Death Kappa (2010)

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Flame of Udin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Cookson wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:Final Wars isn't a good movie by any stretch, but there's NO WAY in hell its worse than Death Kappa.

GFW is a million times better....

And actually, GFW is a fun movie for me.

I would have liked GFW if it had been about, ya know, Godzilla; instead of having him our pretty-boy stars pet dog throughout the whole movie. But we are straying off topic.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:00 am

Final Wars pwns the CRAP out of this film. from here to tibmuktu.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Norman England » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:48 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Final Wars pwns the CRAP out of this film. from here to tibmuktu.

Considering that Final Wars cost between 10 and 20 million to make and Death Kappa cost under 200,000, let's hope so!
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Norman England wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:Final Wars pwns the CRAP out of this film. from here to tibmuktu.

Considering that Final Wars cost between 10 and 20 million to make and Death Kappa cost under 200,000, let's hope so!
that's a flawed argument though...

just because a movie COSTS more to make doesn't mean it should automatically be better.

Quality is independent of budget as long as the filmmaker knows what he or she is doing and the creators of Death Kappa quite clearly do not.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby RaymondBurr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:39 pm

After seeing the preview for this on the MB Destroy All Monsters DVD, I decided to pick it up. The battle between Kappa and the other creature looked pretty good (in the preview, anyway!). Hopefully, I'll get a chance to watch it this week and post some thoughts. I think knowing that it is a parody will help. But also my requirements for enjoying a kaijun film are not that high, and I tend not to hold Showa era films as the standards of life and death in the universe.

Ok! I'll post some comments once I get some quality time in with... DEATH KAPPA! :D
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Death Kappa and Monster X Strikes Back are two of my least favorite kaiju films of all time
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 pm

This movie sucks harder than Jenna Jameson.
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:08 am

and it's lamer than FDR
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Real McCoy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:51 am

I found a DVD copy of this on Amazon for $1.49, so I might still pick it up. With stuff like this, where it gets generally nothing but bad reviews, I think it's pretty worth it to buy it for under five bucks.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:33 am

The Real McCoy wrote:I found a DVD copy of this on Amazon for $1.49, so I might still pick it up. With stuff like this, where it gets generally nothing but bad reviews, I think it's pretty worth it to buy it for under five bucks.

That's the spirit! :)
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby The Real McCoy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:43 am

RaymondBurr wrote:
The Real McCoy wrote:I found a DVD copy of this on Amazon for $1.49, so I might still pick it up. With stuff like this, where it gets generally nothing but bad reviews, I think it's pretty worth it to buy it for under five bucks.

That's the spirit! :)

Thanks. I'm just a nerd. I buy junk like this all the time (when I have the money, of course); I guess you could say I "collect" movies. My shelf is full of lots of good stuff, but there's some bad stuff on it too; I just like to look at my shelf and see it full, and if I can spend five bucks or less on it it's not really a big loss.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:02 am

I know this will destroy whatever little G-fan cred I may have.... but... I liked it. It's not fantastic, but it's.... it's like a crappy Labyrinth rip off meets Power Rangers parody. I can understand how expecting something less goofy than this, and more "homage", could really leave people disappointed. But going into this, knowing it was a spoof, well, I liked it.

The Epic-Fail J-Pop star--and her song--were funny (did you see those lyrics?!); the Neo-Fascist Japanese Gillman army was a brilliant bizarro-world take on the usual Power Rangers villians; and the battle between the giant Kappa and the mutated Gillman creature was a fine battle in the tradition of Saban! The puppet-fight veers the battle into slapstick territory, but it struck me as amusing, vaguely reminiscent of Bruce Campbell's Three Stooges routine with the graveyard skeletons in Army of Darkness. And the helicopter flying in the giant-size cucumber to help Kappa power up again: comic gold.

I would have killed for a copy of this when I was in college: cucumber eating Japanese Goblin befriends failed J-Pop star as they battle the sinister plot of the Neo-Imperial Japanese Army and their fighting force of Gillmen!

The Kappa monster design was ok, but not what I personally look for in my giant monsters. His opponent though struck me as very cool, like something you could see in an Ultraman series.

This isn't the same kind of film as any of the Godzilla or Gamera movies. Take this film as traditional Japanese monster cinema, and it fails. But taken as a comedy, and it works (for me anyway... mileage may vary! :lol:). If you are a fan of goofy Japanese movies, and you like giant monsters, then there is plenty to like. It's just goofy as hell. Enjoy it!
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby ryuuseipro » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:00 am

RaymondBurr wrote:The Epic-Fail J-Pop star--and her song--were funny (did you see those lyrics?!); the Neo-Fascist Japanese Gillman army was a brilliant bizarro-world take on the usual Power Rangers villians; and the battle between the giant Kappa and the mutated Gillman creature was a fine battle in the tradition of Saban!

