The Host

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby rackmount » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:30 am

mechascorpio wrote:I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you when your favorite Admin (me) steps in and says: what personal attack? It's not even verging on a personal attack. Here's an example of something verging on a personal attack

No. It never surprises me when I see you give this "mouth" person free reign and special passes to be obnoxious and attack other members.
You know full well that If I posted a baiting message like that. You'd be all up in my face.
The cronyism isn't exactly transparent when you look through the various threads.
That's why you have such a bad reputation in the other Godzilla forums.
You let the kids run the show here.

Asking for fairness would be a waste of time.
But if I ask you to please tell someone baiting me to back off. It's your job as a moderator to do it. Even if he's your buddy.
I'm confident in your abilities that you are capable of doing that.
rackmount
Baby Godzilla

Postby Dogora » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:38 pm

rackmount wrote:
mechascorpio wrote:I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you when your favorite Admin (me) steps in and says: what personal attack? It's not even verging on a personal attack. Here's an example of something verging on a personal attack

No. It never surprises me when I see you give this "mouth" person free reign and special passes to be obnoxious and attack other members.
You know full well that If I posted a baiting message like that. You'd be all up in my face.
The cronyism isn't exactly transparent when you look through the various threads.
That's why you have such a bad reputation in the other Godzilla forums.
You let the kids run the show here.

Asking for fairness would be a waste of time.
But if I ask you to please tell someone baiting me to back off. It's your job as a moderator to do it. Even if he's your buddy.

:roll: Look who's talking. Mouth did nothing wrong.
Dogora
Little Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:48 pm

*yawn*

:kitty:

Anyway, so psyched to get this on DVD soon!! :D It comes out the day before my birthday, no less! Oo, and the last Potter book came out today too, didn't it? Cool!

I still hate the ending of this film, though... It's not a bad ending but... but... :cry:
Last edited by kiryugoji04 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:52 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:I still have the ending of this film, though... It's not a bad ending but... but... :cry:

Yeah, isn't it great? :D Almost as great as a certain scene that happened midway through Planet Terror in GRINDHOUSE.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:31 pm

Oops, that should be "hate"... XD

Because I do really HATE the ending.

Also, I never saw Grindhouse... ^^;;
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:04 pm

rackmount wrote:That's why you have such a bad reputation in the other Godzilla forums. You let the kids run the show here.

And here I thought it was because I was just a jerk. But you're right. I need to get tough, stop letting "the kids" run the show. I need to crack down on those who are just trolls who come in, stir crap up with other members here, drag things off topic, and obviously don't care whether they're banned or not. Despite the fact that I asked them nicely to cool it over a month ago. So in order to improve my reputation, I think I'll start now, with you.

I'm pretty sure that MouthForWar (I don't even know his name) is laughing his butt off at the concept of me being his buddy. Good one!

I appreciate that confidence. No, really. I encourage you to take that confidence to all those other forums where I am so reviled.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:38 pm

mechascorpio wrote:
rackmount wrote:

I'm pretty sure that MouthForWar (I don't even know his name) is laughing his butt off at the concept of me being his buddy. Good one!

Yeah, it is pretty funny, especially considering that you even gave me a temporary ban last year for being a (admitted) jackass... so for him to say we're good buddies with you giving me some sort of special treatment is hilarious.

Its like every time he sees a mod and a regular poster on this forum who have a mutual respect for one another, he thinks we're in some sort of cahoots... no dude, some people just aren't jerks to eachother all the time, that's all. And some people don't just come to the forums to badmouth the movies of which the forum is dedicated to and bash other members (that's what is called a "troll")... that's why he feels singled out all the time. I guess he'd feel better if we all bashed the movies and other fans relentlessly like he does.

LOL (I seriously am laughing out loud.) :lol:

Now, lets move back on topic, shall we.... TUESDAY, PEOPLE!
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Shonokin » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:19 am

Finally! I'll have to track Webster down and have him sign the disc for me :D
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby briizilla » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:01 am

I've been waiting forever to finally see this, I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Slightly OT but there are a lot of great releases in the next few weeks, Host, TMNT, 300....guess I might be broke for a while.... :)

Slightly more OT...the idea the mouth is somehow a bully on this board is comical. He's one of the more level headed guys that posts here and definately doesn't need to be protected by any of the mods.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:42 pm

briizilla wrote:I've been waiting forever to finally see this, I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Slightly OT but there are a lot of great releases in the next few weeks, Host, TMNT, 300....guess I might be broke for a while.... :)

Don't forget Hot Fuzz! :D
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby briizilla » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:57 am

MouthForWar wrote:
briizilla wrote:I've been waiting forever to finally see this, I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Don't forget Hot Fuzz! :D

Oh yeah!! :D
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby TheMaster » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:42 pm

Robert on a side note("rack" thing). Thats about as ovesensitive as it gets-ignore the silliness I say. You guys do pretty good. Selectively overreacting to a post to get someone spanked or banned is pretty petty.Sticks and stones can break my bones but negatively reviewing a film will never harm me!

