Kaiju Co-productions

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Kaiju Co-productions

Postby Zack Metoyer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:07 pm

I want the info from someone in the know, because I've heard a lot of conflicting stories about this sort of stuff. Specifically, what was Toho's involvement with Daigoro vs. Goliath? Not so much concerning the Godzilla-based preproduction ideas that were scrapped, but the film as it stands. Also, didn't a Japanese company (Toei?) help to produce the original Yongary, alongside the Koreans?
Zack Metoyer
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:20 pm

I THINK Toho distributed Daigoro vs Goliath and Toei helped fund Yongary.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby G2KMaster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:15 am

MouthForWar wrote:I THINK Toho distributed Daigoro vs Goliath and Toei helped fund Yongary.

You didn't think. You know, because you are correct! Sources: TK and SciFiJapan (respectivley).
G2KMaster

Postby kpa » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:37 am

Toho also co-produced DAIGORO VS GOLIATH. The film was made to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Tsuburaya Productions.

For YONGARY, the Korean studio Keukdong Entertainment Company partnered with Toei and also hired several Japanese FX artists. The Yongary suit was made by EX Production, a company co-founded by Toho monster maker Keizo Murase. EX Pro also made the original Gamera suit.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!