DAIMAJIN (2008)

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby JordanGLC » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:55 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:One word: Chaiyo.
I thought that only had to do with the original and Ultra7? Other Ultra stuff has come out in the US.
kiryugoji04 wrote:Yay for DaiMajin Vs. King Caesar! :D :lol:
We'll mount a campaign at the Egyptian on June 30! :rockon:
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:11 pm

JordanGLC wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:One word: Chaiyo.
I thought that only had to do with the original and Ultra7? Other Ultra stuff has come out in the US.

BEFORE the lawsuits began, I think. And it's the first 6 Ultra series plus Ultra Q and Jamborg Ace (and others, perhaps?) that are disputed. Anyway, TPC doesn't want to take any risks with releasing ANYTHING until this is cleared up. I'm sure August or KPA could tell you more.

:(

And I live in GEORGIA! But I'll be with you... in spirit... :(

:lol:
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jim Ballard » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:04 pm

I'm not a mod or anything, but there's already a bazillion Chaiyo threads around the board. Hate to see a DAIMAJIN thread turn into another Tsuburaya vs. Chaiyo shouting match.

http://www.clubtokyo.org/discuss/viewto ... 32&start=0
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

Postby Robert Saint John » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:22 pm

Yes, please, thanks James. Let's keep it to DAIMAJIN please. I really don't want to start refereeing another Chaiyo thread.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:28 pm

When I think of "Daimajin", I also have to think of Akira Ifukube's themes as well. Watching a new one without hearing the maestro’s music will sort of seem rather odd.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:36 pm

I was thinking the same the other day when I wrote up the piece. For some reason, to me, DAIMAIJIN without Ifukube (even moreso than Godzilla) will seem a little empty.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby Lord Hastur » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:55 pm

mechascorpio wrote:I was thinking the same the other day when I wrote up the piece. For some reason, to me, DAIMAIJIN without Ifukube (even moreso than Godzilla) will seem a little empty.

Right, but maybe there will be some of Ifukube's original music in the new film somewhere. Even just a snippet as a tie to the original trilogy, know what I mean? Yeah, so anyway let me tell you all about a rumuor I heard a long while back:

Somewhere around 1994-1995 when GAMERA was being resurrected, I recall hearing that Daei was also interested in resurrecting Majin. There was talk of a film being set in modern Kyoto or Tokyo, and besides him, there was supposedly a Dragon that was going to roughly resemble the Magic Serpent type who was Evil and going to brawl Majin. Obviously this went nowhere, but could any of these elements be retained in the 2008 film? And anyone else remember this rumour besides me?
Lord Hastur

Postby ryuuseipro » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:55 pm

mechascorpio wrote:I was thinking the same the other day when I wrote up the piece. For some reason, to me, DAIMAIJIN without Ifukube (even moreso than Godzilla) will seem a little empty.

I sometimes think the same thing about Zatoichi. Ifukube did most of the Zatoichi film scores (and there are other composers in the series who have done a great job), so when I see the new movies (which have them thar' J-Pop songs), it doesn't quite feel the same. :)

But come what may, I at least hope this remake is good. Of course, the only nadir (at least IMHO) is that we'll probably hear another random J-Pop song at the end. :roll:
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:36 am

LOL. Everyone complains that new Godzilla movies NEED Ifukube themes and now the Godzilla series ends and everyone is doing the exact same thing to Daimaijin now?

Guys, we have to let Ifukube go. He composed some amazing scores to some incredible films and now he's left this mortal coil. I think it's really counterproductive to sit here lamenting the lack of Ifukube themes in newer movies after the man has passed on. Cause it ain't going to happen and we have to be open minded to new composers and what they have to offer.

And lets keep secondary Daikaiju out of a new Majin movie. I think a solo kaiju film makes a well needed change of pace. Daimajin didn't need kaiju opponents in the 60s and he surely doesnt need any now.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:06 am

Legion wrote:LOL. Everyone complains that new Godzilla movies NEED Ifukube themes and now the Godzilla series ends and everyone is doing the exact same thing to Daimaijin now?

Guys, we have to let Ifukube go. He composed some amazing scores to some incredible films and now he's left this mortal coil. I think it's really counterproductive to sit here lamenting the lack of Ifukube themes in newer movies after the man has passed on. Cause it ain't going to happen and we have to be open minded to new composers and what they have to offer.

I agree. I love Ifukube's music to death that doesn't mean it NEEDS to be in everything he's ever been involved with. Besides, we've got great modern kaiju composers, such as Otani and (IMO) Oshima!