Back to the topic-just saw the movie, and like usual I'm in the minority here-I thought it was incredibly over-rated. Should have known when they use Harry Knowles as a review on the cover(zero credibility). Now I didn't think it was bad by any means. It was kinda like a monster version of "Signs" w/ a little Michael Moore V fo Vendetta sensibility. The monster was very good and well done. The directing and characters were pretty good. But this was no Jaws(like the cover said)-more like a better done "Prophecy"(the monster one-not Chris Walken!) that couldda shaved 20 minutes off. And much better than your straight to video dreck they show on sci-fi. Just based on all the relentless praise I was a little "meh".

It is interesting that with films like "signs", "28 days later" or this one, you have your conventional B-movie genre staples being done a little more intellectually.(if that makes any sense.) :wink: :wink: :wink:
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Retro Rooster » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:49 am

I finally got to see it, great movie, it was awesome.
Retro Rooster
Little Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:48 am

I saw it on Wednesday night and thought I'd share some random thoughts....

All in all I was a little disappointed considering how much hype this movie received. I didn't go into it expecting a cool Godzilla-type monster, but something with a little personality would have been nice. And the monsters design was really off putting to me. What the hell is it supposed to be exactly? It just seemed way to busy.

I liked the human characters and the humor was pretty good as well. The second act really dragged however. The FX were good, not great. They looked especially fakey at the end when the critter was on fire.

All things considered its definately better then any monster movies produced in the states in the last 20 years, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a classic of the kaiju genre.

C+
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:38 pm

Just got the 2-disc DVD. I'm a happy camper. :)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby ultramanmax » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:41 pm

briizilla wrote:I saw it on Wednesday night and thought I'd share some random thoughts....

All in all I was a little disappointed considering how much hype this movie received. I didn't go into it expecting a cool Godzilla-type monster, but something with a little personality would have been nice. And the monsters design was really off putting to me. What the hell is it supposed to be exactly? It just seemed way to busy.

I liked the human characters and the humor was pretty good as well. The second act really dragged however. The FX were good, not great. They looked especially fakey at the end when the critter was on fire.

All things considered its definately better then any monster movies produced in the states in the last 20 years, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a classic of the kaiju genre.

C+

I agree with that. Just finished watching it and, well maybe it's the kind of flick you need to see more than once to appreciate it. Honestly though, it'll be awhile before I'll be willing to sit through it again.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters. It's the size of the fight in the dog!!
ultramanmax
Baby Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:04 am

Man, I wish I had the money for these discs (and many others!). Only reason I got Deathly Hallows first is because I know how annoying some people are when it comes to spoilers, and the Potter books are one of the few things I insist on going into spoiler-free.

I <3 The Host, despite the ending!
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby swfreakjpb » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:20 am

May contain spoilers

I just got the DVD and watched it. WOW!!!! That was different. Very refreshing. It totally re affirmed my love of Asian Fantasy Films. I give it a strong 7 or 8. It was cool because the characters were just everyday people sort of.
I wish there were more scary parts. the only part that I found scary was the part were she tries to climb up and we then notice that she stopped because it grabbed her.

I just have a few things that I did not understand or have a problem with. Maybe someone can explain them.

1. The whole virus plot went on to long and became a distraction. What was the point of it, if there really was no virus. Was it a Military cover up plot to take attention away from the monster and contain the witnesses? Why were they spraying stuff if there was no virus?

2. There was one scene that made me go HUH!!!!!!!!!! And I re watched it over and over. It had no explanation. Maybe I was seeing things. Everyone was back home eating and then the girl was back in the sewer pit. I know I saw her in the scene with everyone. I am assuming that the director wanted to show how hungry she was by showing her dreaming or imagining herself eating with her family back home. Is this the case?

