John Carpenter quote in new Famous Monsters...

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Legion wrote:
Barnzilla wrote:
Legion wrote:
Barnzilla wrote:if he loves the genre as much as he says he does, why isn't he the director of the new Godzilla?

He knows better.

exactly my point. He DOES know better.

Just because someone says they're a fan of the character doesn't necessarily mean they should be the one making a new American film. This is a line of thinking that frankly I'm a bit tired of. Oh Tim Burton is a fan, he should make a Godzilla movie! Tarantino is a fan, he should make a Godzilla movie! You do realize that a lot of people that Tri-Star shopped the '98 film around to turned it down right? I'm sure many of them might have liked Godzilla. But I'm willing to bet a lot of them might think an American Godzilla is wrongheaded in and of itself, or might see a project like that as career suicide.

Not only that, but Carpenter has gone on record that anything he does in the future is going to be VERY small budget projects like THE WARD. He's totally done with the Hollywood system. Not only that (and this is more or less his words, not mine) when he directs now, he pretty much just does it to put food on the table instead of passion for his craft. The dude is in his 70s and he's burnt out (again, his words). Anyone that thinks he could or SHOULD be directing a movie as big as this is insane.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Barnzilla wrote:if he loves the genre as much as he says he does, why isn't he the director of the new Godzilla?
i love the genre and i love Godzilla, but if Legendary came up to me and offered me the job (and DIDN'T offer me millions upon millions of dollars, let's just clarify that right now) I would say no...

I'm not going to absolutely RUIN a movie and a character just because I'm a fan...

Carpenter knows his heart wouldn't be into it, so he doesn't do it.
Stephen King is a HUGE fan of HP Lovecraft...you don't see him writing Cthulu stories...

just because you're a fan of something doesn't mean you think you can do better or should do it at all...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Barnzilla » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Agreed....to an extent. For every reason why he shouldn't do it, there's a reason why he should. But to suggest he's not up to the challenge because he's a fan makes no sense at all.
Barnzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Barnzilla wrote:Agreed....to an extent. For every reason why he shouldn't do it, there's a reason why he should. .

Really? Name one. Because at this point in JC's career there is nothing that indicates that he should or would do a movie like this. And JC is no longer a profitable name whatsoever, so I doubt the studios would think there was a reason to choose him either. And him being a fan isn't a reason why he "should" do anything.

To drive the point home, I'm gonna reference something David Cronenberg said. On the commentary for Rabid, he said he was a big fan of the old gothic horror movies from Hammer, especially the Dracula series. But he said "they don't appeal to me as a film maker. They appeal to me as entertainment, but that's not the type of film I'd like to make myself." Again, he likes the Hammer movies, but as an artist, he has no desire to make a gothic horror film. And again, JC is pretty much done with studios and film making in general. When he takes on a project, he's doing it to put food on the table, not because he has the same artistic passion he used to have.

Barnzilla wrote:But to suggest he's not up to the challenge because he's a fan makes no sense at all.

How so? What about the DROVES of film makers who were offered to do remakes of films and them TURNING THOSE OPPORTUNITIES DOWN BECAUSE THEY WERE SUCH BIG FANS OF THE ORIGINALS and either don't feel they are right for the job or don't think they can do the old films justice? This happens on an almost regular basis.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Barnzilla » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:03 am

Really. His statement made it clear that he has great admiration for these films and their history which should appeal to his talents. To clarify, that alone may not be enough to get him hired BUT, if there was some creative aspect of the production that he just could not pass up, I'm sure he would be interested.
Barnzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:15 am

Barnzilla wrote:Really. His statement made it clear that he has great admiration for these films and their history which should appeal to his talents.

Appealing to ones taste in entertainment and their own artistic sensibilities and desires are two completely different things. That was the whole point behind me quoting David Cronenberg about being a Hammer fan.

JC loves the movies because he loves those movies, not because he wants to make one himself. His quote even says that Japanese monster movies have a unique feel that cannot be replicated. Which raises another point and that's that I doubt he feels like he'd be able to replicate those things that he loves about those films. Carpenter is one of the more modest and upfront film makers out there.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 pm

A bit of a tangent, but in a similar vein, here is Tim Burton talking about War of the Gargantuas and his love of kaiju movies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTKXIlDM ... ture=share
MouthForWar
Controller

Previous

Return to Godzilla Films In General