And lets keep secondary Daikaiju out of a new Majin movie. I think a solo kaiju film makes a well needed change of pace. Daimajin didn't need kaiju opponents in the 60s and he surely doesnt need any now.

I could go either way. A solo film would kick ass but at the same time it'd be awesome to see DaiMajin face off against another creature... like a huge, oriental-style dragon! :D
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:30 am

Legion wrote:LOL. Everyone complains that new Godzilla movies NEED Ifukube themes and now the Godzilla series ends and everyone is doing the exact same thing to Daimaijin now?

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting that all new Godzilla movies need Ifukube! (Ditto Daimajin or Zatoichi.) :wink:

Like I said, if I survived with Masaru Satou, Riichirou Manabe and the like, then I can certainly survive with Michiru Ooshima and Kou Ootani (both very competent composers).
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:35 am

Guys, we have to let Ifukube go.

Expressing how integral some of us feel that Ifukube's scores to the original DAIMAJIN films is not the same as wishing he were brought back from the dead. Stop exaggerating, sheesh. I for one would never want his old scores applied to a new film, it's a different world now.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby JimPV » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:26 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:
Legion wrote:And lets keep secondary Daikaiju out of a new Majin movie. I think a solo kaiju film makes a well needed change of pace. Daimajin didn't need kaiju opponents in the 60s and he surely doesnt need any now.

I could go either way. A solo film would kick ass but at the same time it'd be awesome to see DaiMajin face off against another creature... like a huge, oriental-style dragon! :D

Yeah, kiryugoji04, you took the words right outa' my mouth. The first Majin movie was great, but for me, they got a tad repititious after. Majin coming to life in the last 15 min.s to right the wrongs of the evil-doers worked good for the original, but the sequels need something more. I agree: him fighting a "huge, oriental-style dragon" could be great!
Last edited by JimPV on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimPV
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Takashi Miike + Daimajin = a dream come true

oh my god
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Mexigojira » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:52 pm

I preefer to be possitive, besides, at last Daimajin is resurrected (literaly)
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:49 pm

I feel like I need to reply to this again.

If this movie has even half the heart of Kaneko's Gameras or Peter Jackson's King Kong, this will be an amazing piece of work. Man, just thinking about it.

OH MY FREAKING GOD!

That is all.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby planetxleader » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:54 am

Well, I just hope it isn't three hours long. :wink:
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:05 pm

There's a big interview with Takashi Miike in the last issue of Rue Morgue (not the one with Godzilla on it that is the current one). Its mostly about his banned episode of Masters of Horror, but at the end they ask him about Daimajin.

What can you tell us about your upcoming Daimajin film?

Miike: The Daimajin project is actually going on. It is a tough challenge to bring back the strongest dark hero in Japanese movies. There are a lot of humps to get over. You might see it in Spring 2008 at the earliest. Please look forward to seeing it.

AWESOMENESS. You can tell he's very enthusiastic, and his little description of the Majin character shows that he really likes and understands him and the old films. This will be great.
MouthForWar
Controller

mix old & new???

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:34 am

Perhaps the composer assigned to this new film could re-work cues and/or parts of the original scores into the new music, like John Ottman did to the original John Williams score for Superman Returns. It had it's own "feel" and originality, while keeping the heart of the Williams score alive and injecting it into just the right moments during the film. A similar treatment of Ifukube's cues would serve this new Majin very well, I think.

-JN
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Re: DAIMAJIN (2008)

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:10 pm

It's a decade later and I'm still pissed that this movie wasn't made. Daimajin is one of my favorite kaiju, Miike's terrific and seeing his Ultraman Max episodes last year fully sold me on him working the genre.

... but with the enormous success of Shin Godzilla (and Godzilla anime and resurgence of Ultraman popularity) bring kaiju back to Japan here's hoping that one of the country's most notable and prolific directors will get another chance to make a kaiju movie. I hope it happens!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:18 pm

All of Miike's remakes, regardless of genre, are pretty derivative of the original (Hara-Kiri is a SCENE FOR SCENE remake). The television series we got was the best case scenario. A new, colorful direction.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:23 am

Yokai War has very little in common with the original.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:08 am

^Yeah, it's a radical reinvention through-and-through.

His two Ultraman Max episodes experiment with the conventions of the show almost to the breaking point,* and both in entirely different ways and with entirely different tones.

* Not as much as Jissoji, though
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:32 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:Yokai War has very little in common with the original.

Hm. I found them to be fairly similar. Not like, to a distracting extent or anything, but enough to recognize some of the themes and story beats.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:54 pm

^ They both have Yokai, and Kappa is comedy relief?
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!