The X From Outer Space (Just saw it)

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: The X From Outer Space (Just saw it)

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue May 31, 2016 11:55 am

I watched this the other night, and I really love it. It's nothing amazing, but its fun to watch and balances the kaiju-ness and comedy fairly well. I also love how bizarre Guilala is. He feels like a forerunner to things like the Chojuh of Ace. So bizarreee...
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:23 pm

Yeh, my latest viewing of this catapulted it up the ranks. Still a few things I'd prefer played out differently, but it's not guilty of being boring.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:09 am

^ Weird, I thought it was totally boring. Not my cup of tea, especially the bizzaro score.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 am

Hybrid Gojira wrote:^ Weird, I thought it was totally boring. Not my cup of tea, especially the bizzaro score.

The bizarre score is part of what makes the movie work so well for me.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:43 am

Man, up in the middle of the night and this is on TCM.

It's frequently on TCM, right? It's like the staple kaiju film of the network. They've shown Godzilla '54 and a few other Classic Media titles from time to time, but none are in as heavy a rotation as X.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:03 am

blastr:
13 vintage Japanese sci-fi movies to pair with some sushi and sake
Elizabeth Rayne wrote:Frankenstein Conquers the World (1965)

Never take shady orders to seize the immortal heart of Frankenstein from a Nazi lab, even it is for biological research. Creeping around that jungle of chemicals is a feral boy who has built up a mysterious resistance to radiation. Like a scene from a sci-fi soap opera, Teen Frankenstein breaks out and terrorizes most of Japan years later, all because someone took a little too long debating whether to cut a limb off and see if it grows back. That wasn’t the only indecision looming over this movie. Uncertainty over throwing in a massive mollusk led to an alternate eight-legged ending that mutated the title to Frankenstein vs. the Giant Devilfish. Also, taxonomy fail. The monster’s nemesis Baragon, threateningly called the “prehistoric mastodon of destruction” in the trailer voice-over, is actually a huge one-horned lizard. Someone’s biology teacher was facepalming in a movie theater somewhere when this was released.

Elizabeth Rayne wrote:The X From Outer Space (1967)

So egregiously awful it's almost mesmerizing, The X From Outer Space is one of those movies at which you can’t help laughing even when some sort of dinosaur hybrid is projectile-spitting fireballs at the screaming masses of Tokyo. This is why you never bring home stuff you randomly picked up in space for show and tell. When astronauts find alien spores floating around Mars, the specimens just have to be studied in a petri dish back on Earth—because science. Now it’s trampling cars and guzzling nuclear fuel by the tank. While the rubber suit that is Guilala doesn’t look like much more than one of those rubber dollar-store Godzillas with a red-eyed chicken head, that’s exactly what makes it so hilarious to watch as it storms through the city on its ridiculous rampage. Pass the wasabi popcorn.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:39 am

Happy 50th to Guilala! This interesting Maser Patrol article elucidates just how often the monster seems to crop up:

https://maserpatrol.wordpress.com/2017/ ... aiju-icon/

Basically: since Guilala is Shochiku's only kaiju he represents the genre if the studio or someone dealing with the studio needs kaiju stock footage.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:07 pm

^ Interesting article. A lot of stuff i hadnt heard before. Thanks for sharing
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Nifty writeup on the film from the Filmstruck blog (formerly TCM's Movie Morlocks):

http://streamline.filmstruck.com/2017/0 ... ter-space/

It belongs in the tradition of the Japanese Kaiju films, monster movies that enjoyed a golden period in the 1950s and 1960s, starting with the birth of Gojira (Godzilla) in 1954. There is a stylishness and wit to them that is often overlooked while everyone pokes fun at the man in the rubber monster suit. But just because the monster suits weren’t up to today’s standards of technologically advanced costume design, doesn’t mean the films weren’t well made in their own right.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!