D-WAR Finally Gets US Release

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Ok, usually I wouldn't make a post that has someone else's post from another board on it, but this was just too funny for me, as these are all scenes that had me on the floor laughing in the theater. Someone at IMDB posted some examples of such unintentionally funny scenes... these are the ones mentioned:

"-When Bruce(Craig Robinson) aka Doorman gets chased by a giant serpent, has the *beep* beat out of him by the main villain, is left for dead by his best friend, and then shows up for work the next day.

-When Sarah goes out to a bar with her buddy, despite the fact that she IS ONLY 19!

-The fact that Jack had the scrolls that contained the enemy the entire time and didn't shove those bad boys into the nearest fireplace.

-Buraki, the evil serpent can plow through cars and buildings no problem, but a few bullets from a handgun pisses it off enough to let Sarah go.

-Sarah and Jason can outrun Buraki even though he can chase down a car.

-I swear to god there is a shot during the sequence when the US army is supposed to be firing at the evil minions of Buraki attacking them. Between the shots back and forth of the guns blazing and you can clearly see a shot over the soldiers firing at NOTHING! As if they completely forgot to animate in the evil troops in that one shot. "

------------------------------------

My favorite one is the observation about the black character getting beat up by the villain, then the main character only saves the girl (pretty much forgetting about his friend- I thought the character died because of that), and the guy is at work the next day with a bandage on his head and he doesn't really question anything... that was funny.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kpa » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:10 pm

There's a difference between personal attacks and having a negative opinion of someone's work. If (for example) MouthForWar said something personally insulting there would be a problem, but he (and everyone else) has every right to state his opinion of Hyung Rae Shim's movie and talent as a filmmaker.

I also wouldn't hold a fan film to the same production standards as a studio picture because they're made under totally different conditions. If a fan movie is made with intelligence and heart it should be easy to overlook imperfections.

For the record, the production budget for DRAGON WARS was actually around $33 million-- still three times higher than most Korean films but less than half of some quoted figures. Shim is also a superstar in his own country and was even named who was named Korea’s most profitable entertainer of the 1990s. This movie is doing phenomenal business in Korea and is on track to become the top grossing domestic film in the country's history so the investors (mostly Korean venture capital firms and the distributor Showbox) are thrilled. Shim's status as a big time director is assured, but whether that will translate in America is a different story.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 pm

kpa wrote:There's a difference between personal attacks and having a negative opinion of someone's work. If (for example) MouthForWar said something personally insulting there would be a problem, but he (and everyone else) has every right to state his opinion of Hyung Rae Shim's movie and talent as a filmmaker.

I also wouldn't hold a fan film to the same production standards as a studio picture because they're made under totally different conditions. If a fan movie is made with intelligence and heart it should be easy to overlook imperfections.

For the record, the production budget for DRAGON WARS was actually around $33 million-- still three times higher than most Korean films but less than half of some quoted figures. Shim is also a superstar in his own country and was even named who was named Korea’s most profitable entertainer of the 1990s. This movie is doing phenomenal business in Korea and is on track to become the top grossing domestic film in the country's history so the investors (mostly Korean venture capital firms and the distributor Showbox) are thrilled. Shim's status as a big time director is assured, but whether that will translate in America is a different story.

Thanks for the backup, Keith.

But yeah, I must have gotten some faulty info about the budget... but still 33 million is MASSIVE for a Korean film. I can't believe it cost that much.

Wasn't Mr. Shim a Korean comedian before he decided to make movies? I seem to recall having read that a long time ago.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kpa » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Thanks for the backup, Keith.

No problem.

But yeah, I must have gotten some faulty info about the budget...

$70 million has been brought up a lot, but that number includes the startup of Younggu Art's new fx studio, which is working on more projects than just D-WAR. It would be the equivalent of adding the cost of starting Weta to the budget of a single Peter Jackson film.

but still 33 million is MASSIVE for a Korean film. I can't believe it cost that much.

I think the looong production time and things like filming in downtown LA really ran up the costs.

Wasn't Mr. Shim a Korean comedian before he decided to make movies? I seem to recall having read that a long time ago.

Yeah, he was a successful comedian and actor who started directing his own movies and then launched his own production company.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Cookie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:10 am

The funny thing is.... this movie is MAKING more money than KING KONG for there respective studio.

Anyway, I watched the film. I thought the CGI was actually pretty good, the battle scene in LA was nice, the final dragon vs dragon was good. The problem is.... the acting. Nothing you can do I guess, when you have a Korean budget. Yes, there were A LOT of unintentional funny moment... lol.... the story was ok. I give the movie a C+.

MAN... this movie has made more money then KING KONG for there studio....WOW... still can't get that out of my head.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:22 am

Gzilla04 wrote:
MAN... this movie has made more money then KING KONG for there studio....WOW... still can't get that out of my head.

I don't buy that...

