TALKBACK: Godzilla (1998)

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

TALKBACK: Godzilla (1998)

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:21 pm

Not to beat a dead-horse (tangent, isn't that what ANY discussion about Godzilla is at this point?)

and as a first apology, I wasn't quite sure WHERE to post this, since it's not (in my mind) part of the Heisei series...so I figured 'Godzilla in General'
second apology is sorry for the long post

anywho

This movie happened to be on the other day and nothing (I mean, NOTHING) else was, so I felt the need to re-fuel my distaste...

as I was watching it, I sat through the first act thinking to myself "Man, this isn't quite as bad as I remember it being" and then GINO appeared in NY

forget the hundreds of other problems with the film...I noticed two things that I had never noticed before...

#1.) The lazier but somehow less aggrivating of the two - GINO's inconsistent size...one minute, his footprints are big enough to fit probably 20 people from end to end, the next, his foot is barely big enough to crush a cab. Also, one minute his eye is big enough to fill a subway tunnel, the next, he's peering at a taxi stuck in one and his eye looks tiny and his mouth (which one would assume would be bigger than his subway-tunnel-sized eyeball) is barely big enough to hold a car...his weight also seems inconsistent, with his vibrations shaking cars in one scene and then not even causing Hank Azaria to move in another...

#2.) The slightly less lazy but much more maddening and fun-detracting - the movie starts off as a pretty serious allegory for the atomic bomb and the inherent ecological message seems to make itself evident. Then that's all dropped in favor of blow-em up ACTION. I mean, at one point, they're all taking Geiger (sp?) readings on that old man, shaking their heads about how he's gonna die soon from radiation poisoning AND they're all cocerned over how radioactive GINO's footprints are, and the next minute, the Army has no problems blowing him to pieces and scattering his apparently toxic blood all over the place. Not to mention that the main character who knows full well just how toxic the creature should be to touch, scoops up a handful of his blood for pregnancy testing....

I think it just infuriated me to watch and think that really, they could have stuck with the pacing, fears, message, etc of the first half of the movie and actually ended up with a decent, serious flick....

it has nothing to do with whether or not they respected the source material (they didnt), they just did a lazy job (most likely because they got away with it during ID4)

and, bring on the "There's way more worse stuff about GINO than THAT" comments...
or the "Just let this movie die" comments (one that I've always found eternally frustrating as it could apparently be applied to ANY of the crappier G-films but only gets said about this one)
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18389
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: GINO

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:31 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:and, bring on the "There's way more worse stuff about GINO than THAT" comments...
or the "Just let this movie die" comments (one that I've always found eternally frustrating as it could apparently be applied to ANY of the crappier G-films but only gets said about this one)


Or how about this comment:
For all its obvious flaws and the glaring "that just plain ain't Godzilla" factor, I still loved it!
I liked the creature designs, I liked the action, and heck, I even liked Matthew Broderick in it. Then again, I've been told that I am a very forgiving person...
~Brian
User avatar
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Tochigi, Japan

and

Postby Xenorama » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:54 am

let's not forget the horrendous pacing of the movie- gino disappears for a huge amount of time in the middle of the movie. no Godzilla movie ever made was this boring.

did i mention it was boring as well as bad?

David
User avatar
Xenorama
Monster 01
 
Posts: 3026
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: L77

Re: and

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 am

Xenorama wrote:let's not forget the horrendous pacing of the movie- gino disappears for a huge amount of time in the middle of the movie. no Godzilla movie ever made was this boring.

did i mention it was boring as well as bad?

David

It's not that Godzilla being in hiding for the larger portion of the movie is a necessarily bad thing...

He barely appears in Gojira, and is largely in the Mt Fuji area barely causing any chaos on KKvsG
BUT
when he actually poses a THREAT as a monster hell-bent on destruction rather than an ANIMAL, his hiding/disappearance serves the tension of the movie rather than just make it boring...
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18389
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby armandv » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:25 pm

No matter how one slices it, GINO is still a POS of a movie.
Image
User avatar
armandv
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1757
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:30 am
Location: Tarzana, California (somewhere near Hollywood)

Postby Legion » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:11 pm

armandv wrote:No matter how one slices it, GINO is still a POS of a movie.


