Death Kappa (2010)

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Death Kappa (2010)

Postby Flame of Udin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:48 am

Tomoo Haraguchi has just released information that his next film Death Kappa will be full on kaiju action! Yes, D.K. will be giant and he will be fighting another kaiju in the streets of Tokyo! Head on over to Twitch for all of the info including a promo video showcasing the various miniatures as well as Death Kappa himself (along with concept art for his Titanosaurus-like foe). Haraguchi also mentions that this will not be a CG takeover, but rather traditional effects including suitimation.

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/22508/
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Elliot Gay » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:33 am

Very cool. I like the stuff Fever Dreams puts out, so this should be a fun ride.

I'm game for original IPs. Even if it's not some masterpiece, it's bound to be entertaining. Haraguchi has got my vote. :)
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:57 am

I liked the promo very much with the exception of the bit where they took a dig at Gamera...poor Gamera never gets the recognition he deserves....

Hope this film is good tho, haven't seen any of this guy's other work yet
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:08 pm

Very interesting. Haraguchi is pretty uneven in his output. His effects work is topnotch but some of his productions can be the pits.

Sakuya Yokaiden was really good whereas in the same genre (Yokai adventure) Kibakichi 1 was iffy and Kibakichi 2 was atrocious.

I'm curious to see if he'll play it for laughs as is the trend or make a serious kaiju flick. I love the idea of no CGI.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby INVINCIBLE HASTUR » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:12 pm

Looks kinda cool, of course but I agree. No more parody.

If it's another one of those then count me out.
INVINCIBLE HASTUR
Godzilla Jr.

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:44 pm

Good pt. I am sick of this genre being strictly parody these days....I do hope this is a serious kaiju film as well
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 pm

This is gonna rock! Hell, news of this new film and "King Kong"s return to the big screen all in the same day? Awesome time to be a giant monster fan!!
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:05 pm

I highly doubt this will be another parody film, Haraguchi is a big fan of Godzilla and Gamera (of course) I don't think he would do this just for laughs.

Also some good news for us US fans is that Fever Dreams and Media Blasters usually produce their films together making it for both Japanese and American audiences. In other words, when this reaches DVD chances are we will be getting it the same time the Japanese do. The same thing happened for both Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Meh. Cool concept, but Haraguchi has proven time and time again to be an awful director.

Now of course this movie could be him finally doing something great, it could be a huge success and we could have a new monster franchise to take the reigns since (as the clip says), Kong is dead, Godzilla is retired and Gamera is uh... out of commission. Of course, the likelihood of that happening is slim.

That said, I like Haraguchi's attitude in the clip. He seems confident. I think the new monster is kinda goofy looking, but it may be better on film. I wish it looked more like his Kappas from his own movie Sakuya.

But I'm still looking forward to it, despite all that.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Flame of Udin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Meh. Cool concept, but Haraguchi has proven time and time again to be an awful director.

I don't know, while Kibakichi 1 and 2 were pretty, well....not good, Sakuya was a great film with some great special effects.

And I agree with the Kappa's, although they looked alittle too human-like to be giant monsters. D.K. looks alittle more turtle like then he does human, which works, I'm more interested in the villain personally.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:09 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Meh. Cool concept, but Haraguchi has proven time and time again to be an awful director.

Now of course this movie could be him finally doing something great, it could be a huge success and we could have a new monster franchise to take the reigns since (as the clip says), Kong is dead, Godzilla is retired and Gamera is uh... out of commission. Of course, the likelihood of that happening is slim.

That said, I like Haraguchi's attitude in the clip. He seems confident. I think the new monster is kinda goofy looking, but it may be better on film. I wish it looked more like his Kappas from his own movie Sakuya.

But I'm still looking forward to it, despite all that.

..."Kong" is back....check the : "Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television" section for that news. Either way; I'm very much looking forward to this one!
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:08 pm

AVERY GUERRA wrote:

..."Kong" is back....check the : "Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television" section for that news. Either way; I'm very much looking forward to this one!

Haha, sometimes you remind me of a kid who just stumbled into Willy Wonka's factory Avery, talk about glee! And that makes two of us!