And even if it was true, its not really a big accomplishment. King Kong cost almost 300 million to make for Universal and in order to be considered a success, it had to TRIPLE that at the box office.

D-War cost 33 million to make... when adjusting the numbers, it really isn't that big of a deal.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Cookie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:12 am

LOL... I forgot about the money KONG made internationally anyway....
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:20 pm

MouthForWar wrote:King Kong cost almost 300 million to make for Universal and in order to be considered a success, it had to TRIPLE that at the box office.

It cost $207 million to make and needed to DOUBLE that to make its costs back (that's the general rule of thumb for all movies), which it did. It needed to make $414 million Worldwide to break even. It grossed about $550 million.
That's a profit of about $136 million.

If Dragon Wars cost $33 million to make, it needs to make $66 million to make its costs back. To make the same profit that Universal did, D-Wars will have to gross $202 million Worldwide. (Doubling the budget then making another $136 million.)
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Outkaster » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:25 pm

I just saw it and it is funny because no matter how many American actors you use you can't make an Asian style film and pass it off to American audiences. It just does not work well. Our bugets are larger and the way the movies are made is different. For example why did the military vehicles not have markings, no buget. You can see all the inconsistancies and cultural differences. If it had been made here it would have cost 3 times as much. Robert Foerster is from here in Rochester, my parents used to live down the street from him. He is a great guy.

Anyway I thought it was entertaining but really uneven, kind of like it was almost there but not quite. The last battle should have had the monsters in downtown LA. Some of the CGI was done really well and some was not so good. The concept was a good idea for a movie. This is not even close to King Kong so no one should even bring that up.
Last edited by Outkaster on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Postby JordanGLC » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:33 pm

Went to see it this afternoon with my Dad, brother and two nephews and had a great time. Not a great movie, but we were certainly entertained. The kids loved it. Too bad so much was subtitled (because of the kids).

I'd say it's worth a watch on the big screen for kaiju fans.
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:34 am

Man, I forgot to post one of the best parts.

SPOILER

-Towards the end when the main character gets shot, and then throughout the rest of the movie shows no sign of even being injured... that was funny.

-"Its the good Imoogi!"

-Robert Forester trying to explain the difference between a good Imoogi and a bad Buraki or whatever was confusing and hilarious

-The end where the are at some castle in the middle of a desert or something... where were they?

-Nobody noticing the snake wrapped around the hospital or other houses until like 5 minutes after it shows up

This movie just goes on and no with moments like this. I don't think I laughed this hard at the Simpsons movie even.

Anyone else have any favorite "so bad its good" moments?
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Cookie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:22 am

When the old man whooped those 3 guys for messing with Sarah..... then he walks away funny as hell.
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby TheMaster » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:36 am

Outkaster wrote:I just saw it and it is funny because no matter how many American actors you use you can't make an Asian style film and pass it off to American audiences. It just does not work well. Our bugets are larger and the way the movies are made is different. For example why did the military vehicles not have markings, no buget. You can see all the inconsistancies and cultural differences. If it had been made here it would have cost 3 times as much. Robert Foerster is from here in Rochester, my parents used to live down the street from him. He is a great guy.

Anyway I thought it was entertaining but really uneven, kind of like it was almost there but not quite. The last battle should have had the monsters in downtown LA. Some of the CGI was done really well and some was not so good. The concept was a good idea for a movie. This is not even close to King Kong so no one should even bring that up.

for whatever reason American actors and Asian monster flicks NEVER mix.
From the effeminate navy commander in Gvs. King G to the awful pimp in GFW to gosh every bit of dialogue spoken by "professor asimoff", for whatever reason its always laughable.
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Outkaster » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:00 pm

It's because of cultural differences. I know. I have dealt with a lot of Asian culture due to being in the Martial Arts for 27 years. It is just different.
Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Postby Jays » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:01 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
Anyone else have any favorite "so bad its good" moments?

>When the 2 leads are on top of the skyscraper with the evil imoogi and the military helicopters open fire. In close ups, shells are pouring on and around the humans, but in the cut away , long shots the helicopters are on the side of the building, not above.

>The gold jewelry the black sidekick/co-worker wears.

>How the reporter simply IGNORES police lines. He brazenly walks over and removes the sheet from the face of a corpse at crime scene. He disturbs a police interrogation IN A POLICE STATION! <--- maybe this was a different character, my mind was numb at this point.

>How the doctor just lets the female lead, who is in quarantine, leave the hospital.

>And lastly, where the hell did the finale take place?

There is definitely some stereotyping of Americans going on in Dragon Wars. It may seem silly to us, but it's a real reflection of how many people view Americans.

As for bad acting in Asian giant monster monster movies, I think gaijin actors are very low on the priority list for a director making this type of film. Why bother spending money on good actors that your target/main audience can't even understand and usually have very little screentime?

