D-WAR Finally Gets US Release

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

D-WAR Finally Gets US Release

Postby kpa » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:13 pm

I guess hell has frozen over!

Showbox has officially announced that the long-delayed D-WAR will have a theatrical release in both South Korea and the United States. The latest info— including the US distributor, the planned release date, the latest poster design, and a link to the latest trailer— is now on SciFi Japan:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007 ... l-release/
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:53 pm

Now why couldn't The Host have gotten as wide of a release as this? It deserved it.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:04 am

This news just makes me all the more impatient for the HOST DVD.

... that's a little sad.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:52 am

1,500 theaters!!! :shock:

What are they nuts? :o
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kpa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:13 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:Now why couldn't The Host have gotten as wide of a release as this? It deserved it.

THE HOST is definitely a much better film, but there's that foreign language problem that makes it a harder sell to Joe Sixpack. D-WAR is shallow, but it looks good and was filmed in English with some recognizable American actors so it could work for the multiplexes.

D-WAR's problem is that it's not that good a film, so even if it does get some buzz word of mouth will probably kill it at the box office.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:30 am

kpa wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:Now why couldn't The Host have gotten as wide of a release as this? It deserved it.

THE HOST is definitely a much better film, but there's that foreign language problem that makes it a harder sell to Joe Sixpack. D-WAR is shallow, but it looks good and was filmed in English with some recognizable American actors so it could work for the multiplexes.

True, but I think subtitled films have slooowly been getting more and more accepted. In the past year, Pan's Labyrinth and Apocalypto both got wide releases, the latter in over 2,000 theaters. Granted, neither were stellar successes, but they both turned in nice domestic profits. I think The Host probably could have done just as well or almost as well with the proper wide release and marketing campaign. Critics ate it up, and it made $2 mil as it is on just over 100 screens.

I don't know, I just think Magnolia really missed out on a golden opportunity with that flick. It'll probably make a killing in DVD sales.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Elliot Gay » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:10 pm

kpa wrote:Joe Sixpack.

Best name ever.

Well, this is a bit surprising. I didn't expect D-war to ever get that kind of intense distribution.

Though if the film is as iffy as it seems, I highly doubt it'll make back it's production costs.
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Danno » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:32 pm

I'M JOE SIXPACK AND I LOVE MOVIES WITH FAST CARS AND NOS?! Honestly that is a perfect name. When I went to go see Miami Vice (forced to by friends) some Joe Sixpack behind me yelled "NICE!" when the car shot out flames in the exhaust. I just shook my head and went back to sleep.
Danno
Godzilla

Postby kpa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:48 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:True, but I think subtitled films have slooowly been getting more and more accepted. In the past year, Pan's Labyrinth and Apocalypto both got wide releases, the latter in over 2,000 theaters. Granted, neither were stellar successes, but they both turned in nice domestic profits. I think The Host probably could have done just as well or almost as well with the proper wide release and marketing campaign. Critics ate it up, and it made $2 mil as it is on just over 100 screens.

I don't know, I just think Magnolia really missed out on a golden opportunity with that flick. It'll probably make a killing in DVD sales.

I do agree with you, Ben. CROUCHING TIGER and PASSION OF THE CHRIST (and to a lesser extent, PAN'S LABYRINTH and APOCALYPTO) have shown that audiences will occasionally turn out for subtitled films. But they're still exceptions to the rule and I can understand why a distributor would be cautious with an all-Korean monster movie but another would go for an English language monster movie with American actors, even though the Korean language film is much better.

Elliot Gay wrote:Well, this is a bit surprising. I didn't expect D-war to ever get that kind of intense distribution.

Though if the film is as iffy as it seems, I highly doubt it'll make back it's production costs.

While I'm not positive, my guess is that Showbox didn't/couldn't make a deal with a US distributor for D-WAR and decided to do it themselves. Freestyle doesn't operate like a typical distributor... instead they're contracted by a studio/producer to handle all the details of distribution for an advance fee. They don't assume any financial risk if the film fails, and they don't get any additional profit if the film is a hit (though any success would likely make Freestyle more marketable to other studios). Based on what I've read so far, it looks like Showbox hired Freestyle to get D-WAR into theaters, and it's Showbox who wants to go with a big release.

If this works, this could be an option for Toho or other Japanese studios to get their films shown in the US. A few months back I saw Freestyle's FIRST SNOW, and that film played on 2 screens in Los Angeles (I actually saw FIRST SNOW in the exact same theater that I saw D-WAR last year). Movies like SINKING OF JAPAN or DEATH NOTE may not have the general appeal for 1500 screens, but I could certainly see an arthouse release that hits the key markets in the US.

