"RAIGA: THE MONSTER FROM THE DEEP SEA" [2010]!!!!

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:44 pm

jrichreturns wrote:Keith or anyone...anything new about what the director of this film is doing?


Hopefully nothing.
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
jrichreturns wrote:Keith or anyone...anything new about what the director of this film is doing?


Hopefully nothing.
:lol:
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:31 pm

It's the same guy who directed Gamera 4, I believe. Shinpei Hayashida.
Last edited by kiryugoji04 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:32 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:It's the same guy who directed Gamera 4, I believe.
really? didn't people like that quite a bit?

the plot thickens...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:34 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:It's the same guy who directed Gamera 4, I believe.
really? didn't people like that quite a bit?

the plot thickens...


I think a lot of people liked it because it was a new Gamera film. It's like Kaiju Killer - mediocre film, HUGE fan-following.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:43 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:I think a lot of people liked it because it was a new Gamera film. It's like Kaiju Killer - mediocre film, HUGE fan-following.
wait. back up.


Kaiju Killer has a huge following?
come on.
perhaps "loyal group of devoted lunkheads" is more accurate.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:50 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:I think a lot of people liked it because it was a new Gamera film. It's like Kaiju Killer - mediocre film, HUGE fan-following.
wait. back up.


Kaiju Killer has a huge following?
come on.
perhaps "loyal group of devoted lunkheads" is more accurate.


Well it's large and rabid enough to be rather infuriating.

Point is, I'm pretty sure that one of the primary reasons it gets passed around far more than, say, Terrormisu is because it features Godzilla and Godzilla has a ton of established fans who are rabid for a new movie. Gamera 4 was the sequel to one of the most popular modern kaiju films plus it is surrounded by mystery because it's so infrequently screened.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:03 pm

one of the reasons those things get passed around more than Terrormisu is that people are stupid.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:one of the reasons those things get passed around more than Terrormisu is that people are stupid.

:lol:
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:05 pm

I also think part of it is that Gamera 4 gave a conclusion to a movie that ended on a cliff hanger. It didn't matter how good or bad it was, people just wanted an ending. Also, the fact that the director managed to get Hotaru to reprise his role from the trilogy gave it some false legitimacy.
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Postby lhb412 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:48 pm

MouthForWar wrote:I finally survived a viewing of this movie.

It took so long because I found it so unbearable that I had to watch it in 20 minute segments over the past few days.

Everything bad I said about Reigo can be magnified by 100 in this movie.

Unfunny comedy? Oh god, its everywhere. And it has nothing to do with me not getting Japanese humor either... I love Japanese humor and I've seen kaiju/comedy mash ups that I actually DO find very funny (the Zebraman films, Ultraman Zearth, Gehara, etc.)... this is NOT one of them. This movie isn't funny, its just annoying and obnoxious.

I never thought I could hate Yukijirô Hotaru in a movie (the detective from the Gamera trilogy), but I hated him in Reigo, and EVEN MORE in this. He made me want to make soup out of my eardrums and eyeballs and feed it to blind children.

A bunch of characters who are introduced and you literally have no idea who they are or how they relate to eachother? Check.

Awful effects, even for a movie with such a small budget? Check.

Every actor acting (badly) in over the top hysterics? Check x 100.

Subplots that are nothing more than a waste of time? Check. They even bring back the Bone Fish from Reigo, but they serve even LESS of a purpose here than they did there.

I can't remember the last time I hated a kaiju movie this bad. Death Kappa and Monster X Strike Back maybe... but I shoved those films out of my brain the second they were over, so I can't say if this is better or worse... I will say its on the same level though.

Like those films, I wanted this thing to be over the minute it began. But unlike those films, I actually bought this and Reigo on DVD... and I hated them so much that they aren't even lucky enough to sit on my shelf. And my VHS shelf has a spot for Mothra 2 and I can't f*cking stand that film. I threw them in my closet and they will never be heard from again. I don't wanna see it again. I don't wanna think about it again. I don't want to know that I own it... I just miss the $20 I spent for this and Reigo. I'm never blind buying another kaiju movie again, especially an obscure one without a lot of reviews out there... there's been too many bad ones lately.

I really wanted to like these... I'm always pulling for ambitious, low budget films. And the fact that these are the only two full length kaiju movies I can think of that were made outside of big studios makes me want to like them more. But I can't. All I can do is beg that the sadistic maniac who made these films knocks this sh*t off.

Anybody who made it to the end of this post... don't do this... just... don't.

I'd only recommend this to people who hate themselves.




.... so, Gehara's worth watching?
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15367
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 am

Gehara is very good... and even if you DON'T like it, it will only take 21 minutes of your time :D
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:16 am

Geharha is the best giant monster movie since Gamera 3, hands down.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:55 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:Geharha is the best giant monster movie since Gamera 3, hands down.
i don't know about all THAT...

but I thought Gehara was neat enough.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:39 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:Geharha is the best giant monster movie since Gamera 3, hands down.
i don't know about all THAT...


Then you're wrong. Get out.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:49 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:Geharha is the best giant monster movie since Gamera 3, hands down.
i don't know about all THAT...


Then you're wrong. Get out.
well, i never...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Image
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby jrichreturns » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:23 am

Maybe it's tease for another film he wants to do, or it's just a tease at the end there's text that says, "NEXT: Raiga vs Magma King".
-SEIG ZEON!
User avatar
jrichreturns
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:17 am

Re: "RAIGA: THE MONSTER FROM THE DEEP SEA" [2010]!!!!

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:56 pm

BOOM!! With that the cat is out of the bag and running! Check SciFiJapan for the Exclusive scoop on our BIG kaiju film surprise! A little something I've been working on in secret with Ron Bonk of SRS Cinema! This is where we really are calling on kaiju/giant monster fans to help support us so that we can continue to bring em'!!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2019 ... n-release/
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:56 am
Location: Fort Myers, Fl.

Re: "RAIGA: THE MONSTER FROM THE DEEP SEA" [2010]!!!!

Postby klen7 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:12 am

Keep us updated. I definitely plan to purchase
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7264
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Previous

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests