U.S. Versions of Godzilla Movies... Lost?

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

U.S. Versions of Godzilla Movies... Lost?

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:13 pm

I was looking over my various, official Godzilla DVDs the other day, and a saddening thought occurred to me.

Is anyone else worried that the TRUE American versions of Godzilla versus the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster, Godzilla 1985 and, to a lesser extent, Terror of Mechagodzilla are going to be lost forever in the abyss of time and VHS obscurity, never to be seen again?
TitanoGoji16
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Could be, but it might also been that decades from now we'll have all those versions in versions made Classic Media style from using the Japanese prints with US soundtrack.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:40 pm

YES, YES and YES again. This is a major concern of mine and has been for some time now. The 4 films I'm concerned with are those that Toho has replaced with their own inferior dubs. The Titra dubs for Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, and Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster are some of the best done by Mr. Fernandez and company, not to mention Hal Linden's contributions as the leads in Sea Monster and DAM. I find it extremely disturbing that no one is taking the initiative to restore those films and make them available to the public. They are not public domain titles since Toho has reclaimed rights to those titles since AIP and others no longer exist. It's a shame that the talent that went into them will be lost forever.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:47 pm

walshiam wrote:They are not public domain titles since Toho has reclaimed rights to those titles since AIP and others no longer exist.

Every time I see this topic brought up in the DVD Forums, the explanation is always "Toho isn't sure who owns the right to these dubs and prefers to not deal with it," or something along those lines.

This makes no sense to me. This is Toho's stuff, shouldn't they be making sure who has rights to it?
TitanoGoji16
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Yeah this concerns me a great deal. Especially with Sea Monster. The international dub is atrocious. I need to learn something about technology and make copies of my SoG/Sea Monster VHS tapes.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:19 pm

If Toho doesnt want these dubs used for whatever reason they're not going to ever be used again. Simple as that. Everyone better get used to those International dubs, cause - officially - we're stuck with them.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Thank you for that, Mr. Sunshine. :P
TitanoGoji16
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:07 pm

OOOOOooorrrrr we could find a way to preserve these in an unofficial capacity.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:32 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:OOOOOooorrrrr we could find a way to preserve these in an unofficial capacity.

I was about to say the same things Alex. I know a wonderful place that sells all of the Showa films and Godzilla 84' in their Japanese versions and also include their original dubs (not the dreadful current ones). Due to forum rules I can not really give any more info but if you want more info you can always PM me.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Yes, people can unofficially try to preserve these old dubs, but that doesn't replace how much better it would be if these were restored and officially released. People have been bootlegging the AIP dubs for years. They're out there but unless they're officially preserved I'm sure one day they will be lost to time.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:54 pm

Legion wrote:Yes, people can unofficially try to preserve these old dubs, but that doesn't replace how much better it would be if these were restored and officially released. People have been bootlegging the AIP dubs for years. They're out there but unless they're officially preserved I'm sure one day they will be lost to time.

It is a sad fact but honestly, the US distributors (Sony and Media Blasters) can really care less about those dubs. I mean, I remember hearing the 'Sea Monster' dub at G-Fest and it was so terrible I considered walking out. The dubs have to be paid for and if Sony doesn't care to shell out cash for special features then the hopes of seeing these dubs are slim to none. Thank goodness for their blessed branch Classic Media.

I am sure we may see some Blu-ray releases in 2012 however so I would recommend maybe writing Sony when the time comes a little closer and suggesting it. Other then that the bootleg market is the only hope for these fantastic dubs.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:13 am

would LOVE to find a way to preserve these dubs

ESPECIALLY sea monster and SoG...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

ahem

Postby Xenorama » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:00 am

anyone desiring such preserved titles should PM me, I'd be happy to help.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:06 am

Flame of Udin wrote:I mean, I remember hearing the 'Sea Monster' dub at G-Fest and it was so terrible I considered walking out.

You are a stronger man than we were! Our whole group got up and left before the yachters even got caught in the storm!

