Giant Monster films since 2001

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Destroysall » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Tyler E. Martin wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:I never saw the mist.
I feel like I should.

I'd say you should. It's wonderful, in my opinion.

It is, OH MY GODZILLA! The ending is perhaps the most OH GODZILLA WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE ending ever, but it still is amazing!
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Ironically it was on Showtime tonight. :lol:
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Enshohma » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:33 am

Destroysall wrote:
Tyler E. Martin wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:I never saw the mist.
I feel like I should.

I'd say you should. It's wonderful, in my opinion.

It is, OH MY GODZILLA! The ending is perhaps the most OH GODZILLA WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE ending ever, but it still is amazing!

zekend01 wrote:Ironically it was on Showtime tonight. :lol:

I just watched the movie on Showtime, and I was pleasantly surprised; I've often criticized Stephen King for being a more successful, but far less ambitious H.P. Lovecraft wannabe, but this story really feels like it could fit decently with other tales of the Great Old Ones.

What I really liked about The Mist however is that it wasn't the film that others have described to me as; yes, it's about the horrors (and greater stupidity) of the human condition, but thankfully it doesn't skip on the fantasy / creature elements either!

I had a similar situation to The Host, where everyone told me it was a horror movie where humans are the real monsters, and the actual monster is totally meaningless. But that film turned out to be a wonderfully vicious bit of social satire, with an awesome, monstrous foe awaiting our heroes' at journey's end.

Of course The Mist is not as good as the previously mentioned film, but it does a splendid job at balancing the two story extremes. It's also the first time that unseen monsters in a major Hollywood film DIDN'T feel like a budgetary / director cop-out. We see quite a bit of the monsters in their full glory, but even when only shadows or tentacles are seen, the results are still satisfying, while also allowing the imagination to run wild.

I should correct myself on one of the film's beasts; the Impossibly Tall Creature (the closest thing to a real name for this character, from the original book) is less a 'quadruped Cthuhlu', then it is Cloverfield's more majestic, oldest uncle...for lack of a better comparison.

SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD

Now I must touch upon the ending; yes, it's incredibly messed up.

Even if you've been jaded by the dark twist endings to every horror movie ever made since the mid-1970s (like myself), The Mist still manages to sink your enthusiasm to downright disgust and true sorrow. Now wither it works is a matter of each individual's opinion. But for me, when compared to the endings of most of Lovecraft's works...it's strangely upbeat.

YES, I KNOW...something horrible and unforgivably tragic does happen, but the rest of humanity is still very safe. Typical for most Apocalyptic films. Now in one of Lovecraft's own works however, mankind may seem safe, but our destiny will always be linked with inevitable destruction...or a place amongst the cosmic darkness...for better or for worst.

But yeah...sucks to be Mister Drayton at film's end.

And while on the subject of 'sucks to be you'; has actor Andre Braugher EVER played a character who doesn't come to some grisly demised? Does he know he's being typecast as the cliche 'black guy who dies early on'? Crap, is HE the lone reason we even have that movie cliche to begin with? And knowing full well of his unique situation, Andre is riding that gravy train for life?!?

END SPOILERS

But yeah, give The Mist a try...and thanks to whoever started this thread; I don't get to geek out on giant monsters beyond Godzilla very often. And with that said, I'm still open to questions with the lesser known films I've made mentioned in the bigger list on page one.

LET ME GEEK OUT SOME MORE!

Guess All of the Above Monsters' Names and Respective Places of Origin and Win a Prize!
Enshohma
Godzilla Jr.

Postby zekend01 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:00 pm

That ending was just MEAN. Great movie though. Just f'in great. I may have preferred that the "fanatic" came to her own "conclusion", so to speak, in much the same way of those in the drugstore and/or parking lot. Seems fitting to me, but the original conclusion with her made me happy all over... yeah, I might be sick. :rockon:
Last edited by zekend01 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:26 pm

I agree with you there Enshohma, both are amazing films!
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby Hawanja » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:19 pm

I enjoyed the Mist myself, great social commentary, and a very good ending - although not very realistic (would you yourself shoot your own son, even in that situation? I suppose some people would but not me.) I would have liked to have gotten a better look at some of the creatures.

For recent giant monster movies, here's a few:

Incident at Loch Ness
Primevil (about the Giant crocodile of Burundi, Gustave. Good movie)
War Eagles (Japanese scientists clone petrodons in WWII, was going to pick this up yesterday, maybe next week.)
Transmorphers I & II
Megasnake
Anaconda 3 & 4

Also wasn't there supposed to be a movie called "Hogzilla," about the kid who shot the giant pig, before they found out the whole thing was a farce? Did that get cancelled or what? I know there's a trailer for it on youtube.

We should really expand this thread, to include all giant monster movies of all time. That would be some work.
Deleted
Hawanja
Godzilla Jr.

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:25 pm

Did anyone here ever see Rogue? Supposed to be a pretty decent giant croc movie...I always thought about renting it but I've been burned with too many bad SyFy channel movies to trust horror movie sites reviews nowadays...the horror genre is so sparse these days of quality that people jump all over movies that really aren't all that unique
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:02 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:Did anyone here ever see Rogue? Supposed to be a pretty decent giant croc movie...I always thought about renting it but I've been burned with too many bad SyFy channel movies to trust horror movie sites reviews nowadays...the horror genre is so sparse these days of quality that people jump all over movies that really aren't all that unique

I watched about half of it and ended up turning it off. It wasn't awful or anything, I just felt like I saw that movie a million times before.

And (this kinda goes with what we were saying in the Thirst topic), I agree with horror site reviews. They seem way too content with mediocrity and will give something like Hatchet a 5 star rating.
MouthForWar
Controller

Previous

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!