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/25 ... iju-gaiden

The way Kickstarter works, if you aren't familiar with the process, is that creators post their project and fans pledge money to support it. If enough people pledge to reach the funding goal, then the project is actually made.

I kind of think of it as pre-ordering. Each pledge level has a reward (e.g. pledge $25 and you will get a DVD of the Kaiju Gaiden documentary), so when you pledge to support the project, you get something tangible in return.

Here are some pics from their Kickstarter site. Check it out and support the project. I can't wait to see more of these films and hear from their creators!!!

LOBBY CARDS

THEATRICAL POSTER BY JEFF ZORNOW

THEATRICAL POSTER BY MATT FRANK

WOLFMAN CHIBI FIGURE

WOLFMAN SCULPTED BUST
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Re: Kickstarter: Godzilla vs. Wolfman, Gamera 4, Raiga

Postby klen7 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:01 pm

I'd like to see this succeed. Hope it can hit its goal.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:04 am

I was at the G-Fest panel for Kaiju Gaiden and it should be really cool. Its true fan films happen all the time, but these ones have a certain level of craft that sets them apart, partially due to many of them having the involvement of technicians that worked on that actual films involved. I plan on pledging some cash for this one. Should be a really cool doc.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby RaptorG » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 pm

I was at G-Fest this year and couldn't attend the panel. Anyway, pledge this morning and I hope that they succeed.
RaptorG
Godzilla Jr.

Postby klen7 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:47 am

i just bumped up my pledge on this. would really like to see it succeed..
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jrichreturns » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:08 am

I added mine and promoted it on my beer review channel.
-SEIG ZEON!
jrichreturns
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:23 am

i bumped mine up again... i'd really like to see this happen.
jrichreturns wrote:I added mine and promoted it on my beer review channel.

link?
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:36 pm

What a mess... So back in May backers (including myself) were told the film would be sent out Oct/Nov... In December we still hadn't heard anything. I started reaching out to anyone involved, and even reached out to people that had interviewed the campaign and all I got was silence and people that were equally in the dark.

This morning a very odd trailer dropped out of nowhere...
phpBB [media]

I was admittedly disappointed by the trailer lacking any evidence of completion but was happy that it was at least going to finally see the light of day..

