Favorite Godzilla Reboot

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Which of these Godzilla series reboots is your favorite?

The Return of Godzilla (1984) - Toho
11%
Godzilla (1998) - TriStar
No votes
Godzilla 2000 (1999) - Toho
33%
Godzilla (2014) - Legendary
33%
Shin Godzilla (2016) - Toho
22%

Total votes : 9

Favorite Godzilla Reboot

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:04 am

Ever since the first series of Godzilla films concluded in 1975, Toho and other studios have produced various attempts to reboot the character. Some of these efforts to kick off a new cycle of films were successful while others didn't pan out or simply haven't panned out yet.

Toho produced The Return of Godzilla in 1984, launching what became known as the Heisei Series of films.

TriStar put out their Godzilla in 1998, which didn't lead to any sequels but did spawn a hit animated TV series.

Toho responded with Godzilla 2000 in 1999, kicking off the Millennium Series of films.

Legendary released Godzilla in 2014, with two sequels planned for 2019 and 2020, the latter to be a crossover with their upcoming take on Kong.

Finally, Toho just unleashed Shin Godzilla in 2016, with the franchise's first animated movie planned to follow next year.

Which of these Godzilla series reboots is your personal favorite? What do you think of the various attempts at reimagining Godzilla for a new generation over the last 32 years?

Note: I understand that every movie in the Millennium Series besides Tokyo SOS is technically just as much of a continuity reboot as Godzilla 2000 but that's not what this thread is about. This poll is specifically for the films that were made to launch a new cycle of Godzilla movies by the studios that made them. That also makes these not coincidentally the most recent entries to get theatrical releases in North America.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Favorite Godzilla Reboot

Postby lhb412 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:52 am

This is very hard because I'm having difficulty seperating quality of the film from the effectiveness as a reboot. I liked Shin Godzilla more, but I'm at a loss for how it'll be continued from. Meanwhile, I think Godzilla '14 was an effectively sleek reboot to reintroduce the concept of Godzilla and Godzilla movies (with a world of giant monsters that'll come to light and oppose Godzilla) to the public - add the fact that they're using my preferred Godzilla ('60s take) as the template suits me just fine!

... but if I was Japanese I'd undoubtably say Shin Godzilla, because it takes the uniquely Japanese franchise and reclaims it as being very, very Japanese.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Favorite Godzilla Reboot

Postby DannyBeane » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:15 pm

G2k. It felt like a 60s film to me. Solid characters and decent spfx.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Return to Godzilla Films In General