Frankenstein vs. the Giant Devilfish: Explained!

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Frankenstein vs. the Giant Devilfish: Explained!

Postby August » Mon May 04, 2009 5:38 pm

August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon May 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Interesting...as always..nice work!
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gabbara Davis, Jr. » Sat May 09, 2009 9:08 pm

That was a great article.
Gabbara Davis, Jr.
Little Godzilla

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:51 pm

Great read August!

Man, how I love this movie! So many memories as a child of seeing pictures in some genre magazine and then having to wait YEARS before finally getting a chance to see the film. What was funny though, was the magazine (Famous Monsters of Filmland?) had airbrushed lightening bolts from Baragon's mouth...so seeing the red heat ray in the actual film was unexpected. Plus pretty much every picture of Baragon was a mid air shot of him jumping, so in my child's mind I thought he was flying around with his huge ears like Dumbo, LOL! Ah...memories... :D

Hopefully someone else remembers that magazine as well...otherwise maybe I'm just crazy?
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

lightning

Postby Xenorama » Sat May 09, 2009 10:36 pm

those lightning bolts weren't airbrushed from FM- i think they came from Toho. Ghidrah also had curious flames coming from it's heads, even well past the first movie, in various stills.

i'd reckon they were done by Toho themselves.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby August » Sun May 10, 2009 5:08 pm

All of those photos were PR stills prepared by Toho. Thanks for the kudos, everyone!
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:44 am

Yes, I know they were from Toho's publicity department...I just worded my sentence a little strange! When I said "had"...I just meant the magazine featured pictures that were air brushed...not that THEY had done it themselves. :wink:

I've come to really love those kinds of "touched up" Toho pictures though. Misleading as they are, they have a certain mysterious quality to them. Plus the fond memories of a childhood Godzilla book I have stored away. The little orange backed, black and white photo'd book found in most elementary schools in the early 80's which had a whole series of other monster volumes?
I swear almost EVERY picture in that book had the monsters shooting something air brushed from SOMEWHERE, lol. Loved it!

Anyways...I'm sooo off topic!
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:04 pm

That was very interesting, nice blog. I actually seen the Devilfish ending and I don't think it adds much to the film but I like extended footage/ director's cut since they don't have certain footage in a regular version of a film.
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!