The Host

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Flame of Udin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:29 pm

I guess after starting this thread I felt it was about time to see the film.

and the verdict....believe the hype, this film was superb! :D
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby tylerpistol » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:57 pm

My copy shipped from YesAsia today, and I don't regret making a blind purchase. I ordered the 3 disc limited edition, and it's quite the nice looking set. It's got a silver embossed slipcase, and all packaging and disc labels all look really cool. As for the feature itself, I haven't had a chance to watch it but it's been given a really nice transfer and the English subs look good.

Can't wait to watch this movie since I've heard so many good things about it! Maybe tomorrow night.
--------------------------------
tylerpistol
tylerpistol.livejournal.com
tyler.pistol at gmail.com
tylerpistol
Little Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:20 pm

Yep, it's a fantastic set alright. (the storyboards look very nice) From what I've seen so far, it looks very cool indeed, with the only downside being that the discs came loose in the mail. Now I've got a very spiffy-looking set with some scratched dvds. :(
But still, they seem to play well enough. I'll know the full extent of the damage when I watch the rest of the flick tonight.
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby tylerpistol » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:27 am

I highly recommend "the Host" to anyone who is the slightest bit curious. Not only is it an amazing effects film, it's got a story, too! What a novel idea. I was seriously digging that creature design.

I'd love to see Toho tackle a movie like this instead of the usual giant monster fare they treat us to (which is still highly enjoyable).
--------------------------------
tylerpistol
tylerpistol.livejournal.com
tyler.pistol at gmail.com
tylerpistol
Little Godzilla

Postby kpa » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:38 pm

JordanGLC wrote:There's a new US trailer. You can download it from comingsoon.net.

Focuses more on the characters rather than the creature, but worth a look. This will be showing in the Bay Area in March. Time for a little road trip.

Chris, it's opening at the Tower Theatre in Sacramento on March 23 so you can save yourself a trip to SF.

On a related note, SciFi Japan now has the two US theatrical trailers for THE HOST plus a list of theaters showing the film in March and April. Check if it's playing near you at:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007 ... t-trailer/
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:02 pm

kpa wrote:On a related note, SciFi Japan now has the two US theatrical trailers for THE HOST plus a list of theaters showing the film in March and April. Check if it's playing near you at:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007 ... t-trailer/

Oh hell yeah. I'm totally catching this in Raleigh on March 23rd.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:18 pm

ATHENS SHOWING IN APRIL! HOTCHA!!!

Now to beg my friend to come with me, since she goes to UGA...
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mechaghidrah » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:57 pm

I just got to see the film (liked it...didn't love it) and the reason critics are wetting themselves over it are the blatant anti-USA plot points in the film.

American critics like nothing better than a movie bashing their own country.
mechaghidrah
Little Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:04 pm

mechaghidrah wrote:I just got to see the film (liked it...didn't love it) and the reason critics are wetting themselves over it are the blatant anti-American plot points in the film.

:lol:

You're a republican, aren't you?
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby JimPV » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:19 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:ATHENS SHOWING IN APRIL! HOTCHA!!!

Now to beg my friend to come with me, since she goes to UGA...

Speaking of which, I'm hoping to make it to the Athens showing, too. But I'm wondering: is it only showing on April the 13th, or is it starting on that day? Keith, maybe you can answer this.
JimPV
Godzilla

Postby mechaghidrah » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:47 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:
mechaghidrah wrote:I just got to see the film (liked it...didn't love it) and the reason critics are wetting themselves over it are the blatant anti-American plot points in the film.

Let's see...I'm a registered Independent and in Presidential elections, I've voted for
Carter
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush

So I'm not exactly partisan, but can recognize anti-American propaganda when I see it. And I kind of liked the movie, but the "evil USA" viewpoint was beat-over-the-head obvious.
mechaghidrah
Little Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:36 am

mechaghidrah wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:

Let's see...I'm a registered Independent and in Presidential elections, I've voted for
Carter
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush

So I'm not exactly partisan, but can recognize anti-American propaganda when I see it. And I kind of liked the movie, but the "evil USA" viewpoint was beat-over-the-head obvious.

