The Host

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

The Host

Postby Flame of Udin » Thu May 11, 2006 3:02 am

South Korea's extremely ambitious monster flick will be hitting the Cannes Film Festivel this year. and when I say ambitious take a look at the credited FX team and you will see what I mean ( http://tinyurl.com/mcttu )!

From what I got from IMDB is that the creature emerges from Seoul's Han River and wrecks havoc.

There is a Flash promo for the film located at http://www.thehost.co.kr/ although it does not show any monster footage.

Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Re: The Host

Postby JimPV » Thu May 11, 2006 5:25 pm

Flame of Udin wrote:There is a Flash promo for the film located at http://www.thehost.co.kr/ although it does not show any monster footage.

Why am I only getting sound but no picture with that promo? I can also click on the bottom and forward through some head shots of the actors/actresses, but that's it.

Anyway, this sounds interesting. With Toho putting Godzilla in mothballs, seems other countries and studios are stepping forward to fill the - if not kaiju proper, at least giant monster - void.
JimPV
Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Fri May 26, 2006 3:23 am

Following it's screening at Cannes, The Host has been picked up for U.S. distrubution by Magnolia Pictures. Follow the link below for a 1 minute preview of the monster's rampage.

http://younggu-art.com/bbs/data/bbs/thehost.wmv

I also forgot to add that the effects are done by Weta, the Orphanage, and Creature Workshop.

Variety review:
"On almost every level, there's never quite been a monster movie like "The Host." Egregiously subverting its own genre while still delivering shocks at a pure genre level, and marbled with straight-faced character humor that constantly throws the viewer off balance, much-hyped big-budgeter about a huge mutant tadpole that emerges from Seoul's Han River is a bold gamble that looks headed to instant cult status. Broader bizbiz, especially beyond East Asia, will depend heavily on reaction to its world preempreem in Directors Fortnight, and some re-editing would better equip it for specialty distribution in the West.
Film is set for a wide, late July release in South Korea, followed by an early September roll-out in Japan, which provided almost half of the reported $10 million coincoin (huge in local terms). Helmer Bong Joon-ho ("Barking Dogs Never Bite," "Memories of Murder") has not ruled out some tweaking in the meantime. Reaction at its gala midnight screening on Sunday, heavily populated by Asiaphiles, was a mixture of admiration and discombobulation.

Beyond all the fancy visual effects -- way above the rocky level of recent Asian fantasies like "The Myth" and "The Promise" -- in tone the picture falls somewhere between the social parable of "Dogs" and the character-driven, offbeat drama of "Memories."

Pic, which is not even in widescreen, will be best appreciated by auds who just go with the quirky flow rather than expect regulated, U.S.-style thrills. In its mix of genre-bending, political asides and character emphasis, there are strong parallels with Larry CohenLarry Cohen's 1982 cult classic, "Q: The Winged Serpent."

Prologue, set six years ago at the U.S. Army Base in Yonsan, Seoul, has a South Korean flunky ordered by his Yank boss to empty gallons of aging formaldehyde into the sink -- and therefore straight into the Han River, which flows through the capital. Clearly ludicrous English-language scene (which would benefit from revoicing) signals Bong's lack of interest in making a science-heavy blockbuster -- there's little emphasis on the usual government-military paraphernalia of such movies.Cut to October '06 and locals are enjoying a day out on the banks of the river. Among them are convenience stall owner Park Heui-bong (Byeon Heui-bong), his idle doofus son, Gang-du (Song Gang-ho, the cop in "Murder"), and the latter's daughter, young high-schooler Hyeon-seo (Ko A-sung).

When something is spotted hanging beneath one of the bridges and then sliding into the river, the locals pelt it with cans and snacks. But, Gang-du and Hyeon-seo are more interested in watching the televised National Archery Championships, in which her young aunt, Nam-ju (Bae Du-na, lead in "Dogs"), is competing.

First appearance of the monster is aces, catching the viewer off guard after a slow build-up. Combo of visceral energy and offbeat humor, plus Lee Byeong-woo's pounding drum music, is impressive, and as the creature finally scoops up Hyeon-su with its tail and swims off,the stage is set.

When the Park family assembles later at a funeral parlor, pic again throws the viewer as their grief turns to physical in-fighting, with Gang-du's younger brother, jobless graduate Nam-il (Park Hae-il), blaming Gang-du for Hyeon-su's death.

The government claims the creature is host to a horrifying, unknown virus and fumigates the area. Following the death of a Yank soldier, the U.S. military decides on "direct intervention" by using a secret chemical weapon, Agent Yellow. Meanwhile, Gang-du & Co., convinced by a cell phone call that Hyeon-su is still alive, escape the government quarantine and hunt down her and the creature. Script's political content is more occasional barbs than a fully developed subtext. Bong maintains the focus on the Park family, with Gang-du lumbering through the drama with assists from onetime student revolutionary Nam-il and expert archer Nam-ju. Problematic central section could do with 15 minutes of tightening. Final half-hour, however, is aces as all the threads connect, with no simple heroes and a kind of sad, messy triumph, plus a barbed coda.

Perfs are more than fine with especial kudos to Ko as the plucky Hyeon-seo, local star Song as the working-class slob, and Bae as the sportswoman.

