[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Special Effects Directors: Who Is The Best? Their Best Work? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Special Effects Directors: Who Is The Best? Their Best Work?

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Special Effects Directors: Who Is The Best? Their Best Work?

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Yo so... that's it (._. ).

Gonna start out here with Teruyushi Nakano. Love the man's works, he's truly at his best when he actually has a budget. His miniature work in Submersion of Japan, High Seas Hijack, and Return Of Godzilla are probably the best I've ever seen in Japanese tokusatsu productions. I don't think a lot of today's traditional tokusatsu productions can match it. Oh and he LOVES EXPLOSIONS. Tons of them. I thought his most impressive miniature work was in Return Of Godzilla. The Shinjuku district looked pretty damn good. Lifelike. And he did a decent job with the composite shots whenever he did have the money.

Hmm... my second favorite would be Yuichi Kikuchi actually. I really liked his work in the two Kiryu films. The composite shots were surprisingly well blended for the most part, and I really liked the miniature work in both films.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Re: Special Effects Directors: Who Is The Best? Their Best W

Postby eabaker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Well, Tsuburaya is obviously a pioneer and a giant in the field, and was breaking so much ground that it's unfair tot ry to compare his work 1:1 with that of the effects directors who followed him.

I am a big fan of Sadamasa Arikawa. I'm a sucker for a well-composed shot, and his experience as a cinematographer served him very well when he took over effects direction. Simply taken as still images, I'd say he's responsible for many of the best looking frames the genre ever produced. I suppose I'd single out Son of Godzilla for praise, as the compositions are beautiful, the monsters display a lot of personality, the various wire-works creatures come off as very lifelike, and there are some really cool optical effects as well.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Special Effects Directors: Who Is The Best? Their Best W

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Yeah, I'd have to agree there. I thought the composite shots in SOG were beautifully matted. And the wirework is probably the best of the Showa era. Kumonga, the Kamakuras gang and Godzilla and Minya's tails must have been tough to get.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Return to Godzilla Films In General