Anyway, I've got to hand it to them for the opening remarks. Since no one wants to step up to the bat, might as well let the independents get another shot. These guys are really telling the bigwigs at Toho and co. that there is a market for kaiju still, so much that the fans are starting their own production companies and making their own now!

If only Toho had ears to listen, right not all they hear is Hayao Miyazaki...followed closely by a "cha-ching".
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:34 am

^ There's some tasty treats in Wonka's factory! :D

"Undead Backbrain"s article on the film including more details on the "Kappa" and yokai as well as the two versions of the teaser poster:

http://roberthood.net/blog/index.php/20 ... contender/

As an added bonus an article on a fun little animated film featuring a much smaller, and more adorable version of the "Kappa":

http://roberthood.net/blog/index.php/20 ... ute-kappa/
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jim Ballard » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:27 am

Haraguchi's ULTRAMAN MEBIUS episode was probably one of the best in the entire series, IMHO.
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:53 am

Consider me stoked! Love the designs, and I really like how he wants to make a more traditional monster movie. Even with a "traditional" monster!
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Jim Ballard wrote:Haraguchi's ULTRAMAN MEBIUS episode was probably one of the best in the entire series, IMHO.

Holy Crap, I had no idea he directed that one! D:

*so good*
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jim Ballard » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:51 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
Jim Ballard wrote:Haraguchi's ULTRAMAN MEBIUS episode was probably one of the best in the entire series, IMHO.

Holy Crap, I had no idea he directed that one! D:

*so good*

Yeah, Haraguchi was both director and FX director for episode 16 (with Zamusha):
http://www.hicbc.com/tv/mebius/story/016.htm

The episode was popular enough that Zamusha returned for the show's penultimate episode, and will be re-appearing in a new Mecha form soon.
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:38 am

Looking forward to this!
I like Haraguchi's respect for old school monster movies.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Danno » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:31 pm

Ya know what, I'm all for this as long as it doesn't look like some of the parodies lately. I'm finding I prefer older sets from War of the Gargantuas over movies like Tokyo S.o.S. I mean, is it really that hard to make a giant model city crumble?
Danno
Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 pm

Was that always the poster that was there at the original link...I thought it was the drawn one before...anyways...there seems to be a new poster for the movie now at the original link unless I'm mistaken
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:38 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:Was that always the poster that was there at the original link...I thought it was the drawn one before...anyways...there seems to be a new poster for the movie now at the original link unless I'm mistaken

They changed it. Both can be viewed in the article in the Robert Hood link a few posts back. :wink:
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Ok, cool, thanks. Is it just me...or is this the Death Kappa design somewhat creepy looking...for the titular hero/ main kaiju to be so darned disgusting looking is a somewhat novel approach...you could say that Godzilla or Gamera are somewhat "handsome" leading men figures but the Death Kappa reminds me of the kaiju equivalent of Steve Bushemi or a Paul Giamatti mixed with a turtle and a gremlin
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:39 pm

This looks cool. I want a Death Kappa action figure!!!
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:06 am

According to digitalmonsterisland.com, Media Blasters has this and plans to release it fairly soon.

Kappa Shock. While browsing around the Tokyo Shock section of Media Blasters' web site, I found a listing for Death Kappa. Death Kappa is a 2009 kaiju film directed by Tomoo Haraguchi, director of Sakuya and Kibakichi 1 & 2, and monster suit maker for the Heisei Gamera trilogy and Gamera the Brave. Not much is known about the film, except that Haraguchi has super-sized the popular yokai to city-smashing proportions, and it's done "old school" with suits and miniatures. No further info on MB's R1 DVD release is available; their site is kind of wonky in that their listing for it brings up a release date of November 17, but the cover art for Zebraman (which is getting a new 2-disc SE come November 10), while their listing for Blade of the Immortal brings up Death Kappa with a release date of April 1 (earliest April Fool's joke ever?). Catch it in their banner and the product page just says "Coming Soon!". In any case, their mentioning of it at all indicates that they have plans for it.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kpa » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:22 am

Media Blasters always had DEATH KAPPA because they're co-producing the movie for their Tokyo Shock label (like they did with TOKYO GORE POLICE). Media Blasters president John Sirabella hosted a preview of DEATH KAPPA at the New York Asian Film Festival back in June.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Next

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!