Proper DVD Release for Yonggary...is there one?

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Xenorama » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:53 pm

this is an amazing looking transfer. YONGARY looks way better in widescreen than you'd think it should. too bad it's paired up with that boring KONGA. a better double feature would have been THE X FROM OUTER SPACE.

however, just for Yongary, it's a great deal. it was pretty funny to see the start menu use the old VHS cover.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby kpa » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:47 pm

A YONGARY/X FROM OUTER SPACE double feature would have been great but MGM's rights to the second film have expired.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Yongary never looked better. A great effort at putting this back together the way it was meant to be seen. Worth it for sure.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:44 pm

I ordered this awhile back off of Deep Discount and when it shipped I was crestfallen to find the disc was horrendously damaged in a way that I have a very hard time finding an apt description for. So I sent it back and requested another copy.

Another package arrived in the mail and I was SO EXCITED that I was finally going to see Yongary! I ripped open the package to discover--- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?! My girlfriend convinced me to keep it and in doing so I rediscovered my love for said film. I was still, however, not seeing Yongary any time soon.

But now, after ages of waiting, I FINALLY got this from my girlfriend for my birthday last night! 8D

It. Was. AWESOME.

Yongary: The tragic tale of a sleep-deprived monster's doomed search for a cup of coffee in a country where no one knows how to drive.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 am

So is this double feature disc really in widescreen? I just bought one off of Ebay...brand new, unopened...but the description says full frame. Maybe they just goofed...
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby GaryT » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:06 am

ultrazilla2000 wrote:So is this double feature disc really in widescreen? I just bought one off of Ebay...brand new, unopened...but the description says full frame. Maybe they just goofed...

The MGM YONGARY/KONGA disc is in real, honest-to-goodness widescreen.
GaryT
Godzilla Jr.

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:44 am

GaryT wrote:
ultrazilla2000 wrote:So is this double feature disc really in widescreen? I just bought one off of Ebay...brand new, unopened...but the description says full frame. Maybe they just goofed...

The MGM YONGARY/KONGA disc is in real, honest-to-goodness widescreen.

I just found that out when I opened mine in the mail the other day! Very happy indeed. :D
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Alpha OTS » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:51 pm

I missed this thread originally, glad it was bumped with new posts mentioning the transfer quality.

I made the amazon purchase for the Yongarry/Konga midnite movie combo. Definitely looking forward to both. :D
Alpha OTS
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MrShape666 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:18 pm

I have the Alpha release. At the time, however, I was just happy to finally be able to see this film which had been eluding me for years. Although I did see that dreadful "remake" Reptilian, which, like Gino, had NOTHING to do with Yonggary at all.

The first time I even heard about this film's existence was in Anti-American communist film critic and genre snob Phil Hardy's rather bloated and pompous (and frequently inaccurate) The Overlook Encyclopedia Of Film: Science Fiction, in which he blasted the film as anti-communist propaganda. Having finally seen the film, I'm not sure what he was talking about.

I'll probably get the Midnight Movies disc, since it sounds much better (all of the MM discs I've got are pretty good). But yeah, I'd rather see a DVD release of Guilala instead of Konga as well.

All in all, I think this is a fun Kaiju. Nothing we haven't seen before and rather standard stuff made more notable for its Korean rather then Japanese origin, but and nice ride none the less.
This is THE SHAPE speaking.
MrShape666
Little Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:46 pm

Here is my full review of YONGARY, if anyone would like to read it. I'm pretty proud of it, if I do say so myself. Let me know if you like it if you happen to give it a read. XD
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Proper DVD Release for Yonggary...is there one?

Postby EricDent » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:33 pm

Sorry to bump a really old topic, but this has gotten a new release recently on Blu-Ray (& DVD) and looks great!
Kino Lorber did a great job!
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Proper DVD Release for Yonggary...is there one?

Postby MrShape666 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:26 am

EricDent wrote:Sorry to bump a really old topic, but this has gotten a new release recently on Blu-Ray (& DVD) and looks great!
Kino Lorber did a great job!

I've been meaning to pic this up.
This is THE SHAPE speaking.
MrShape666
Little Godzilla

Previous

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!