Lost projects we would like to see.

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:01 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:uh......NO :th-dn: You honestly want to see a G film that pretends that Godzilla and Angilas are just normal "Tyranosaurus Rex/Anklyousaurus" dinosaurs where all references to Godzilla's radioactive breath are omitted? In that case, why not just call it Jurassic Park 4 or GINO 2?

MekaGojira3k wrote:I agree with ebirahsmeg1, that'd just be a repeat of GINO. Hell, it'd be reinforcing the idea that Godzilla is just some large reptile with no real abilities or personality...plus it'd slip so far into Jurassic Park territory, well it wouldn't be pretty. Would I watch it? Hell yes. I just would prefer time be spent on something that's a little more interesting than Godzilla Raids Again without the traditional kaiju aspect.

I'm sorry, I guess I need to clarify. ^^()

I like The Volcano Monsters as an idea for a Godzilla-LIKE film, but not an actual Godzilla film. I think it's an interesting concept and, if revised/modernized, could be a good kaiju/dinosaur film. Basically, if I made this I would want The Volcano Monsters to remind the viewer of Godzilla, not think that this really was Godzilla or Anguirus.

Thinking about The Volcano Monsters this way has been a pet project of mine for a couple years now... I tend to imagine it as a modern King Kong or Lost World-esque adventure story that segues into a Godzilla-style daikaiju film in the second half.

Am I making sense? ^^()
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Godzilla vs The Mutant Astronaut Fan Art

Postby Enshohma » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Wanted to share this with all of you, and hopefully get some unbiased feedback from individuals who aren't already fans from my DeviantART page.

I recently did a huge commission for the web-site Toho Kingdom, related to one of their pre-existing Cutting Room pages - particularly the former "Godzilla vs. Uchujin" page, now properly renamed "Godzilla vs. M": http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... _vs_m.html

This was of course the 'Godzilla fights off a mutated astronaut' concept that was considered for a 2001 film, until it was dropped in favor for what ultimately evolved into "GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack". The said astronaut was named Takegami, but is given the military codename of 'M' after his transformation into a giant monster.

Now of course no character designs were ever made for Takegami / M (or at least as far as I know), so the illustrations and designs I did for Toho Kingdom is total theory, based on educated guess work. I go into more detail on this aspect in my related DeviantART uploads.

Early M / Takegami artwork: http://enshohma.deviantart.com/art/Godz ... -142085547

Full-body frontal view of M / Takegami: http://enshohma.deviantart.com/art/Take ... -323162325

Side profile for my Kaiju Portraits series: http://enshohma.deviantart.com/art/Take ... -323957076

Go ahead and share your opinions (good or bad alike) on my M design, as I will be looking forward to them. I;m also open to questions if anyone has any.

Guess All of the Above Monsters' Names and Respective Places of Origin and Win a Prize!
Enshohma
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 am

probably could be a neat idea, if done properly, but we all know that Toho hasn't done anything other than half-bake ideas in years and years and years...this probably would have been as ridiculous on film as it sounds in its one to two sentence summary "an astronaut gets mutated into a giant monster and fights godzilla"
i can only imagine how horrible the effects sequences of outer space would have looked...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Irish Gfan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:51 am

I would have loved the rumored remake to King Kong Vs. Godzilla in the 90s. Heck I would be all for it now.

I remember thinking Godzilla Vs. Redmoon would have been pretty cool.

Godzilla Vs. The Space Monsters sounds awesome. It basically combines elements of Godzilla Vs. Gigan, Godzilla Vs. Megalon, & Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla, all of it great.

