Godzilla's Roar Recreation

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla's Roar Recreation

Postby Jorzilla » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:30 am

I'm sure everyone is aware of Akira's Ifukube's famous description on how he created Godzilla's iconic roar. I'm just wondering if anyone has some good stories about their own trials recreating that now iconic sound. With the advent of computer technology, it is not that difficult to get some nice new, sound clips, and using open source software, slowing down and speeding up playback appropriately. I'm just wondering if anyone on the board has actually taken the time to do so, examples would be great! Whenever I'm around some stringed instruments its usually the first thing I think about, and I am sure one of you has actually tried it.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Godzilla's Roar Recreation

Postby ryuuseipro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Jorzilla wrote:I'm sure everyone is aware of Akira's Ifukube's famous description on how he created Godzilla's iconic roar. I'm just wondering if anyone has some good stories about their own trials recreating that now iconic sound. With the advent of computer technology, it is not that difficult to get some nice new, sound clips, and using open source software, slowing down and speeding up playback appropriately. I'm just wondering if anyone on the board has actually taken the time to do so, examples would be great! Whenever I'm around some stringed instruments its usually the first thing I think about, and I am sure one of you has actually tried it.

It would take a total artist to recreate Godzilla's roar the same way, digital or otherwise. Remember, they also played around with speed manipulation/warping. (Note that in the original Japanese trailer, Godzilla's roar used was actually the source material!)
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:03 pm

I am still trying to figure out how they made Gamera's roar? From scratch, or a mix of existing sounds manipulated in weird ways and combined???
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Re: Godzilla's Roar Recreation

Postby Jorzilla » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:37 pm

ryuuseipro wrote:It would take a total artist to recreate Godzilla's roar the same way, digital or otherwise. Remember, they also played around with speed manipulation/warping. (Note that in the original Japanese trailer, Godzilla's roar used was actually the source material!)
With a free program like Audacity it is quite easy to play with pitch and speed. With access to a proper instrument I feel like someone that understands the basics of the program could give it a decent shot at recreating the roar, even to the point of adding in animal sounds like the more recent movies. I would love to do something like that, it's just not that often that I have access to a contrabass that I can play around with and loosen the strings out of tune; something tells me the owner would not be okay with that. The difficulty in originally creating the roar would be analog audio recorders, and the need to record any changes. There's a good featurette on the King Kong DVD that talks about the vision the audio designer had in recording animal sounds and mixing them together despite the technological limitations. A lot of what he did back then would seem trivial compared to what audio artists could do today using free programs like the one linked above, not even considering what tools professionals have access to these days.

TDLR: Anyone that's dedicated enough to make a fan film could go through and recreate the roar. I was just hoping someone had actually done it.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Jinzo Ningen wrote:I am still trying to figure out how they made Gamera's roar? From scratch, or a mix of existing sounds manipulated in weird ways and combined???

From memory, it was a combination of a slowed-down human growl, and supposedly a modified elephant roar. I'm going by what August Ragone said in his commentary for the first film, plus my experience of playing around with the sound effect on a sound-editing program.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Godzilla Films In General