Get over it, its a monster movie.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:41 am

He was just stating what he didn't like about the movie, and it's a legitimate reason...so lighten up guys. We all have our opinions.

Personally, I can't wait to see the film...anxiously awaiting it's arrival in Portland (hopefully!)
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Danno » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:05 pm

How come VERMONT gets this movie but NH doesn't? I refuse to go see something in Boston, due to my own reasons.
Danno
Godzilla

Postby kpa » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:23 pm

mechaghidrah wrote:I just got to see the film (liked it...didn't love it) and the reason critics are wetting themselves over it are the blatant anti-USA plot points in the film.

I think the reason critics all around the world (not just the US) are raving about THE HOST is that it's a good movie. Having the US be the cause of a monster appearing isn't exactly a new idea... it's the basis for countless American (THEM!, TARANTULA, AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN, etc) and Japanese (starting with GODZILLA) monster movies. Like GODZILLA, the beginning of THE HOST was inspired by a real event. In 2000, the staff members of a US military morgue were arrested for dumping hundreds of bottles of formaldehyde into the Han River. The incident sparked a huge outcry in Korea, and it's still a hot button topic there. One major theme in THE HOST is that you can't trust anyone, so the Americans, the Korean government and the Korean people are all targeted by the filmmakers.

JimPV wrote:Speaking of which, I'm hoping to make it to the Athens showing, too. But I'm wondering: is it only showing on April the 13th, or is it starting on that day? Keith, maybe you can answer this.

Those are the starting dates, Jim. Obviously how long THE HOST plays will depend on how long it was booked by a particular theater, but they should all be multiple screenings over several days.

Danno wrote:How come VERMONT gets this movie but NH doesn't? I refuse to go see something in Boston, due to my own reasons.

It's playing in Vermont because the The Palace 9 Theatre booked it.

I never said the theater list I posted on SciFi Japan would be the only places to show THE HOST. This is a theatrical run that will take place over a few months and Magnolia Pictures will keep adding new dates and locations. As a matter of fact, I just updated the list on SFJ with a bunch of new theaters... including the Colonial Keene in NH.

The latest theater schedule is online at: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007 ... t-trailer/
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Danno » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:32 am

I was looking at the main sites page, thats why I didn't see NH.
Danno
Godzilla

Postby JimPV » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:22 am

Cool! It's now coming to:

Atlanta, GA: Midtown Art Cinemas 8
Chamblee, GA: Hollywood 24 @ N. I-85

starting March 9th. Those are much better options than making the trek to Athens.

Thanks, Keith! :)

Oh, one more question: this is gonna' be subtitled, right?
JimPV
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:49 am

Oooo, nice...

But I think I'll head to Athens myself, so I can also visit with my friend who lives there. (Plus I'm roughly in between both areas)

Where're you at, Jim? If you don't mind my asking...
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kpa » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:07 pm

JimPV wrote:Cool! It's now coming to:

Atlanta, GA: Midtown Art Cinemas 8
Chamblee, GA: Hollywood 24 @ N. I-85

starting March 9th. Those are much better options than making the trek to Athens.

Thanks, Keith! :)

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Oh, one more question: this is gonna' be subtitled, right?

As far as I know. The print shown at AFI Fest opened with the Magnolia Pictures logo and was in Korean with English subtitles.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby kpa » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:20 pm

For any New Yorkers, the IFC Center is hosting a great HOST-themed event on Monday and Tuesday:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007 ... -new-york/
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby walshbeme » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:26 pm

Premiere mag just gave the film ***1/2 stars and did not have one negative comment about it.
walshbeme

Postby Stargodzilla » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:02 pm

I just seen Preveiws on the tv it looked awesome! But Alas its not showing in West Virginia. =( Damn this crumy state!
"Hmpph...Hey you...I heard...your kung-fu...is pretty good."-Greatest Movie Qoute Ever!!
Stargodzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Now that its getting a pretty wide release everywhere with ads on TV, I wonder if they are still gonna go through with the remake.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:26 pm

Probably. :puke:
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kpa » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:18 am

I just got back from a press screening. The movie still kicks ass. :D
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

PreviousNext

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!