3. Who were the people at the end of the film in the snack shack, the man and boy? Was it the same people, the father with his hair natural color and little homeless boy or were they different. What was going on there, what was the purpose of the scene? Did I miss something here.

4. Why did the monster eat or kill everyone except for the girl and the boy. At first I thought that It was collecting some for later and putting them in the sewer pit but everyone it dropped off were killed already. Why did it not kill the girl or the little boy. Why did it not eat her all that time. Was she to small too eat or was it keeping them as pets?

5. Did they all really live in a snack shack down by the river, that was there house?

As for the HOST getting a remake over here, I do not see the point. Are there still that many people out there like my Mom who think of any movie made in Japan or Asia as garbage and not worth any consideration. Are we still that ignorant. A part of the reason why I enjoy these types of films and why I have grown to love them even more as I grew up, is that they are made by people and are about people in another place with a different culture who may look at things and react different to them because of that. That was major run on. Anyway, take that film and put it in the US and its another monster film. Its not the Host anymore. They should just release it as is, but the over all theater going audience are to closed minded and will not go to see it.

It may be considered a Kaiju film only because it does have a monster in it. Other then that it lacks every other ingredient. I would not put it in the same category.
Joined in 1997

"Godzilla doesn't give a crap about France" (Tom Green)

Where's a Giant Monster when you need one?
swfreakjpb
Godzilla

Postby dIsCoMbObuLaTor » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:11 am

swfreakjpb wrote:May contain spoilers

I just got the DVD and watched it. WOW!!!! That was different. Very refreshing. It totally re affirmed my love of Asian Fantasy Films. I give it a strong 7 or 8. It was cool because the characters were just everyday people sort of.
I wish there were more scary parts. the only part that I found scary was the part were she tries to climb up and we then notice that she stopped because it grabbed her.

I just have a few things that I did not understand or have a problem with. Maybe someone can explain them.

1. The whole virus plot went on to long and became a distraction. What was the point of it, if there really was no virus. Was it a Military cover up plot to take attention away from the monster and contain the witnesses? Why were they spraying stuff if there was no virus?

2. There was one scene that made me go HUH!!!!!!!!!! And I re watched it over and over. It had no explanation. Maybe I was seeing things. Everyone was back home eating and then the girl was back in the sewer pit. I know I saw her in the scene with everyone. I am assuming that the director wanted to show how hungry she was by showing her dreaming or imagining herself eating with her family back home. Is this the case?

3. Who were the people at the end of the film in the snack shack, the man and boy? Was it the same people, the father with his hair natural color and little homeless boy or were they different. What was going on there, what was the purpose of the scene? Did I miss something here.

4. Why did the monster eat or kill everyone except for the girl and the boy. At first I thought that It was collecting some for later and putting them in the sewer pit but everyone it dropped off were killed already. Why did it not kill the girl or the little boy. Why did it not eat her all that time. Was she to small too eat or was it keeping them as pets?

5. Did they all really live in a snack shack down by the river, that was there house?

As for the HOST getting a remake over here, I do not see the point. Are there still that many people out there like my Mom who think of any movie made in Japan or Asia as garbage and not worth any consideration. Are we still that ignorant. A part of the reason why I enjoy these types of films and why I have grown to love them even more as I grew up, is that they are made by people and are about people in another place with a different culture who may look at things and react different to them because of that. That was major run on. Anyway, take that film and put it in the US and its another monster film. Its not the Host anymore. They should just release it as is, but the over all theater going audience are to closed minded and will not go to see it.

It may be considered a Kaiju film only because it does have a monster in it. Other then that it lacks every other ingredient. I would not put it in the same category.

Alright here goes, I'll try to answer all your questions lol....

1.) I think the whole Virus plot was mostly a cover-up. The government thought they had a virus on their hands. But it actually turned out that they couldn't find a virus on anyone. So rather than saying that there was no virus, they continued to act like their was and to everyone except for the higher ups, the virus was still very real.

2.) That scene I think was mostly to show how much her family missed her. Her father seemed to me to be the only one to really notice, and it was probably because he was wishing she was sitting at the table eating with them.

3.) The two people at the end are not different people, lol. Yes, that is the main character and the little boy that he found with his daughter inside the creature. It was basically showing that they had moved on with their lives and that he had taken in the little boy as his own.

4.) It's hard to say really. I got the impression that at times the creatures tail had a mind of it's own. So maybe she was just snatched up while the creature was retreating to the water. As a result she found herself in the "lair" and hid in the pipe to keep the creature from seeing her when it returned. Or maybe it was that he was keeping her as a pet or something.

