Robert Dunham in Dogora

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Robert Dunham in Dogora

Postby Rodanex » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:52 pm

Did Dunham learn all of his lines in Japanese for this movie, or was he dubbed? I just watched "Dogora" for the first time last night...he looked like he was really speaking Japanese, but I wasn't sure.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby gojira_fan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:09 pm

Robert Dunham lived in Japan and spoke fluent Japanese.
gojira_fan
Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:55 pm

gojira_fan wrote:Robert Dunham lived in Japan and spoke fluent Japanese.

He was also the best foreigner Toho has ever employed (besides Nick Adams)!
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:00 pm

ryuuseipro wrote:
gojira_fan wrote:Robert Dunham lived in Japan and spoke fluent Japanese.

He was also the best foreigner Toho has ever employed (besides Nick Adams)!

I read somewhere that Toho was trying to get Universal to back a Mark Jackson film series,using Dogora as a starting point.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:39 pm

I thought Robert Dunham rocked in this movie. I wasn't a real huge fan of the rest of the film, but I enjoyed his performance and his chemistry with the other actors.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I kind of felt that the whole Dogora sub-plot seemed kind of tacked on or something. I think it would have been better if it had just been a crime/espionage movie about diamonds.

Also, I realize that this movie is supposed to be a satire, which is why it's kind of goofy at times. But what exactly is it trying to satirize? Monster movies? Crime/espionage movies? Movies in general?
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Rodanex wrote: But what exactly is it trying to satirize? Monster movies? Crime/espionage movies? Movies in general?

yes, yes and yes
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby August » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:22 pm

DOGORA was originally going to be a very serious sci-fi monster movie -- with the all nations teaming up to battle the creatures, which attack major cities across the world. But, Toho wanted a smaller-budgeted picture and produced this version, instead. Because of the popularity of underworld movies and the phenomenal success of the DR. NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE in Japan, the diamond smuggling plot was added to the story.

Robert Dunham, credited as "Dan Yuma," indeed spoke all of his lines in Japanese -- a quick-learner, he excelled at Japanese in language school after the Korean War (he speaks Japanese in several of the films he appeared in, including MOTHRA).
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:38 pm

August wrote:DOGORA was originally going to be a very serious sci-fi monster movie -- with the all nations teaming up to battle the creatures, which attack major cities across the world. But, Toho wanted a smaller-budgeted picture and produced this version, instead. Because of the popularity of underworld movies and the phenomenal success of the DR. NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE in Japan, the diamond smuggling plot was added to the story.

Robert Dunham, credited as "Dan Yuma," indeed spoke all of his lines in Japanese -- a quick-learner, he excelled at Japanese in language school after the Korean War (he speaks Japanese in several of the films he appeared in, including MOTHRA).

Although when he played Emperor Antonio in Godzilla Vs. Megalon, he was dubbed over, aptly, by Gorou Naya (the voice of the evil Leader in the classic Masked Rider shows)!
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:46 am

I met the late Robert Dunham in 1999 at the G-Con in New York... he was really drunk, but he was really funny too.
MouthForWar
Controller

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!