You mean Toei. Power Rangers was the Americanized form of Toei's Super Sentai Series (which has been going since 1975). In a nutshell, you really have Masked Rider (or Kamen Rider in Japanese), Japan's other famous superhero besides Ultraman, to thank for it all (starting the "henshin"/"transforming" superhero craze).
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:58 am

ryuuseipro wrote:
RaymondBurr wrote:The Epic-Fail J-Pop star--and her song--were funny (did you see those lyrics?!); the Neo-Fascist Japanese Gillman army was a brilliant bizarro-world take on the usual Power Rangers villians; and the battle between the giant Kappa and the mutated Gillman creature was a fine battle in the tradition of Saban!

You mean Toei. Power Rangers was the Americanized form of Toei's Super Sentai Series (which has been going since 1975). In a nutshell, you really have Masked Rider (or Kamen Rider in Japanese), Japan's other famous superhero besides Ultraman, to thank for it all (starting the "henshin"/"transforming" superhero craze).

I was going for the crappiest, lowest common denominator possible for comparison. That's Saban, right? :lol:
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby ryuuseipro » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:45 am

RaymondBurr wrote:
ryuuseipro wrote:

I was going for the crappiest, lowest common denominator possible for comparison. That's Saban, right? :lol:

Well, if you say so...
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 am

The point I'm so desperately trying to make is: if you enjoy Power Ranger's level drama, and monsters like the giant pig face thing from season 1, then Death Kappa has plenty to offer. There is nothing in Death Kappa that is any more ridiculous than anything we ever got served to us in Power Rangers.

Everyone seems to be hating on Death Kappa like it's the worst thing to ever happen in the history of Japanese monsters. I can understand the initial disappointment, especially if people were expecting a different kind of movie; but, there are plenty of examples of similar antics in other Japanese sci-fi film and tv that people here do like.
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:50 am

RaymondBurr wrote:The point I'm so desperately trying to make is: if you enjoy Power Ranger's level drama, and monsters like the giant pig face thing from season 1, then Death Kappa has plenty to offer. There is nothing in Death Kappa that is any more ridiculous than anything we ever got served to us in Power Rangers.

You just sold me on this movie.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:52 am

:lol: You're a good man, MG3k!
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 pm

RaymondBurr wrote:The point I'm so desperately trying to make is: if you enjoy Power Ranger's level drama, and monsters like the giant pig face thing from season 1, then Death Kappa has plenty to offer. There is nothing in Death Kappa that is any more ridiculous than anything we ever got served to us in Power Rangers.

I really don't think they're comparable. Power Rangers is goofy, childlike fun that only lasts 30 minutes and Death Kappa is a full length (and boring) comedy without a single funny joke in it.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 pm

"Death Kappa is a full length (and boring) comedy without a single funny joke in it."-Kyle, that should have been the pull quote for the cover art lol
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:49 pm

MouthForWar wrote:

I really don't think they're comparable. Power Rangers is goofy, childlike fun that only lasts 30 minutes and Death Kappa is a full length (and boring) comedy without a single funny joke in it.

You are right, Death Kappa doesn't set up "jokes", but there is humor that is funny--at least to me: the close up shots of the random guy with bucked-teeth hanging out at the military headquarters, the airlift of the giant cucumber, and the J-pop parody was pretty spot on, imho. The lyrics were great.

I will take those over Bulk and Skull any day! :lol:

My point though is that if we can enjoy Power Rangers despite the worst Saban could do to it, then there is still plenty we can enjoy about Death Kappa (though, in truth, I enjoy Power Rangers in both it's original and "hybrid" versions). Most of us didn't/don't watch Power Rangers for its award winning comedy. I figure most of us aren't watching Death Kappa for the laughs either. The monster stuff is competently done, and entertaining.
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:50 pm

This movie sucked so hard I thought my TV would collapse in on itself from the vacuum of suck it created.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:This movie sucked so hard I thought my TV would collapse in on itself from the vacuum of suck it created.

Good hyperbole.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:06 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:This movie sucked so hard I thought my TV would collapse in on itself from the vacuum of suck it created.

Good hyperbole.

No...f'n excellent hyperbole!!! Its so good I want to marry it, buy it a yaht, and then take that yaht to an island I've named after it :lol:
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:18 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:

Good hyperbole.

Hyperbole? Naw, it sounds about right.
MouthForWar
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!