If Dragon Wars was not concerned with a decent story or script, why would they bother with good actors? Dragon Wars, while having some solid effects and action scenes, if a badly made film. Check out the The Host for a well made monster movie from South Korean. Actually, I think it's the ONLY good S. Korean monster movie. :D
Jays
Godzilla Egg

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:15 pm

D-War opened at #4 this weekend, taking in 5 million... I'm not even sure how that happened. But once word of mouth and critics tear this apart (even more), it'll probably fall off the radar faster than Death Sentence.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby TheMaster » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Outkaster wrote:It's because of cultural differences. I know. I have dealt with a lot of Asian culture due to being in the Martial Arts for 27 years. It is just different.

well duh, its just unintentionally funny many a time. In the case of the Toho flicks I'm surprised they never had an american consultant who would say"Uhhh the line "that looks to me like it was from another planet", uhh we don't talk that way". Or "Don Frye is saying his lines horribly". When it comes to american "tributes" thats probably the worst. In Destroyah we had really poor knock offs of aliens, in GFW we had everything from ID4 to Jedi. And D-wars in many ways tried to have the sensibility of an American blockbuster-yet failed miserably. Bottome line Asians should stick to their own strengths, they have many. When its oiginal, like the Host it can be good. Anytime it involves us ironically it becomes laughable.
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby william newell » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:51 pm

Well, I'm obviously in the minority here, but I really enjoyed this movie! I went in with the expectation of nothing more than maybe a couple of good effects scenes, and found myself really wrapped up in this...Far above Yonggary and GINO in my book. In fact, I would place this around Godzilla 2000 as far as entertainment value. It's definately not a perfect film, the acting is definately one-note. It seems everyone wears the same facial expression through the whole movie. And there are some blaring plot holes, but to be honest, I've seen other Asian movies that were less comprehensible(Casshern comes to mind...) and really, how many giant monster movies are there that can't be picked apart quite easily., if your determined to do so. And as far as effects go, this movie really suprised me. To my eye, they looked great! Of course, as is almost always the case with a movie like this, there were a coulpe of clunkers, but nothing bad enough to pull me out of the story. The battle scene in L.A. I thought was outstanding. Several very interesting and imaginative P.O.V. shots, definately got my adreniline pumping. Oh well, this is just one man's opinion, of course, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this again and hope it does well at the box office.
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:17 pm

MouthForWar wrote:D-War opened at #4 this weekend, taking in 5 million... I'm not even sure how that happened. But once word of mouth and critics tear this apart (even more), it'll probably fall off the radar faster than Death Sentence.

It had some decent advertising. I saw a lot of commercials on Comedy Central, [adult swim], TBS, and Spike. They might even have marketed it on some kids' channels. Plus all of the internet advertising. There's the chunk of people that got drawn in by that, and the genre fans like us who went to see it, and the fantasy fans (those who see Eragon, Bridge To Terabithia and the ilk) who would have been drawn to it. Hell, I'm surprised it didn't rake in a bit more than just $5 million.

The advertisements I saw made it look like some pretty badass kaiju action. But with all the buzz I've heard I'll be renting this one for sure. Speaking of which, has a US distributor even secured home video rights yet?

TheMaster wrote:When its oiginal, like the Host it can be good. Anytime it involves us ironically it becomes laughable.

The Host "involved us" quite a bit.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby TheMaster » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:09 pm

^dude you know what I mean. Theres a big difference with well executed plot elements and poor "tributes" or homages and bad actors saying things that make no sense.
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Baradagi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:10 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote: Speaking of which, has a US distributor even secured home video rights yet?

Variety Asia reported that Sony has picked up the home video rights in North America.
Baradagi
Godzilla Jr.

Postby kpa » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:28 pm

I would bet the people from Younggu Art are pretty happy right now. They wanted to have the first wide release of a Korean film in America, and now they've done that. They weren't expecting it to be a blockbuster here but if it opened in the top ten it would establish their company on the international market and support foreign sales. With DRAGON WARS opening at #4 its done its job. Obviously the studio would be ecstatic if the film had been some kind of surprise hit, but it looks like its going
to do as well as they expected.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:31 am

Apparently the director of this garbage said his film deserves to be ranked up there with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and he said he considers himself as good as Peter Jackson and Spielberg and sees himself as the "Korean George Lucas"

It takes some major balls (as well as a major lack of sanity and brain cells) to make comments like that no matter WHO you are... but ESPECIALLY if you are the director of D-War.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:19 am

MouthForWar wrote:Apparently the director of this garbage said his film deserves to be ranked up there with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and he said he considers himself as good as Peter Jackson and Spielberg and sees himself as the "Korean George Lucas"

I agree with the very last part.

But seriously, that is funny.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:55 pm

That's why I'm in the middle of debating whether to like this film...... it was an alright film, but why the heck does the director think it should be ranked with Star Wars and LotR? He's like seriously in denial or something....
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!