Death Kappa (2010)

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Gothic_Blue wrote:
AVERY GUERRA wrote:
VinceA wrote:Media Blasters delayed its release to 9/21.

I just received this about my order from Amazon:

"Misato Hirata, Tomoo Haraguchi "Death Kappa (Ws Dub)"
Estimated arrival date: October 15 2010 - October 19 2010

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay."

Even later date there... :cry:

A friend of mine ordered this for my b-day. What's up with the delays?

It's MediaBlaster.....They're pretty notorious for delays. Hopefully Cinema Epoch which has "Demeking: The Sea Monster" and "Jaws In Japan" and WellGo USA which has "Assault Girls" will deliver on their October release dates without delay.
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Just received a notice from Amazon to tell me the dvd has finally been shipped...
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:49 am

so...has anyone seen this? or did everyone just hear the fairly bad reviews and abort their preorders???
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Flame of Udin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:22 am

jellydonut25 wrote:so...has anyone seen this? or did everyone just hear the fairly bad reviews and abort their preorders???

I'm sure you will be hearing people ranting soon enough...
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:24 am

Flame of Udin wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:so...has anyone seen this? or did everyone just hear the fairly bad reviews and abort their preorders???

I'm sure you will be hearing people ranting soon enough...
i almost kind of hope so...

I would be disappointed if everyone on here just forgot about this.

At the same time, people can go pretty overboard in their criticisms...and praises...we've been so inundated with movie after movie from The Asylum and your typical 'teen' movie that when stuff breaks out of the box, people either LOVE it or HATE it...

Eh, i'd rather have insane discussion than no discussion at all.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Cookie » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:13 am

I'm getting it with my check next week. So, I'll post my thoughts when i get it!
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:41 pm

After much delay, the film has finally been released on dvd. To celebrate we've gathered a collection of stills from the film and a cool new foreign dvd cover art at "Undead Brainspasm":

http://undeadbrainspasm.blogspot.com/20 ... mages.html

AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:04 pm

it LOOKS like sooo much fun....but im hesitant because i've heard it's pretty much as bad as Monster X Strikes Back and that might honestly have been my least favorite kaiju flick EVER...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Flame of Udin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:31 pm

False advertise much?

Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:26 pm

does the Death Kappa look like a crotchety old man to anybody else?
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Flame of Udin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:00 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:does the Death Kappa look like a crotchety old man to anybody else?

Kappa's in general sometimes do. Depends on which artist's rendering you are looking at. His look is pretty faithful if you ask me.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Flame of Udin wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:does the Death Kappa look like a crotchety old man to anybody else?

Kappa's in general sometimes do. Depends on which artist's rendering you are looking at. His look is pretty faithful if you ask me.
i did not know that...still, don't you think they could have bad-assed it a bit???
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:59 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Flame of Udin wrote:

i did not know that...still, don't you think they could have bad-assed it a bit???

Agreed...Big Man Japan looked a cooler than this pot bellied, rat/pig/turtle goblin...That being said I still ordered this movie because I have no self control
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:26 am

king_ghidorah wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Flame of Udin wrote:

Agreed...Big Man Japan looked a cooler than this pot bellied, rat/pig/turtle goblin...That being said I still ordered this movie because I have no self control
i wish i lacked the self control necessary to hold off and save my money... :lol:
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:18 pm

This sounds like the worst thing ever.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/death-kappa-2010

This has gone from something I was looking forward to to something I was cautiously optimistic about, to a morbid curiosity to something I just don't even care to see any more. I really don't think I'm going to bother with this. Media Blasters were even going to send me a copy to review for SciFi Japan, but I don't think I'm going to follow them up on that. This just sounds like a giant test of patience to me and I don't have the stomach (or time) for stuff like this. There's much better movies out there that I still need to see.

I remember seeing that very first behind the scenes clip of Haraguchi talking about how this is his love filled "tribute to the great classic giant monsters like Godzilla and King Kong" and the best he could come up with is a Japanese equivalent to Meet The Spartans?