5.) Yes, The grandpa, the main character and his daughter lived togther in that food stand. It wasn't that small. After-all many houses in Japan and other Asian countries are very compact in size.

So that about does it...

As far as what I think of the film. I loved every minute of it. The ending was somewhat depressing, but at the same time happy. It was a great monster flick, not exactly what I would call Kaiju though.

One thing I really liked about the movie was that the characters were very memorable to me. Even though I don't really know their names well cause they are Korean lol XD. Some parts were pretty suspenseful and others just plain funny. All in all I give it a strong 8 outta 10.

(btw, if you haven't watched it yet. Korean with Eng Subtitles is the only way too watch it.)
dIsCoMbObuLaTor
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:02 am

swfreakjpb wrote:1. The whole virus plot went on to long and became a distraction. What was the point of it, if there really was no virus. Was it a Military cover up plot to take attention away from the monster and contain the witnesses? Why were they spraying stuff if there was no virus?

The virus thing was a hoax that the US government made up so they would have an excuse to use chemical weapons on the monster (Agent Yellow).

Heh, sound familiar?

swfreakjpb wrote:4. Why did the monster eat or kill everyone except for the girl and the boy. At first I thought that It was collecting some for later and putting them in the sewer pit but everyone it dropped off were killed already. Why did it not kill the girl or the little boy. Why did it not eat her all that time. Was she to small too eat or was it keeping them as pets?

I took it as though the monster just snatched up people and took them to its lair, not really making a point to kill them as it did so. For most of its victims, it seemed to kill them when it caught them (i.e. breaking their necks or whatever), but Hyun-seo and the boy were lucky that they weren't killed right away.

One way or another, the monster brought all of those people to its lair so it could save them to eat later, dead or alive.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:53 am

swfreakjpb wrote:May contain spoilers

No offense, but it seems like the political messages in this movie went over your head. The guys above me answered your questions, so there really isn't anything to add, but I think you should watch the movie again and maybe you'll understand it better (it IS a movie that may require more than one viewing for people to understand).

The whole "there was no virus in the first place" thing is pretty much the whole point of the film. The Host, like Gojira in 1954 really isn't a monster movie. The politics take front and center here. After that, its a touching story of a family bonding in a time of crisis, and finally, third off, its a monster film.

And by the way, I agree that this movie really isn't a kaiju film in the slightest. The monster scenes and the creature itself fits in better with stuff like Jaws, Alien, etc. But regardless, kaiju or not, its still one of the best monster movies of the millenium. 8-)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby TheMaster » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:32 am

^I think the political message takes front and center if you look at the world through "political colored glasses". Theres some strong political jabs in the film, and the filmmaker even reinforces that-but its more of a character drama-with a monster.(The director says he was inspired by Signs for example, in that you have a typical sci-fi drama focussing on the family more than the fx.) And both were inspired by real US caused disasters-but lets face it, they're well done genre films. Just like 28 weeks later had Iraq war-like analogies but was still a zombie type film.
I watched the film again and still think its hardly Jaws or best monster movie of the millenium. Good film, but I think the US jabs give it an edge in some reviewers minds(certainly in your average crappy alternative papers).
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kpa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:50 pm

On the new 2-Disc DVD there's a great featurette that explains events in THE HOST from the creature's pov. I can't recall seeing anything like this before, and I really liked it. The featurette should answer swfreakjpb's 4th question.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:42 pm

TheMaster wrote:I watched the film again and still think its hardly Jaws or best monster movie of the millenium.

Well, honestly most of the monster movies this millennium haven't been all that impressive (cept maybe Kong 06 or GMK).

Besides the Host is a true original. Its a genre bender and that's what makes it so great. Its a monster/comedy/horror with messages about politics and the meaning of family. In my opinion, that's what makes it one of the best of this millennium so far, IT WAS FRESH AND DIFFERENT. All the other monster flicks to come out lately have been rip offs or remakes (and that includes most of the recent Godzilla series, which were all basically remakes of other G movies).

The Host is a new kind of monster movie. It really isn't like anything that's come before it. That's why I love it. And when I say the politics take front and center, I'm not trying to say the monster isn't important or anything.

The Host is more like a George Romero movie, the politics and the unity of the family are the real meat of the story but its told as a story about a monster.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby TheMaster » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:26 am

^ Actually I think the Romero comparison is pretty good Mouth.
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!