DAIMAJIN (2008)

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

DAIMAJIN (2008)

Postby Jim Ballard » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:18 pm

First news is over at Sci-Fi Japan:
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2006 ... shi-miike/
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

Postby Elliot Gay » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:24 pm

I said it once I'll say it again.

It's gonna be incredible, even if we have to wait two years for it. Heh.
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:32 pm

Big thanks to you, Jim, for clueing us in on it!
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby kpa » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:50 pm

Damn, Jim... that was fast!
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Xenorama » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:54 am

so wait... remaking old US movies is bad, but remaking old Japanese movies is good? i'm not sure i follow that logic at all.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:05 am

The thing with Daimajin is it doesnt necessarrily need to be a remake but maybe more of a reimagining. I mean look at the first 3 movies, all pretty much the same story yet it works. I think with todays technology this should prove to be an interesting movie. Hopefully they use snippets of the original score.
KG
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:43 am

Fantastic news! I've been waiting for a Daimajin remake ever since Kadokowa bought Daiei! And with Miike at the helm, I'm looking forward to this more than anyone could possibly imagine!!

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:27 am

Yes!!! Sounds like a Daimajin prequel to me. I'd really like to see Majin in a modern landscape, but either way I cannot wait to see this!
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:36 am

Xenorama wrote:so wait... remaking old US movies is bad, but remaking old Japanese movies is good? i'm not sure i follow that logic at all.

Not always good or bad in either case. But I saw what Miike did with YOKAI WAR, and based on the small description for DAIMAIJIN, I think it probably will be more of a "reimagining" rather than a remake.

Although, personally, I don't even have a problem with remakes. As far as I'm concerned, it's the studios' money. Doesn't change my perception of the original, whether I liked it or not. Some work, some don't. WAR OF THE WORLDS worked for me. I suspect THE OMEN won't. In both cases, I still have the original.

Frankly, I think crappy sequels are far more damaging to a property than a remake. I can only hope that SUPERMAN RETURNS makes me forget S3 and S4 once and for all!

planetxleader wrote:Yes!!! Sounds like a Daimajin prequel to me. I'd really like to see Majin in a modern landscape, but either way I cannot wait to see this!

I'd say that based on the description listed, and based on Miike's approach to YOKAI WAR, you may get both!
Last edited by Robert Saint John on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby dramaranger » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:37 am

Now, whom do we pester to get Daimajin faced off with an enemy daikaiju?
Lights, Camera, Power Up!

"Hey Bub, you need a house to go with this doorknob!"

"That boy's as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrel of oatmeal."
dramaranger
Baby Godzilla

Postby Jim Ballard » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:25 am

kpa wrote:Damn, Jim... that was fast!

Heh, I have SFJP's RSS feed on my homepage. Gotta be up to date on my monster news! http://i6.tinypic.com/122lreu.jpg
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

Postby Bored Gamer » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:48 am

OH

MY

GOD

I just had a joygasm. Thank you, Miike. I was hoping for a new Daimajin for some time now...

Girls can't resist me! Especially after I pay them!
Bored Gamer
Godzillasaurus

Postby JordanGLC » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:02 am

Costner to his agent: "Get me some face time with Miike, stat!" :lol:

Sounds great. I know this won't happen (but who knows really with Miike), but I'd love to see some graphic samurai battles in this. That'd probably push it out of the demographic they're aiming for. :lol:

Many thanks to Kadokawa for carrying the mantle during what alot of us assumed would be a dry era.
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:20 am

What's with Miike makng all these "normal" movies these days? :o
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:25 am

Yeah, I've been wondering about that myself! I would never have thought the director of AUDITION would do films (and TV, he did an episode of "Ultraman Maxx" I think) like this. Then again, Sam Raimi ended up doing Spider-man!
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby Reddu Kingu » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:40 pm

Joseph Goodman wrote:What's with Miike makng all these "normal" movies these days? :o

Probably on Prozac. :wink:
Reddu Kingu
Little Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:20 pm

dramaranger wrote:Now, whom do we pester to get Daimajin faced off with an enemy daikaiju?

I wouldn't mind them sneaking in a Gyaos or two... :wink:
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:45 pm

mechascorpio wrote:Yeah, I've been wondering about that myself! I would never have thought the director of AUDITION would do films (and TV, he did an episode of "Ultraman Maxx" I think) like this. Then again, Sam Raimi ended up doing Spider-man!

