War of the Insects (aka Genocide) ???

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

War of the Insects (aka Genocide) ???

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 pm

Never heard of this 1966 Japanese creature/horror film before, but it's newly offered thru Sinister Cinema according to a flyer I got in today's mail.

Here's the SinCin synopsis:

WAR OF THE INSECTS (1966) Yusuke Kowazu, Emi Shindo, Kathy Moran, Ralph Jesser, Keisuke Sonoi. It's man against bugs in this cool sci-fi shocker. A military plane carrying an atomic bomb is attacked by a new strain of killer bees. The bees have been created by a crazed female scientist who has ideas of world domination. Lots of great scenes of man battling bugs. There is one grisly scene in particular that shows extreme close-ups of insects biting into human flesh. This colorful, seldom-seen Japanese sci-fi thriller is pretty wild in places, but that's part of its charm. AKA 'Genocide' Nice color, Widescreen 16mm.

Link to DVD details on SC's website: http://store.sinistercinema.com/prostores/servlet/Detail?no=18547

So, anyone ever heard of this movie? Seen it? Have any thoughts on it?

Synopsis sounds interesting. Wondering if it's one of those depressingly grim flicks like Goke, Last Days of Planet Earth, and the like.

If you have info, please share!

THX[/url]
Last edited by Jinzo Ningen on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

WOW!!

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:24 pm

Apparently from what little I've heard and been able to find it's from the 1968 Japan. I'm not sure if it's been lost or just very obscure and impossible to find. I've had very little luck on finding much information about it online. Here's all I've found other than a few mentions although it's in French: http://www.animalattack.info/PmWiki/KonchuDaisenso
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:37 pm

Just updated my 1st post above with film & DVD info for those interested in it. I know I'm buying a copy for myself, along with a couple of other 'new" releases they're now offering. God, I love these guys. (Too bad their prices aren't a little cheaper, though. Oh well. Worth it for the rarity - and quality- of many of their titles.)
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:03 pm

I've had an unsubtitled copy for awhile but I haven't watched it yet so I couldn't tell you anything.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

good lord

Postby Xenorama » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:23 pm

man, Alpha really did clone most of Sinister's library. that's the trouble with PD stuff, huh? i can't believe they are still charging so much money for their DVDs and tapes. especially since DVD is so much cheaper, and most of their stuff is out on Alpha discs (same quality, too).

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:35 pm

The high prices of their movies vs. the competition has always been my biggest complaint with SinCin, and I've been a customer of theirs for (God, I hate to say it) over 20 years now. I don't think they've changed their pricing in all that time, which is good (and amazing in itself), but like you said David, DVD is cheaper to produce and the bulk media & shipping cost for them are all less than old bulky VHS tapes, so I don't get it either - except just to make more money. Now if they were using all that extra money to fund digitally restoration & remastering of their entire library it would be justifiable, but they're not. At least I don't think so.

Well... we can always go to those other PD sources for a lot of the titles SinCin sells, and as mentioned, many of them dupped their copies from SC anyhow (despicable, but apparently legal), so the picture & sound will be the same, or so slight as to be hardly noticeable - especially considering the money you'd save.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:48 pm

Is this a boot company? It sure looks like it. Amazon doesn't even have this.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:22 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Is this a boot company? It sure looks like it. Amazon doesn't even have this.

I don't think I'd quantify them as a purveyor of bootlegs. They specialize in public domain titles - stuff that's lapsed and no longer owner by anyone. Although there are some films I'd question the root source for, like the Daiei movies (Gamera, Majin & Voyage into Space), and one or two very old Paramount titles to name a few.

These guys have been around for a very long time when many other such outlets have dried up and blown away. If they are operating on the "Dark Side" then they are the company closest to seeing "mainstream" daylight that I know of. I have purchased a ton of films from them over the years. Many of which I had never hear of before seeing them offered in the SC catalog. A lot of great, obscure stuff. Euro horror, sword & sandal, silent, and a wagonload of B-western oaters from the 30's - 50's.

I recommend them as I've never gotten bad product or bad service in over 2 decades of buying from them - from good ol' VHS through snail mail in the 80's to DVD-r over the WWW earlier this year. Pricey, but usually very good quality. But as David mentioned above, Alpha offers probably 2/3 of SC's catalog titles mastered from SC tapes and discs(!) so quality is close - but at only 1/3 the price.

Give 'em a try. At least order one of their catalogs. you might be surprised at the wide variety of odd and rare stuff they've got.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby kpa » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:25 pm

Sinister mostly handles public domain titles but some of their releases look like they cross the "boot" line. Sinister may feel GENOCIDE is a safe bet since the film was never distributed in the US, but Shochiku produced and owns the movie and are still offering it to international buyers. The film is listed in the sales catalog I got from Shochiku earlier this month.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

yes

Postby Xenorama » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:06 pm

well, i just got a copy of Sinister's print, and it's quite nice. letterboxed and everything. i've yet to sit down and watch it (Shaolin Temple is calling first!) but it looks quite enjoyable.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!