Lets hope Demeking and Psycho Shark manage to give us some good Japanese monster mayhem.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Damn...and my copy just shipped from Amazon today...

I'm really holding out for Demeking...something about the design of that kaiju makes me a fan of that movie without ever having seen it
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:43 pm

I thought MONSTER X STRIKES BACK was ok... at least it had a few good scenese in it. DEATH KAPPA has GOT to be better than that.. I mean, it just has too. I do think howerver that Kaiju Parody movies have run its course(GEHARA being the best.. by a long shot). I'll still order Death Kappa, because the trailer had some scenese I'd like to see a little more of.

DEMEKING and Psycho Shark are probably better than DEATH KAPPA... es;pecially DEMEKING.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:05 pm

Cookson wrote:I thought MONSTER X STRIKES BACK was ok... at least it had a few good scenese in it.
care to describe them??? because the movie was some of the most boring, poorly executed crap i'd ever seen...

and this actually (unbelievably?) sounds WORSE.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Flame of Udin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:41 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Cookson wrote:I thought MONSTER X STRIKES BACK was ok... at least it had a few good scenese in it.
care to describe them??? because the movie was some of the most boring, poorly executed crap i'd ever seen...

Different strokes for different folks. Not everybody hates the movie, although I'm sure a great deal do.

As for Death Kappa, I'm sure it sucks, but I'll be buying it anyway for completest sake.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:22 am

Flame of Udin wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. Not everybody hates the movie, although I'm sure a great deal do.

As for Death Kappa, I'm sure it sucks, but I'll be buying it anyway for completest sake.
come on, man. you can't POSSIBLY be defending Monster X Strikes Back, can you???

i'll admit that the first 10 minutes or so (maybe even first 20 minutes) filled me with a LOT of hope and the score was decent enough but...it didn't at all live up to its potential...

like the review of Death Kappa says, there's a LOT of jokes that get SET-UP in Monster X Strikes Back, but NONE of them have punclines or any relevance to the plot.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Flame of Udin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:12 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Flame of Udin wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

come on, man. you can't POSSIBLY be defending Monster X Strikes Back, can you???

i'll admit that the first 10 minutes or so (maybe even first 20 minutes) filled me with a LOT of hope and the score was decent enough but...it didn't at all live up to its potential...

like the review of Death Kappa says, there's a LOT of jokes that get SET-UP in Monster X Strikes Back, but NONE of them have punclines or any relevance to the plot.

By no means. I am not only not a fan of that said film, but Minoru Kawasaki's films in general. I was only saying there is a (small) fraction of the fan community that like it. Mainly little kids who don't understand the terrible humor.

I'll judge Death Kappa after I see it myself. Dread Central's reviews have disappointed me in the past (they still are a great review site) so I'm not going to take their words as gospel. As a matter of fact, I think I order the movie right now.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:49 pm

MONSTER X STRIKES BACK was terrible... don't get me wrong. 99% of the jokes were bad. There were some good Guilala scenes though..that's what I was talking about. The final battle actually had some good moments too.

Trust me..it's nowhere near the top of my favorite Kaiju films....
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Cookson wrote:There were some good Guilala scenes though..

The only problem is that most of the good Guilala scenes was stock footage from the first film.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:36 pm

Cookson wrote:MONSTER X STRIKES BACK was terrible... don't get me wrong. 99% of the jokes were bad. There were some good Guilala scenes though..that's what I was talking about. The final battle actually had some good moments too.

Trust me..it's nowhere near the top of my favorite Kaiju films....
half the Guilala scenes were stock footage and the other half were in the same valley over and over and over...i mean, come on, they couldn't change setpieces???
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:21 am

I know I know... I'm not saying it was 100% perfect... not even 5% perfect. lol

Just saying there were some things I enjoyed... but probably only 5% was enjoyable. LOL
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!