Exactly. Even if the monster had nothing to do with Godzilla it still would have been a terrible, terrible movie.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: GINO

Postby skiddish » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Moonlight SY-3 wrote:For all its obvious flaws and the glaring "that just plain ain't Godzilla" factor, I still loved it!
I liked the creature designs, I liked the action, and heck, I even liked Matthew Broderick in it. Then again, I've been told that I am a very forgiving person...


You aren't alone Brian. There's a lot of people who also enjoyed it.

I'm not a big fan of it myself. Although the updated design in the cartoon series was far better than what was in the film.
But there's definitely a large group of people that like it. But can't say so in public for fear of getting picked on.
skiddish
Godzillasaurus
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Postby Mexigojira » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Not so much of a fan of GINO, sure, the movie wasnt anything that could make the movie being called properly a Godzilla movie, but it had his good parts, at least the opening, Godzilla walking in New York (it wasnt even destroying it) and some scenes with Godzilla and the military were entretaining, Hank Azaria was funny, the rest of the movie, well, aside from the fact that GINO was weak, a lot of things would had to ve cut from the movie (and here they come the jokes about cutting all the movie)

If there were possitive things from the 98 movie are:

a) the new media atention to godzilla and the VHS videos

b) the toys

c) Godzilla series, that was a great cartoon.

GINO (the monster, now that he's part of the Godzilla gang, he could be a called Kaiju or at least honorary Kaiju) deserves some respect.
Image
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
User avatar
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:49 pm
Location: Monterrey, Nuevo Léon Mexico

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 pm

I think we can agree the cartoon was pretty good. It did also help bring out the Heisei movies after Biollante.
Image
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:09 pm

Postby kidnicky » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:39 pm

You know,I've never actually seen that cartoon.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2978
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:46 pm
Location: PA

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:40 am

kidnicky wrote:You know,I've never actually seen that cartoon.

It's essentially GINO acting like Godzilla...he breathes fire, he fights monsters and takes on enemies without running away...it's pretty sweet
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18389
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Danno » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Yeah, aside from all the weird flaws in the movie with Godzilla and with SFX, the movie was freaking boring.

When I got the movie on VHS I ended up fast forwarding to all the monster parts. I also skipped all the baby Godzilla stuff and went right back to the big trans-gender Godzilla action.

I tend to do the same with Final Wars.
User avatar
Danno
Godzilla
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:54 pm
Location: Londonderry, NH

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Yah...Final Wars is the only Toho Godzilla movie I can honestly say I dislike...Id just skip to the fight seen at the end...if hell freezes over and I decide I want to ever put the dvd back in
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby Tiny Gigan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:55 am

I saw GINO in theaters and GFW as a Thai bootleg and wasn't impressed with either, but I ended up buying them both on DVD because I'm an idiot completist. :? I've watched each disc once to make sure it actually works and have no foreseeable plans to watch either again.
Image
User avatar
Tiny Gigan
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:41 pm

Postby SciFi Geek » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:36 am

I liked it but would rank every Godzilla movie over it. The cartoon series was a vast improvement. Wish they would release the series on DVD.
SciFi Geek
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:35 pm

Re: and

Postby RyanClark » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:20 am

Xenorama wrote:let's not forget the horrendous pacing of the movie- gino disappears for a huge amount of time in the middle of the movie. no Godzilla movie ever made was this boring.

did i mention it was boring as well as bad?

David


This is probably why I tend to enjoy the TV edited version more than the full length one...
RyanClark
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:35 am
Location: Missouri

Postby GoDziLLaX » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:25 pm

The one thing I liked about GINO was its impact on the future..