Then this bombshell hits facebook

Hello, everyone. This is Mark Jaramillo, producer of KAIJU GAIDEN and curator of the Independent Kaiju Project, which has seen many rare tokusatsu films tracked down, catalogued, and promoted in the past three years.
It is with great disappointment in which I announce the removal of director David Hall from KAIJU GAIDEN. This has not been an easy decision, and I have consulted with involved parties for months now in reaching this course of action. The reason being it has been over a year since we shot the interviews in Japan, and David has only a hastily edited trailer to show for all of his time allegedly editing the film. As producer and brainchild of KAIJU GAIDEN, I have yet to see 10 seconds of edited footage from David despite promises since January 2015 that I would receive clips of the progress of the production. Also of great concern to me is David’s inability to account for the $30,591 raised via Kickstarter for the project and his failure to make good on any of the rewards for the backers of the project. David Hall set up the Kickstarter campaign under his own name, meaning he had SOLE ACCESS to the funds raised as well as the list of backers, which I have repeatedly asked for and he has failed to provide. I have at no time received a penny of the Kickstarter money. In fact, $5000 of the Kickstarter funds raised was donated by me.
I am also disturbed to learn from Kickstarter backers who have contacted David Hall that he is attempting to blame the lack of progress on composer John DeSentis, who was hired to provide the soundtrack for KAIJU GAIDEN. David has failed to pay John in full for the music written for the soundtrack, yet has demanded that John provide his work before settling the debt. I will go into the details of the arrangement in another post, but let me be absolutely clear on one thing: John DeSentis has acted with the utmost integrity and honesty in providing music for this project. I have heard the music that John has composed for the film and he did a fine job, in my opinion. I personally insisted on John’s involvement because of my deep respect for his work and dedication to music of the genre. Also, he is a longtime friend and I trust John implicitly. However, the same cannot be said for David Hall. Time and time again, David has demonstrated an inability to make good on promises and follow through with business transactions pertinent to the completion of KAIJU GAIDEN. It took my direct involvement to force David Hall in paying Robert Scott Field in full for his invaluable services during the filming of KAIJU GAIDEN in Japan. David also has refused to pay an outstanding debt to Chris Oglio, the Production Manager on KAIJU GAIDEN. David also still has yet to compensate artist Alex Merdich for the figures he produced as rewards for the Kickstarter backers. I find it deeply upsetting that David Hall has used my name and the years I have spent researching these films to collect money from the generous Kickstarter supporters, and has shown no interest in making good on his promises to us. I speak as a Kickstarter supporter, having pledged $5,000 of my own money to the campaign (and that’s not including all of my out-of-pocket production costs, including the costs of lodging, transportation, food, and various sundries for the entire crew during the 10-day shoot in Japan last year, none of which for have I received or even expected compensation).
David’s removal from the project is supported by Chris Oglio, Robert Scott Field, and John DeSentis, all of whom have been vital to the production of the documentary. Most importantly, I have the support of the men who are the subject of KAIJU GAIDEN. Shizuo Nakajima, Shinpei Hayashiya, Masahiko Katto, Fuyuki Shinada, Shingo Maehata, Kiyotaka Taguchi, and Takao Yoshiba have withdrawn their consent to having their names or images used by David Hall in any fashion.
KAIJU GAIDEN will be completed by myself with the help of many amazing and talented people who have offered to help in its final editing. I have all the raw footage we shot in Japan in my possession, as well as the various films to be featured. However, starting from square one will mean a significant delay. Also, I REFUSE to ask the fans for more money after the initial generous outpouring of support. I will pay for the completion of KAIJU GAIDEN out of my own pocket, much as I financed the appearances of WOLFMAN VS GODZILLA director Shizuo Nakajima and GAMERA 4 director Shinpei Hayashiya at previous G-FESTs. I am in the process of selling off my kaiju collection to fund the completion of the film. KAIJU GAIDEN is the culmination of years of research and all my work. I will personally make good on the final product and that it is up to my standards in quality and accuracy.
I sincerely hope David Hall makes good on the Kickstarter rewards he promised backers, whose money he collected over a year ago and has nothing to show for it. In the past year, David has sent out only one Kickstarter update, made no posts to the KAIJU GAIDEN Facebook page, and ignores most requests from backers asking the status of the project. I encourage all of the Kickstarter backers of KAIJU GAIDEN (I don’t know who most of you are since David has refused to provide me with a list of backers, their contribution amounts, and the rewards owed to them) to complain about David Hall to Kickstarter. He must be held accountable. I do thank David Hall for his involvement in the production of the film and will gladly credit him for the work he has done. Sadly, progress and communication on his part has been lacking since the completion of the Kickstarter campaign. Let me make it clear that I am not accusing David Hall of any impropriety, but simply pointing out deficiencies in timely action and determining his contribution to the project to be at an end. I also apologize to everyone for my own inexperience and unfamiliarity in the filmmaking process, and dependence upon the competency of others to produce this documentary. I will see KAIJU GAIDEN to its completion.
Further details about the events leading up to this decision will be posted in short order. Thank you to everyone for supporting my work in finding and bringing rare and obscure tokusatsu to the fans. Like all of you, I want answers from David Hall. I will no longer protect him by being silent.

Then after months and months of silence on kickstarter, we receive our second update of the day
Hello Everyone,
I woke up this morning to find Mark had posted his this as it lies on the facebook page, which he was given charge of when after I had started this.
The part people arnt getting is that this was Written, Directed, and Produced by me. Marks work toward this was spending 3,800 about in Japan. He also additionally spent 5k on kickstarter It saddens me, because I gave mark benefit after being sick and going through a divorce to keep him on. He told me he would post on facebook to protect me while I worked on film and did my part.
FYI to my backers this IP is owned by IppoProduction, Everything is filed under it. I can't be removed.
I will be showing off many many files I have, all the emails, and even parts of the script. Im giving Mark 24 hours to appolagize, I will now make a post about financial costs, and how a very detailed display. Including the money John and Chris took from me. I hate airing dirty laundry.
I will contact people I worked with and make sure I can show off their statesments of paying. Please be patient with me during this time.
My plan is still to release as normal.
-David