Anyway, the Australian DVD of Sea Monster has the original dub, I believe, so there's that.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:26 pm

So the R4 Madman DVD uses the Walter Reade version of SEA MONSTER..? Hmm, did not know that. They did release the AIP version of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, so I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised. I'm sure the quality is less than stellar though..
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby baragon123 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Hey guys, if you wanna obatain some rare versions of kaiju flicks, just go to the VHS section of Amzon and individual sellers usually have tapes for cheap. That where I got copys of The Last War, Yog, and Godzilla vs the Sea Monster.
Words of wisdom from Stone Cold Steve Austin,

"And thats the Bottom Line 'cause Stone Cold Said so"!
"What!?"
"Austin 3:16,said I just whooped your ass!"
"I'll drink to that!"
baragon123
Little Godzilla

Postby SeaHawk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:00 pm

All the US versions have been put out on VHS, bootlegged and distributed on torrent sites enough that I seriously doubt any will be lost any time soon. Plus, there are many collectors who have prints of these versions, myself included.
SeaHawk
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:15 pm

baragon123 wrote:Hey guys, if you wanna obatain some rare versions of kaiju flicks, just go to the VHS section of Amzon and individual sellers usually have tapes for cheap. That where I got copys of The Last War, Yog, and Godzilla vs the Sea Monster.

This. I know VHS is looked down upon in this age of high def, but I think its still a decent way of home viewing and there are a LOT of rare things out on VHS that you can find dirt cheap. I'm still a proud VCR owner, and probably always will be.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby walshiam » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Goji 84 wrote:So the R4 Madman DVD uses the Walter Reade version of SEA MONSTER..? Hmm, did not know that. They did release the AIP version of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, so I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised. I'm sure the quality is less than stellar though..

The bad thing about their DAM is that it's edited. It's not the whole picture.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:41 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
baragon123 wrote:Hey guys, if you wanna obatain some rare versions of kaiju flicks, just go to the VHS section of Amzon and individual sellers usually have tapes for cheap. That where I got copys of The Last War, Yog, and Godzilla vs the Sea Monster.

This. I know VHS is looked down upon in this age of high def, but I think its still a decent way of home viewing and there are a LOT of rare things out on VHS that you can find dirt cheap. I'm still a proud VCR owner, and probably always will be.
quite honestly, you can find 99.9999% of things in JUST as good quality as VHS out there on the internet, and the other .0001% you could either borrow a DVD burner or have a place do it for you and then the quality is just as good as your VHS but its now on DVD (and creating a DVD from .mpeg/.avi files isn't all that tough)
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Goji 84 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:00 pm

walshiam wrote:
Goji 84 wrote:So the R4 Madman DVD uses the Walter Reade version of SEA MONSTER..? Hmm, did not know that. They did release the AIP version of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, so I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised. I'm sure the quality is less than stellar though..

Well, the AIP version of DAM was slightly edited to begin with. If that's what you're getting at. Does it have further changes or something?
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:41 am

Legion wrote:If Toho doesnt want these dubs used for whatever reason they're not going to ever be used again. Simple as that. Everyone better get used to those International dubs, cause - officially - we're stuck with them.

Well Legion, should never say never. I think we can all agree that the AIP's are vastly superior to the internationals. If Toho down the line believes they can eventually make a buck out of them (and they should realize that we all became fans because of these versions), then perhaps they may have a change of heart. No guarantees, but one never knows.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:52 am

Gwangi wrote:
Legion wrote:If Toho doesnt want these dubs used for whatever reason they're not going to ever be used again. Simple as that. Everyone better get used to those International dubs, cause - officially - we're stuck with them.

Well Legion, should never say never. I think we can all agree that the AIP's are vastly superior to the internationals. If Toho down the line believes they can eventually make a buck out of them (and they should realize that we all became fans because of these versions), then perhaps they may have a change of heart. No guarantees, but one never knows.

I'm afraid I have to go with Legion's sentiments...TOHO is perfectly fine with the international dubs ( :puke: )and has little incentive to release the AIP dubs. Sucks too, as I grew up with the AIP dubs for GvsHedorah and DAM.

Gone is the catchy"Save the Earth" in favor of Keiko Mari's screeching. And how can we forget the DAM international dub's "Why that!" lines? :roll: Absolutely terrible. :th-dn:

I hope fans take it upon themselves to preserve those AIP dubs...
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:05 am

walshiam wrote:

Oh yeah, I don't know how we could live without a few seconds of Minilla ducking for cover as Angilas falls from the sky.... :roll: The AIP was *barely* edited...and what little they removed was no major loss.

Since I have a region free DVD player, I might have to pick this R4 up...the American DVD releases are the *WORST* releases ever...it doesn't even a chapter selection screen :x Nice cover art though...
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:56 pm

^^More than that was edited..........much more.
walshiam
Godzilla

Next

Return to Godzilla Films In General