If GINO never came out and tarnished Godzilla's name, then the retaliatory actions taken by Toho (G2K and the entire Millenium series for that matter) probably wouldn't have come out.

Personally, I always loved Godzilla, but living in America and only being 12 years old at the time, I had never seen a Godzilla flick on the big screen. GINO was the first one.. Consequently, around that time is when I got big into searching the internet. Over the course of the next few months, I came across a link for a website, known then as "Fandom.com" which showcased some early photos from the G2K set. I was so happy.

So there is it. In my opinion, if GINO never happened, I don't know how much longer it would have taken for Toho to reignite the "Real" Godzilla. For that, I thank Devlin and Emmerich.
User avatar
GoDziLLaX
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:57 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Postby kent » Sat May 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Well, by looking at my avatar, you can tell I am a huge fan of this movie. :lol:

Anyone who has seen some of my earlier posts at the Kaijuphile forums knows how much I love this movie and that it is my favorite Godzilla movie.

I'm not going to debate anyone over this, because it comes down to personal tastes and opinions, but I just love it! I think the design is the most realistic design Godzilla was given since the original 1954. The story, I find to be vastly entertaining and the effects are really well done.

I understand where you all are coming from as you believe the movie's portrayal of Godzilla, first and foremost, is the biggest flaw of the film. Nevertheless I like the new direction Emmerich and Devlin went with it and I will go to my grave loving this film.
User avatar
kent
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:14 am

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 am

kent wrote:The story, I find to be vastly entertaining

this is the one point where I entirely disagree with you (i disagree with portions of your other statements, but this one i disagree with almost entirely)

by removing the 'menace' of Godzilla, the filmakers essentially made the movie extraordinarily boring...rather than fear the appearance of Godzilla, the people in this film actually HOPE for it, because they know they can kill him if he hangs around (if it turned out that this were false, that'd be one thing...but since its true, SNOOZE) it just eliminates all tension from the scenes that Godzilla isn't in...
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18389
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:08 am

Thats a lot of fish...
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:04 pm

GoDziLLaX wrote:
If GINO never came out and tarnished Godzilla's name, then the retaliatory actions taken by Toho (G2K and the entire Millenium series for that matter) probably wouldn't have come out.


That would have been a good thing if you ask me.
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:22 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
GoDziLLaX wrote:
If GINO never came out and tarnished Godzilla's name, then the retaliatory actions taken by Toho (G2K and the entire Millenium series for that matter) probably wouldn't have come out.


That would have been a good thing if you ask me.


I, on the other hand, would have been very, very sad if the 90s films were the last Godzilla films. :puke:
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
User avatar
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:16 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:
GoDziLLaX wrote:
If GINO never came out and tarnished Godzilla's name, then the retaliatory actions taken by Toho (G2K and the entire Millenium series for that matter) probably wouldn't have come out.


That would have been a good thing if you ask me.


I, on the other hand, would have been very, very sad if the 90s films were the last Godzilla films. :puke:



After seeing the near disaster of the Millenium movies and where we all stand as of now, I would have to agree. with MouthForWar.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:51 pm
Location: Placentia, CA.

Postby Legion » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:59 pm

Yup, Toho's decision to start a new Godzilla series as a knee-jerk reaction to GINO was probably the worst they thing they could have possibly done. When the Heisei series ended Toho stated that they felt they had done all they could do with the character, he needed a break and they wanted to go out while Godzilla was still a star. So why in the world did they think it was a good idea to bring him back after only 4 years?

The public wasn't ready for new Godzilla movies. Period. Part of the reason I dislike the Millennium series as a whole is because these movies didn't need to be made. The existence of the Millennium series irks me, because these films are the reason why Godzilla is deader than ever in Japan. And they're the reason he won't be coming back any time soon.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:00 pm

I enjoyed the Millineum series far more than I did the films from the 90's because they're simply better IMHO. I don't think you can compare anything from the 90s to GMK but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
User avatar
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:36 pm

Next

Return to Godzilla Films In General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests