[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Introducing People to the Franchise Movie Order • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Introducing People to the Franchise Movie Order

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Introducing People to the Franchise Movie Order

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:42 pm

I figured this was the best place to put this...

I'll be doing the following for my runthrough of the series prior to May (and hopefully a Godzillacast sometime in April):
1.) Watch Gojira and Godzilla, King of the Monsters
2.) Separating a deck of cards into hearts and spades, and one joker, and one blank card
3.) Assigning Godzilla movies to the cards (Ace through King of hearts and the Joker are the Showa series, Spades are the non-Showa films, blank is GINO).
4.) Drawing a card at random.
5.) Watching the movie (and if the US version is significantly different, then the US version as well).

I like the IDEA of a machete order, but no offense to Jorzilla, I am not a huge fan of his proposed order...and I don't really feel like putting the required effort of thought into it to create one of my own. So, it's just luck (or not) of the draw! Hopefully this will keep me from experiencing what happened on my last runthrough of the series, which was a distinct anger towards Godzilla and Toho once I hit the 90s films.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Jorzilla » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:02 pm

I have been watching them in this order myself to see if I agree with the order, and while the first half of the list is really solid it is starting to fall apart towards the end. Watching the Golden Age films (sans Kong) is phenomenal. The Heisei movies are also decent if you skip Mothra and Space Godzilla...at least in the sense that I can understand what they are trying to do. Actually, now that I think about it, moving the Heisei series up against the Golden Age films is a pretty good contrast for why these films are lower in quality.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 pm

I like the idea of showing the movies to people in order, but I think this would make for a good, Honda oriented marathon -

Godzilla
Rodan
Mothra
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Invasion of Astro-Monster
Destroy All Monsters

After that it could go anywhere, especially with the amount of monsters in DAM. You could show people their origins.
Last edited by tbeasley on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:56 pm

This is how the order has shaken out based on feedback and the new movie. I watched these film in this order and they were pretty enjoyable:

Godzilla Character Trilogy

Godzilla (Godzilla, King of the Monsters) [1954]
The Return of Godzilla (Godzilla 1985) [1984]
Godzilla vs. Biollante [1989]

The Golden Era (King Ghidorah and Mothra Saga)

Mothra vs. Godzilla [1964]
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster [1964]
Invasion of Astro-Monster (Godzilla vs. Monster Zero) [1965]
Destroy All Monsters [1968]

American Film Done Right

Godzilla [2014]

Original Mechagodzilla(s)

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla [1974]
Terror of Mechagodzilla [1975]

Best of Heisei

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah [1991]
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 [1993]
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah [1995]

Modern Throwback

Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack [2001]

Mechagodzilla Remakes

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla [2002]
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. [2003]

Godzilla's Island Adventure!

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster) [1966]
Son of Godzilla [1967]
All Monsters Attack (Godzilla's Revenge) [1969]

70s Action Star!

Godzilla vs. Hedorah (Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster) [1971]
Godzilla vs. Gigan [1972]
Godzilla vs. Megalon [1973]

"Honoring' the Franchise

Godzilla: Final Wars [2004]

More Reboots?

Godzilla 2000: Millennium (Godzilla 2000) [1999]
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus [2000]

Remaining Showa Films

Godzilla Raids Again [1955]
King Kong vs. Godzilla [1962]

Remaining Heisei Films

Godzilla vs. Mothra (Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth) [1992]
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla [1994]

Now You Understand the Pain

GODZILLA [1998]
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:11 pm

So ultimately this listing was posted to the reddit FAQ, and then adopted by another user into an image file. Here's how it currently stands:

Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Just a couple nitpicks... great list otherwise

Godzilla vs The Thing and Godzilla 2000 should have * since the U.S. versions differ from the original Japanese.

"Similar Movies" should remove Gamera and its sequels and should instead include such films as Varan, KKE, Space Amoeba etc...
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to Godzilla Films In General