Anyway, this doesn't bode well for any sort of finished product.

i'll try to keep this thread up to date for posterity. That way we can look back at it like we do with other trainwrecks, but i'll still crossing my fingers that this can be salvaged...
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:02 am

And then John DeSentis appeared in the comments on Mark's post:

Hi! I'm John DeSentis. You might know me from conducting the concerts IFUKUBE 100 and SYMPHONIC FURY. As it turns out, I was asked to score Kaiju Gaiden and paid half of a sum up front to begin development work on it.

Great news! I actually did an early synth demo for Mark and David and sent it to him to see if they liked the idea. I was told to go with it. So I spent the spring and summer doing exactly what I was paid for, writing music. All this time, David refused to sign my contract.

How it goes in the professional world is you sign a contract for work. This locks both parties into an agreement. Seeing as that was never done, my good friend and Executive Producer Mark Jaramillo gave me explicit instructions NOT to hand ANYTHING over to David until he signed our agreement. I made it really easy for him. He didn't do it. Therefore he didn't get anything.

Any questions?

So yeah. There's a joke somewhere about Kaiju Gaiden being finished like Ninja Gaiden, but I don't have it in me. It's a disappointing state of affairs, and hopefully the mess gets sorted out sooner rather than later.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby miguelnuva » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 am

I was one of the kickstarter supporters so I'll be pissed if I don't get my copy of the film. I'll be looking into how to complain on kickstarter while I follow the updates on this.
miguelnuva
Baby Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:39 am

^ Good luck with that... i tried back in December when we had been 7-8 months without an update and all deadlines had been missed by 1-2 months...

It's the project creator's responsibility to complete their project. Kickstarter is not involved in the development of the projects themselves.
Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. On Kickstarter, backers ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

At least now there has been an update on the account, and maybe all this drama will result in a hastily slapped together film...
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Godzilla21 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:59 am

Whatever happened with his project?
Godzilla21
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Baltan II » Sun May 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Nothing, judging by the updates page of the Kickstarter. Such a shame that a lot of talent surrounded this project for it to go nowhere. On the bright side, it looks like all the rewards outside of the nonexistent movie were mailed out?
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 pm

^ nope. They mailed out some posters to some people but none of the other rewards. I was supposed to get a wolfman chibi figure, which the artist delivered to the kickstarter but wasn't paid for. I still have received nothing despite my regrettably larger donation...

At one point it seemed their were two separate projects being worked out of the ashes of the kickstarter, but i havent heard or seen anything on either since last July.

There was a lot of mudslinging on the facebook if you want to see some of the trainwreck. Based on what I've heard and talking to some of the people involved with the project, i tend to trust mark jaramillo's version of events.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Mon May 29, 2017 7:57 pm

Maybe, Legendary or some other movie company could do a movie based on the plots of these unfilmed movies. :idea:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Wed May 31, 2017 8:02 pm

The only unfilmed movies here are the documentary and whatever attempts were made in light of the Kickstarter's failure, not the actual creature features themselves. Although, if you took the right twist to it, could turn out to be an interesting start for the premise of a horror movie on its own!

klen7 wrote:^ nope. They mailed out some posters to some people but none of the other rewards. I was supposed to get a wolfman chibi figure, which the artist delivered to the kickstarter but wasn't paid for. I still have received nothing despite my regrettably larger donation...

Crap. Sorry to hear that, man. Those little figures are awesome and I was actually a bit jealous that I couldn't come close to affording one of those little Wolfman chibis. Well... guess that was for the best!
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 pm

mbozzo wrote:Maybe, Legendary or some other movie company could do a movie based on the plots of these unfilmed movies. :idea:

What makes this so sad is that the movies WERE filmed. The documentary was going to showcase all of these rare and little-known fan-made/independent/amateur movies, but now it seems pretty certain that the documentary will never see the light of day and these films will continue to be ultra-obscure. :(
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!