Danno wrote:I'M JOE SIXPACK AND I LOVE MOVIES WITH FAST CARS AND NOS?! Honestly that is a perfect name. When I went to go see Miami Vice (forced to by friends) some Joe Sixpack behind me yelled "NICE!" when the car shot out flames in the exhaust. I just shook my head and went back to sleep.

Exactly! :lol:
Last edited by kpa on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby emeGoji » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:27 pm

emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby JordanGLC » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:31 am

kpa wrote:D-WAR's problem is that it's not that good a film, so even if it does get some buzz word of mouth will probably kill it at the box office.
Yeah I'm real curious to see where D-War will rate on the tomatometer. I'll be there opening weekend, but I won't be bangin' the drum for this to my friends like I was for The Host.
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby TheFoywonder » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:58 pm

JordanGLC wrote:
kpa wrote:D-WAR's problem is that it's not that good a film, so even if it does get some buzz word of mouth will probably kill it at the box office.
Yeah I'm real curious to see where D-War will rate on the tomatometer. I'll be there opening weekend, but I won't be bangin' the drum for this to my friends like I was for The Host.

I bet they don't screen it for critics in advance of opening weekend.
THE FOYWONDER PRESENTS:
THE LATE SHOW and B-WARE THE BLOG!
TheFoywonder
Little Godzilla

Postby emeGoji » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:34 pm

:lol:
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:31 am

Is that somebody picnicing on the roof?
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:35 am

Well if you want a good view of the action... :lol:
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Kailem » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:39 am

"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
Kailem
Godzilla

Postby kpa » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Check out SciFi Japan for some exclusive news and photos on both the US and Korean releases of D-WAR/DRAGON WARS.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007 ... s-release/
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:12 pm

Any news about a Japanese release date? I couldn't find anything on the SciFi Japan site.
~Brian
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla

Postby kpa » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:16 pm

Not yet, Moonlight. Younggu Art's goal from the start was to open in the US and then follow with other countries so I imagine we'll start hearing more in late August/early September.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:51 pm

kpa wrote:Not yet, Moonlight. Younggu Art's goal from the start was to open in the US and then follow with other countries so I imagine we'll start hearing more in late August/early September.

Thanks, Keith! Really looking forward to this one.
~Brian
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla

Postby dIsCoMbObuLaTor » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:32 am

Interesting.....I will most likely go see this opening weekend....but I will probably have to go see it alone. Unless I can talk some of my friends into going to see it, lol.

It's been in production for so long, it will have to be at least decent XD.
dIsCoMbObuLaTor
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:57 am

[quote="SciFi Japan"]Now, as the theatrical launch draws near, Younggu Art Entertainment/D-War Production Office has provided additional information and an exclusive first look at the DRAGON WARS “tall wallâ€
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kpa » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:25 am

[quote="Benjamin Haines"][quote="SciFi Japan"]Now, as the theatrical launch draws near, Younggu Art Entertainment/D-War Production Office has provided additional information and an exclusive first look at the DRAGON WARS “tall wallâ€
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:53 am

kpa wrote:From what I'm hearing this film might actually be a big hit in Korea. The director is one of the country's most beloved celebrities, and the movie is generating a lot of buzz. In Korea, this film may be "review proof" like a Michael Bay movies is here; no matter what the critics say the public will want to give it a look.

That wouldn't surprise me, but if I recall correctly, Yonggary was a huge hit there too. I remember somebody who lives in South Korea had joined the old Gojistomp forums years ago and said that the film stayed in theaters there for months upon months and was considered a huge deal among the public. But I'd personally rather catch bird flu than have to watch that movie again.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kpa » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:50 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:
kpa wrote:From what I'm hearing this film might actually be a big hit in Korea. The director is one of the country's most beloved celebrities, and the movie is generating a lot of buzz. In Korea, this film may be "review proof" like a Michael Bay movies is here; no matter what the critics say the public will want to give it a look.

That wouldn't surprise me, but if I recall correctly, Yonggary was a huge hit there too. I remember somebody who lives in South Korea had joined the old Gojistomp forums years ago and said that the film stayed in theaters there for months upon months and was considered a huge deal among the public. But I'd personally rather catch bird flu than have to watch that movie again.

From everything I've heard, YONGGARY opened strong and then tanked fast. It lost a ton of money, and the director has said more than once it was a huge disappointment so I doubt it was playing for several months.

You know what I thought of D-WAR since I posted my opinion many months ago on SFJ. It's no HOST (which I loved) but it's no YONGGARY (which I thought was crap) either. The fx in D-WAR are a quantum leap beyond what was seen in YONGGARY, and the movie definitely benefits from having real actors as opposed to some guys who speak English (which was pretty much everyone in YONGGARY).

Since I've already seen the movie, what most interests me right now is how Younggu Art is releasing this film and if it will have any effect on how other foreign films will be handled in the future.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Next

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!