Daikaiju Gehara (2009)

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:15 pm

^Thanks but both parts have already been posted here. Still another head's up is always welcome. :wink:
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby August » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:40 am

This isn't a competition, Avery. I didn't see it, I found it, and I posted the information. Sorry that I didn't beat you to it. (Ironic statement.)
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:55 am

AVERY GUERRA wrote:Still another head's up is always welcome. :wink:

Why does that sound familiar now? Hmmm...
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:01 pm

August wrote:This isn't a competition, Avery. I didn't see it, I found it, and I posted the information. Sorry that I didn't beat you to it. (Ironic statement.)

^Umm...it's nothing like that at all 'August'. We had just been talking about it for a little time here. It's just always a wise thing to check a thread's post before posting an update. A very simple mistake that I myself have made many a time, and have been chewed out for, but truely causes no harm. Obviously; I was no where near the first person who discovered it as it was available for probably some time online. Anyhow; like I said before: " Either way; much appreciated". I really meant that as any heads up to bring any more attention to an awesome little film like this is very welcome and it's the thought that counts, so thanks man.
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Hawanja » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Anyone feel like making some fansubs of this?

BTW I downloaded it, if anyone is having trouble with the streaming video, let me know. It's actually pretty good quality too, probably watchable on a big screen.
Deleted
Hawanja
Godzilla Jr.

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:32 pm

Tars Tarkas" has now posted there review of the film up with a new video clip from the film:

http://tarstarkas.net/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=46
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gabbara Davis, Jr. » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 am

I appreciate the work that went into it, and love these quasi-pro kaiju films, but if I were to apply some critique to it, my only gripe would be that it SO sits on the border between an homage and a parody, in the end it's not clear what it is.

I don't speak Japanese, so am not sure if the dialog clears it up, so keep that in mind.

The film appears to be a pretty straightforward homage, serious in nature, with a few dark comedy bits that are consistent with monster movies (the couple being photographed getting gobbled -- funny, but dark.)

The UFO ending, though, introduces an entirely different element and plunges it into almost overt parody, jarring the rest of the film.

Having said all that, in looking at Final Wars, the acting, plot and execution was so over the top that even THAT film began to lose the focus on what it was, and tipped into parody -- I have a feeling that was not intended, though, and it was just a really, really bad film. I mention Final Wars, because the ending of Gehara reminded me of the ludicrous alien stuff in it.

Anyway, that would be my only criticism of Gehara -- otherwise, looks pretty damn awesome, and the monster design (which looks dumb when seen as a suit), was shot in a menacing, amazing way. And yes, they really pulled off the "glowing eyes" thing that usually looks so lame in professional kaiju films.

My two Lincolns.
Gabbara Davis, Jr.
Little Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:52 pm

Gabbara Davis, Jr. wrote:I appreciate the work that went into it, and love these quasi-pro kaiju films, but if I were to apply some critique to it, my only gripe would be that it SO sits on the border between an homage and a parody, in the end it's not clear what it is.

I don't speak Japanese, so am not sure if the dialog clears it up, so keep that in mind.

The film appears to be a pretty straightforward homage, serious in nature, with a few dark comedy bits that are consistent with monster movies (the couple being photographed getting gobbled -- funny, but dark.)

The UFO ending, though, introduces an entirely different element and plunges it into almost overt parody, jarring the rest of the film.

Having said all that, in looking at Final Wars, the acting, plot and execution was so over the top that even THAT film began to lose the focus on what it was, and tipped into parody -- I have a feeling that was not intended, though, and it was just a really, really bad film. I mention Final Wars, because the ending of Gehara reminded me of the ludicrous alien stuff in it.

Anyway, that would be my only criticism of Gehara -- otherwise, looks pretty damn awesome, and the monster design (which looks dumb when seen as a suit), was shot in a menacing, amazing way. And yes, they really pulled off the "glowing eyes" thing that usually looks so lame in professional kaiju films.

My two Lincolns.

