[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Godzilla's 60th in retrospect • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Godzilla's 60th in retrospect

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla's 60th in retrospect

Postby lhb412 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:27 am

The announcement of a new Toho Godzilla film puts pretty much the biggest exclamation point possible at the end of this anniversary year, and could it have been a better year for the property?

- A new, major Hollywood feature film that (unlike in '98) actually featured a Godzilla that acted and looked like Godzilla
- Sequels to said Hollywood film announced along with a kaiju roster of Mothra, Ghidorah, and Rodan.
- New Japanese Godzilla film announced
- Plenty of toys, apparel, books, and various other merch spun-off from the new film and the Toho series
- Many (most?) Godzilla films rereleased on Blu-Ray
- Godzilla 1998 skewered by Rifftrax in theaters nationwide
- Godzilla 1954 had another run on the arthouse circuit via Rialto Pictures

The best part for me was seeing Godzilla '54 in the theater and then seeing Godzilla '14 for the first time a week later.

Everyone else enjoy the festivities? Any hopes for the 70th?
:wink:
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Godzilla's 60th in retrospect

Postby Jorzilla » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:10 am

Not only did I get to see Godzilla 1954 and then Godzilla 2014 within a couple weeks (in Seattle), but SIFF actually did a mini-Godzilla festival that I didn't realize was happening. I got to see GMK on the big screen for the first time with a theater full of local fans.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:40 am

Oddly enough, I saw more Godzilla films in theaters LAST year, during the lead-up to PacRim than this year, the year of a new Godzilla movie...

Not that I'm complaining, it's just that to me personally, I think the blu-rays have been the most exciting thing for Godzilla for me this year aside from the Legendary film.
There are still quite a few NOT on blu-ray yet, but if I were to list the third-most-exciting thing, it'd be that I'm still able to be hopeful we will see them eventually, given the newfound popularity (even if it isn't QUITE as massive as I'd personally prefer) of Godzilla.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:55 am

I've had a blast. Personally I marathoned every film/every cut of every film that I had/all of the tv shows/re-read the comics, books/replayed the games up to the release of the new movie. Although that kind of led to my feeling really burned out on the fandom/franchise for a few months.
I only have a few of the new blu-rays as of yet, but I've bought plenty of the new merchandise. I love not having to import from Japan to get Godzilla stuff. (Although I did import Godzilla Eggs and the two new vinyl figures)

The biggest highlight was G-Fest this year. The Ifukube concert was AMAZING. I also got to hang out with a ton of people I've met through various parts of the fandom online. It was such a great experience that it cemented my going again in 2015 (I usually take a break every so often).

This last announcement is kind of an amazing way to finish off the year. I'm also hoping for some more Godzilla things for Christmas.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:18 am

The best part for me is that Godzilla feels legitimately topical and popular now. You can mention him and people will instantly know the face and not just the general "green lizard" concept. People are talking about the 2014 movie (good or bad), people are re-discovering the old ones. I was perusing some forums and was surprised at the amount of positive discussion about the old Godzilla movies, people even asking for pointers on where to start and glowing about their favorites from what they have seen. The fact that we're getting a new game that heavily references canon (the monster depictions are spot-on, right down to the sound effects), just tickles me.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:12 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:24 pm

I think we owe a lot of our thanks to the internet as well.

Thanks, internet! :)
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:20 am

Godzilla's 50th was the bigger year for me. That's when I did G-TOUR, Godzillafest, and the GFW premiere in Hollywood. After that, I was jokingly quoting Mr. Tako -- "I'm sick of Godzilla!"

Financial times were better for me then. This year I got to see the Legendary film twice, the first time at a drive-in with my cousins, the first time I went to a drive-in since the original "Star Wars". And the Rifftrax presentation of GINO for what that's worth.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:42 am

I was just thinking yesterday about how this year was one of the best years ever to be a Godzilla fan, at least in North America. ^_^
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:29 am

You can thank a dose of "hero" G for that!
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:59 am

Godzilla is kind of popular in my neck of the woods of Miami. I blame my brother (a teacher).

But I also blame kind of the... love of dinosaurs that often goes to the route of Godzilla. With a new movie out this year, and one where Godzilla came out the hero it'll be bound to happen.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:12 pm

I gotta say, in a year where it seemed like every time you turned on the TV or opened the internet there was some fresh tragedy I appreciated some cheering up from Godzilla, old friend that he is.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Godzilla Films In General