Visual f/xf/x, supervised by Kevin Rafferty ("Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace") and largely done by San Francisco-based The Orphanage, are a slick meld of CGI and animation, while always reminding the audience that, at the end of the day, the creature is only a movie monster. "
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kpa » Fri May 26, 2006 9:09 pm

Twitch has video clips, including some nice shots of the monster.

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/006324.html#comments
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Elliot Gay » Fri May 26, 2006 9:47 pm

Mm, looks to be quite good. It's been getting great reviews and word of mouth since the Cannes festival
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat May 27, 2006 11:37 pm

looks awesome, cant wait to see it
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:03 am

Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:04 pm

I just hope the movie is as cool as the trailer
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Just saw on TV yesterday that they're working on an American remake of this and a deal should be reached by fall :?
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Elliot Gay » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:32 pm

Hasn't even been released in many places yet too...
Geez.
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:27 am

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:Just saw on TV yesterday that they're working on an American remake of this and a deal should be reached by fall :?

:x I've... had... ENOUGH
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Enshohma » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:37 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:Just saw on TV yesterday that they're working on an American remake of this and a deal should be reached by fall :?

Is the US public that unwilling to see any non martial arts film from Asia and shot-per-shot remakes with 'big name' Hollywood stars that important? I hope we still at least see the original film first before its US remake...givin of course if the news is accurate...calming down.

Guess All of the Above Monsters' Names and Respective Places of Origin and Win a Prize!
Enshohma
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Garasharp K7 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:31 pm

Wait a sec, the film's not out long and they're already planning a remake? Good grief.

That sounds a bit like a gag from 'Spaceballs' - the film's being remade before the original's even been released.

Cool trailer, though.
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby Danno » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:09 pm

Enshohma wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:

Is the US public that unwilling to see any non martial arts film from Asia and shot-per-shot remakes with 'big name' Hollywood stars that important? I hope we still at least see the original film first before its US remake...givin of course if the news is accurate...calming down.

Yes, the audience outside of our forum will not tolerate anything. Just walk up to anybody and ask them what they think of this movie. They will probably do a bad dubbing impression and squint their eyes. I've put up with it for years and now I just grow to accept it. I bet Higuchi's movie will be remade as well. It bothers all of us. Thats how US cinema works, they find a good idea, and run with it so they get recognition for it. Nobody will even know it was an Asian remake.

Which after watching the trailer, watching normal people and not known actors fight a monster by themselves seems very entertaining to me. This really kind of pisses me off, but thats how America works.

But ya, I hate it, we all hate it and I don't think a single movie studio cares the way we do. "If it is not a house hold name IE Godzilla/Jet-Li it wont get released state side."
Danno
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:22 pm

Its going a little too far when we are remaking movies that aren't even out yet in their foreign homelands
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby mechakira » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:47 pm

*Spoiler*

Here's a link to what the creature looks like...

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_cus ... ry_id=3678
--Akira
-------------------------------------------------
mechakira
Little Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:09 pm

mechakira wrote:*Spoiler*

What a strange design... the closest monster I can think of is that one from the movie The Relic. Odd combination of traits from many different creatures.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby mechakira » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:52 pm

metal_bryan wrote:
mechakira wrote:*Spoiler*

What a strange design... the closest monster I can think of is that one from the movie The Relic. Odd combination of traits from many different creatures.

I agree, combine that with the stop-motion fish from Piranha II.
--Akira
-------------------------------------------------
mechakira
Little Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:08 am

And here are some more pictures to the monster including concept art and some stills from the movie!

http://blog.cine21.com/bluehappygirl/39164
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Klownzilla » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:03 pm

Nice design! It looks like a take on that Piranhadon that got cut from PJ's King Kong.
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Elliot Gay » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:40 pm

This has totally been destroying the Korean box office I heard. In less than thirty days, it's made more money than like, the highest grossing film of all time over there.

Intense.
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Klownzilla » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:01 am

I just got back from seeing this at the Chicago Film Fest and needless to say, it kicked ass! It's one of the most solid monster movies I've seen in a while, especially with its primary focus being on the family turmoil through much of the plot. You get a great assortment of likeable characters and some intense drama. The creature is one that you loathe, yet how it came to be is no fault of its own. This is one time that I actually dig the CGI. It actually works in giving the beast a scary fluidity and menace as it goes from lumbering to graceful.

It's a damn shame that the inevitable Hollywood remake was announced a while back. Hopefully this gets a decent US release so people can see the real deal before it gets its ugly makeover.
Klownzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:29 pm

If anyone goes to blockbuster and has nothing to rent, rend 'Dead Man's Shoes' because there is a US teaser trailer for The Host before the film (and the film isn't too bad either).
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:38 pm

The movie is being released on R3 in HK on December 1...with english subtitles :wink:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1004526358/
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby JimPV » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:25 pm

Flame of Udin wrote:The movie is being released on R3 in HK on December 1...with english subtitles :wink:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1004526358/

Cool. Thanks Flame of Udin.

Now to only decide whether to get this or wait for the (if it's getting a American remake) inevitable R1 release.
JimPV
Godzilla

Next

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!