Agreed fully.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:29 pm

Robert Hood has now posted a little blurb on the 'Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival' presentation of both this film and "G" with a video clip and some pics from the event:

http://roberthood.net/blog/index.php/20 ... vs-gehara/
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kpa » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:46 pm

I was recently given a subtitled NHK screener for the film, which has the onscreen English title GEHARHA: THE DARK AND LONG HAIR MONSTER.

I'd watched the online version months ago but this was like seeing GEHARHA for the first time. The subtitles certainly helped; it was fun to see that Shiro Sano's speech at the (almost) end of the movie was a play on Takashi Shimura's final lines in GODZILLA.

The FX are excellent, and the brighter and sharper image on the screener allowed me to catch a ton of great details that aren't visible on the online version. Having seen Taguchi's student film G I kept noticing similar FX shots and techniques used in GEHARHA but this time done on a professional level.

I really enjoyed this film and am a little envious of the audiences who got to see it on the big screen at NYAFF!
Last edited by kpa on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Flame of Udin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:02 am

kpa wrote:I was recently given a subtitled NHK screener for the film, which has the onscreen English title GEHARHA: THE DARK AND LONG HAIR MONSTER.

I'd watched the online version months ago but this was like seeing GEHARHA. The subtitles certainly helped; it was fun to see that Shiro Sano's speech at the (almost) end of the movie was a play on Takashi Shimura's final lines in GODZILLA.

The FX are excellent, and the brighter and sharper image on the screener allowed me to catch a ton of great details that aren't visible on the online version. Having seen Taguchi's student film G I kept noticing similar FX shots and techniques used in GEHARHA but this time done on a professional level.

I really enjoyed this film and am a little envious of the audiences who got to see it on the big screen at NYAFF!

Great to hear! hopefully major studios are keeping an eye on this guy, he certainly has the potential.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Elliot Gay » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:22 am

I was also rather curious about the visual quality myself.

The version online felt like it was losing a LOT to low resolution.

I'm curious to see what details I missed.
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:40 pm

And now it's coming to DVD and Blu-ray... with English subtitles! :D

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009 ... es-093009/

Heck. Freaking. Yes! So going to get this.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby G2KMaster » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:44 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:And now it's coming to DVD and Blu-ray... with English subtitles! :D

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009 ... es-093009/

Heck. Freaking. Yes! So going to get this.

I think I now need to find a cheat code to beak my Region code on my DVD player. This is going to be awesome! Especialy with English subs.
G2KMaster

Postby Destroysall » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm getting the Blu-Ray, thank you PS3! :D
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:34 am

It'd be awesome if the director's independent film G was tossed onto the DVD as an extra. Either way I'll buy it.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:18 am

Awesome. Now I have to make sure I do buy that Ps3
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Elliot Gay » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:39 pm

As much as I liked this, I'd really love to see G uploaded somewhere one of these days.

Production values may have been low, but a lot of the ingenuity looked pretty great.

One day maybe...
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:24 am

Here's our article with the dvd trailer for the film and details:

http://undeadbrainspasm.blogspot.com/20 ... n-dvd.html
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:37 pm

This isn't a rip on the movie...but almost two hours of bonus features for a 21 minute film is CRAZY! :D At least it adds content for the price. I just wish the movie was at least an hour!
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:47 am

I got a visitor to my lonely hospital room today who thankfully wasn't my nurse coming to give me my bi-hourly shot in the stomach. No, it was my wife with my latest order from Japan, Gehara and The Last Dinosaur on DVD, haven't had a chance to pop TLD in yet but did for Gehara and kpa said it perfect, watching Gehara with subtitles and with better quality is like watching an entire different movie! There are so many details I couldn't see on the streaming video (like Gehara balling tears after getting his head shot at)!

Didn't get to see all the extras except the 30 minute making of video which was really great.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:08 pm

So my PS3 should play this then right?
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:46 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:So my PS3 should play this then right?

The blu-ray will.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby kpa » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:43 pm

Check out SciFi Japan for Flame of Udin's review of the GEHARHA DVD:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009 ... -region-2/
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Great review...I'll deff be buying the blu ray...

Question though...are they really making a sequel because it sounds amazing even if it's just a faux trailer
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!