Two episodes of MAX, actually. Episode 15 - "Miracle of the 3rd Planet" - and episode 16 - "Who Am I?" - two of the best episodes in the series!

And by the way, so long as Ultraman's still around, you can hardly call this a "dry spell" for kaiju... :|

Still great news, though! :D
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby tylerpistol » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:53 pm

OOOOH! This has got serious potential to be totally amazing.

I actually like Miike's "normal" stuff better than his early films. I really enjoyed his two episodes of Ultraman Max. I'm very interested in how he handles Daimajin. I'm guessing it'll get a bit of a surreal treatment, which could work very well.
--------------------------------
tylerpistol
tylerpistol.livejournal.com
tyler.pistol at gmail.com
tylerpistol
Little Godzilla

Postby Danno » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:47 pm

I havent seen Yokai War yet, so right now I am neutral with this project. I loved the original movies however, so I am excited.
Danno
Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:53 pm

I'm suprised that many people seem to be acting suprised as if it's something that completely caught them off guard. I certainly didn't see it coming from a mile away by any chance mind you but I knew it was coming. I believe once Kadokawa announced their purchase of Daiei studios they said specifically they wanted to remake Daimajin. It was in a press release if I am not mistaken (along with the notion of a possible Godzilla vs Gamera confrontation). So it wasn't a matter of if it was going to happen but when.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby kamacuras » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:16 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote: I think with todays technology this should prove to be an interesting movie.KG

I wouldn't be too sure of that, because with today's "technology", chances are they'll end up using 100% CGI and screw everything up.

The SPFX work from the Daimajin series are some of the most impressive I've seen to date, next to Gamera 3, and both used suitanimation. If It aint broke, don't fix it!
Save the planet. Go green.
kamacuras
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:37 pm

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

I absoultely love the Maijin trilogy and I've been wishing for this ever since it was announced as a possibility. I've actually never seen a Miike film but it's great knowing this project is being helmed by such a reputable guy.

(I'll definetly get Yokai and Zebraman when they come out)
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby JordanGLC » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:19 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:And by the way, so long as Ultraman's still around, you can hardly call this a "dry spell" for kaiju... :|
Gee, thanks for the tip. I had no idea.

I think Ultraman is more in the forefront of a lot of people's consciousness because Toho is taking a break from Godzilla movies for awhile. I enjoy the Ultra stuff I have, and would buy more R1 releases if they were available... Which raises the question, "Why aren't they?" Certainly one would think Ultraman The Next would have been acquired by someone by now? Has no one approached Tsuburaya? Is their asking price too high? :dunno:

planetxleader wrote:
dramaranger wrote:Now, whom do we pester to get Daimajin faced off with an enemy daikaiju?
I wouldn't mind them sneaking in a Gyaos or two...
Nah, let's get the Kadokawa-Toho bridge built with a Majin-King Seesar smackdown! :Big-th-up:
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:30 pm

JordanGLC wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:And by the way, so long as Ultraman's still around, you can hardly call this a "dry spell" for kaiju... :|
Gee, thanks for the tip. I had no idea.

I think Ultraman is more in the forefront of a lot of people's consciousness because Toho is taking a break from Godzilla movies for awhile. I enjoy the Ultra stuff I have, and would buy more R1 releases if they were available... Which raises the question, "Why aren't they?" Certainly one would think Ultraman The Next would have been acquired by someone by now? Has no one approached Tsuburaya? Is their asking price too high? :dunno:

One word: Chaiyo.

Anyway, the reason I said that is because of all the remarks I've read like this:

Many thanks to Kadokawa for carrying the mantle during what alot of us assumed would be a dry era.

Oh... didn't actually realize you said that too! :lol:

Anyway, it's nothing against you but I have read statements similar to that from people who seem to believe that the End of Godzilla is the end of DaiKaiju Eiga as we know it! :?

On topic:

I wouldn't be too sure of that, because with today's "technology", chances are they'll end up using 100% CGI and screw everything up.

I really doubt this. From what I can tell, Japan seems perfectly fine with suitimation and traditional FX and Yokai War looks to have a TON of those... granted, the creatures were smaller but still...

Yay for DaiMajin Vs. King Caesar! :D :lol:
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Next

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!