Death Kappa (2010)

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Cookie » Wed May 05, 2010 10:41 am

I like that a lot! Hopefully that'll be the cover art for the DVD/blu ray.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Wed May 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Nice poster. I'm getting more and more interested. I'm still not a fan of the spoof thing being done and done again, but it looks pretty cool regardless. When issue 295 comes out, I'll definitely snatch it up!
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby INVINCIBLE HASTUR » Wed May 05, 2010 1:47 pm

:) Looks awesome!!
INVINCIBLE HASTUR
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Norman England » Wed May 05, 2010 9:35 pm

AVERY GUERRA wrote:The official poster and more details about Norman England's big set report appearing in issue #295!!!!:

http://fangoria.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=167

Oh... I guess this means I should finish writing it... :idea:
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Thu May 06, 2010 1:10 am

Norman England wrote:
AVERY GUERRA wrote:The official poster and more details about Norman England's big set report appearing in issue #295!!!!:

Oh... I guess this means I should finish writing it... :idea:

Haha, yeah probably. Your loyal readers are waiting! :wink:
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby godziwolf » Fri May 07, 2010 12:04 am

I got to admit, the association with the producer of Machine Girl hurt in my eyes.

Machine Girl
was awful.
|\-/|
<0 0>
=(o)=
-Wolf
godziwolf
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Flame of Udin » Sun May 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Those who like the poster will be pleased to hear it is going going to be the DVD art as well.

Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:12 pm

Flame of Udin wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Flame of Udin wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:this MIGHT be my first kaiju blu-ray!

And it might not be your last. I have been noticing more and more Tokyo Shock Blu-ray announcements. Who knows :wink:
I doubt it'd be my last, but for me...a movie has to be WORTH a blu-ray purchase for me to consider the blu-ray

like, I recently saw for the first time ever, The Deer Hunter on cinemax I think (some pay channel, in any event)...I'd consider buying the movie, but DVD would be totally fine for that particular film for me...

Agreed. I reserve my BD purchases for effects films, come to think of it I don't own a single BD that isn't an effects film.

But when it comes to a film involving a giant monster then BD is an absolute MUST. While I have been slacking checking out my Daimajin, The Host, and Cloverfield BDs, the Gamera were made to be seen in HD it seems, its an entirely new and exciting experience.
eh, I can honestly say that if they release a bunch of Godzilla BRDs in the wake of the film in 2012, I will largely be passing...I already own them and wouldn't be willing to shell out $20 a piece for slightly better quality...plain and simple, to my eyes, the difference between DVD and BRD is noticeable, but nowhere NEAR as colossal as VHS to DVD
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Flame of Udin » Mon May 10, 2010 1:58 am

Well I guess thats where our opinions differ. If a film looks as though it's scope is worth the upgrade then I don't mind shelling out the cash for the BD. Plus I would like to support in hopes of future releases of these kind of films.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:36 am

The disc's specs can be found here:

AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:39 am

So I'm guessing that's Death Kappa blu ray will have a box over the case. Unless the top of the blu ray will be that color instead of blue.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby swfreakjpb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 pm

planetxleader wrote:Nice poster. I'm getting more and more interested. I'm still not a fan of the spoof thing being done and done again, but it looks pretty cool regardless. When issue 295 comes out, I'll definitely snatch it up!

Yeah I do not care much for the more comedic Kaiju projects coming out of Japan in recent years, but this does not have that vibe at all, I do not think. From what I have seen so far, it captures the same sort of look and feel without going too far and turning into a big joke. From how the Director and creator was describing his intentions in the video I saw on youtube, , it does not seem like this will be any kind of "spoof" but more of a throw back like Negadon was.
Joined in 1997

"Godzilla doesn't give a crap about France" (Tom Green)

Where's a Giant Monster when you need one?
swfreakjpb
Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:35 pm

Death Kappa = Modern day Showa film

:eek:

The fact that we get it first before the native country is really flipping cool! An in AWESOME HIGH DEFINITION
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:39 am

I have, despite my dislike of the Death Kappa's design, been really excited for this. It really does, as Cookson said, look like a Showa era film. Can't wait for this.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby swfreakjpb » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Yeah I am not too thrilled with using a Kappa as a base for the monster design unless he has some cool magical powers for weapons or someting, its more like a TV show monster ( power rangers or Ultraman) then a movie monster, but I think its growing on me slowly. Everything else looks fantastic so far.
Joined in 1997

"Godzilla doesn't give a crap about France" (Tom Green)

Where's a Giant Monster when you need one?
swfreakjpb
Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:33 pm

Cool!! 2 new trailers for the New York Asian Film Festival have been released featuring cool footage from "Death Kappa" and "Chaw" which will both be screening there!!:

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/06/the- ... uptown.php
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:35 pm

Chaw is yet another movie i'd like to see released...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:20 am

I just looked at the Amazon listing for the DVD of this movie, which lists it as "Ws Dub" next to the title yet has only "Japanese" listed as a language. Can anybody confirm if this DVD will have the film in Japanese with English subtitles? I would like to make this a blind buy in September when I buy Shout!'s Gamera DVDs in bulk, but I don't want to buy a movie I've never seen before if it's dub-only.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:15 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:I just looked at the Amazon listing for the DVD of this movie, which lists it as "Ws Dub" next to the title yet has only "Japanese" listed as a language. Can anybody confirm if this DVD will have the film in Japanese with English subtitles? I would like to make this a blind buy in September when I buy Shout!'s Gamera DVDs in bulk, but I don't want to buy a movie I've never seen before if it's dub-only.

DEATH KAPPA, a throwback to old-style kaiju films by writer/director Tomoo Haraguchi, will be presented in anamorphic 1.78:1 widescreen with Japanese and English 5.1 and 2.0 soundtracks.

That's from the Fangoria DVD Spec link posted a while back. I'm pretty sure it'll have the subbed option on the Japanese audio.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:I just looked at the Amazon listing for the DVD of this movie, which lists it as "Ws Dub" next to the title yet has only "Japanese" listed as a language. Can anybody confirm if this DVD will have the film in Japanese with English subtitles? I would like to make this a blind buy in September when I buy Shout!'s Gamera DVDs in bulk, but I don't want to buy a movie I've never seen before if it's dub-only.

It has been said several times already that the film will have both a English-Subtitled Japanese track and an English Dub track.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Norman England » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:29 pm

I was sent this link last night announcing the first screening of Death Kappa.

http://www.ifccenter.com/films/death-kappa/
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby kpa » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:23 pm

Norman England wrote:I was sent this link last night announcing the first screening of Death Kappa.

http://www.ifccenter.com/films/death-kappa/

... and on that note...

The New York Asian Film Festival is giving SciFi Japan readers a chance to win free tickets to the world premiere of the DEATH KAPPA, Japan’s latest giant monster movie. Complete details are now on SFJ:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2010 ... -festival/
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Elliot Gay » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:14 pm

So depressing to know I won't be back in town to catch this. Hahaha, oh well. I'll just have to make do.
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Flame of Udin wrote:First review is up at Twitch.

http://twitchfilm.net/reviews/2010/06/n ... review.php
ruh-roh...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!