[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Favorite/Least Favorite Pieces of Music • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Favorite/Least Favorite Pieces of Music

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Favorite/Least Favorite Pieces of Music

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 am

(Note: I was gonna post this in the Godzilla Movies board, but decided we may as well broaden our horizons.)

So... fairly self-explanatory from the thread title. Let us gush over some of our favourite individual tracks from kaiju film scores, and cuss some of our least favourites. Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others. I'll get the ball rolling with a few less obvious choices, perhaps.

Faves
"Prayer for Peace" (Gojira) - For me, this track encapsulates everything that makes the original Godzilla such a masterpiece. It's undeniably sad, and even a little eerie-sounding because of the recording quality and the key it's played in. Most of all, it's a song that feels important even when removed from the context of the film: in the wake of any tragedy or disaster, one hopes for peace and light to return. Obviously, there have been many great songs and vocal arrangements throughout the Godzilla series, but this is the one that I come back to most.

Least Faves
"Super X2" (Godzilla vs. Biollante) - While I've warmed up to GvBio's score overall, it's still hard for me to get past the comparative goofiness of this track. It doesn't have the grandeur of the original Super-X's theme or the urgency of the Super-X3's. Mostly, it's an over-the-top riff on the Superman theme, applied to a mediocre flying tank. I don't care for it much.

"Daimajin's Ferocity" (Daimajin) - OK, I'm exaggerating. In truth, this is nowhere among my least favourite tracks, but I'm a little annoyed by that recurring motif which sounds like "Hot Cross Buns." I mean, I guess Ifukube pulls it off well enough, but I still get the feeling that Daimajin should be the spirit of vengeful baked goods.

I'll come back with more when I'm less tired, but I hope this is sufficient to get some discussion going.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!