Godzilla vs. Gargantua would have been neat as well.
Irish Gfan
Little Godzilla

Postby jrichreturns » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:12 am

If The suits for G vs Redmoon were revamped, I'd be for it, or mayeb a modern telling of it. G vs Mechanikong sounded cool. ebirahsmeg, I thought you had the heisei book with some preproduction art for it.
-SEIG ZEON!
jrichreturns
Heisei Godzilla

Godzilla 1983

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:07 am

AICN
MondoCon releases amazing sounding panel, print and LP details!
Quint wrote:The panel I'm the most looking forward to is William Stout's panel on the 1983 Godzilla film that never was. Stout did a bunch of storyboard and design work on this film that have never been seen before, but at this panel he'll be showing off a ton of it and talking about the movie never came to be.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Godzilla 1983

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:10 am

MondoCon 2014: Panels, Screenings, Exclusives and More!
JUSTIN BROOKHART wrote:Godzilla 1983
Panelist: William Stout
Long before Gareth Edwards and even Roland Emmerich took on the iconic monster, Godzilla was set to make landfall on American soil, but it wasn’t his time. Writer Fred Dekker, FX artist Rick Baker and conceptual artist William Stout were just some of the big names involved in an early attempt at a US-produced feature film in the 1980s that few were even aware existed until now.

Artist William Stout will take the audience through the entire feature film with over one hundred storyboards and conceptual art designs that he created along with Dave Stevens (creator of The Rocketeer) and Doug Widley (creator of Johnny Quest)
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Lost projects we would like to see.

Postby lhb412 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Jeez, I never knew Stevens and Widley were involved with Godzilla '83! Those guys are legends.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Godzilla 1983

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Quint reports on William Stout's MondoCon panel about the unmade Fred Dekker-scripted Godzilla film!
Quint wrote:Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. MondoCon is more than just a bunch of poster nerds gathering together vying for different limited edition prints. The focus of the Con seems to be on the artists with an eye towards hosting intimate panels with these legends.

My focus this weekend has been on Fantastic Fest, but I have made two quick trips up to MondoCon. The first was to check out the prints, LPs and say hi to old friends. Today the detour was to check out the coolest sounding panel ever: brilliant artist William Stout discussing the almost made 1983 Godzilla film. Genre favorite Steve Miner was to direct a script by the great Fred Dekker. This project made it through a lot of development, with Rick Baker brought on board to build a full scale animatronic Godzilla head and Dave Allen to execute the majority of Godzilla's screentime via stop motion.

William Stout came on with another great artist named Dave Stevens to do storyboard and concept art. Stout's work so impressed the producers that he ended up being promoted to Production Designer. Apparently his storyboards detailed the sets so specifically that he was already kind of doing that job.

Stout took the stage with Mondo head honcho Justin Ishmael to give us the backstory to the genesis of the project (calling Dekker's work the “best script I've ever read”) before taking to the first row with a mic and a flashlight to cue the old school slide projector and walked us through the movie that could have been.

So, Steve Miner was coming off the heels of two genre successes in Friday the 13th Part 2 and 3-D and somehow got the rights to attempt to launch an American version of Godzilla. Pre-Night of the Creeps and Monster Squad Fred Dekker wrote the script and William Stout was brought on to do storyboards and pitch art (and, as mentioned above, eventually was elevated to production designer).

They built a pitch package to try to get a studio to sign on to this ambitious project, which was planned to film in 3-D. Stout ran through the storyboards he had, which covered a goodly amount of the action in the film. I was able to snap a few photos, which I'll pepper into the rundown below.

THE STORY:

The film started with a quote: “Listening through the mist --- distant glow of dragon's cries, a warrior waits” before opening in space on a meteor flying towards camera. On Earth some dudes at NASA notice it and realize it's headed towards a satellite carrying nuclear missiles .

The meteor crashes into the satellite, sending one nuke crashing towards the Earth. The NASA guys are able to fire an interceptor missile to knock the nuke off course, away from populated lands and into the sea. It crashes into the water and shortly thereafter detonates. The NASA guys cheer, but the music was supposed to be ominous as the camera pushes into the irradiated water, past fish carcasses, with the title “GODZILLA 3-D” materializing.

He then went through a sequence that introduced the Snake Plissken-esque eye-patch wearing hero of the story, a character by the name of Daxton. There's a salvage flotilla at sea with some trawlers going about their fishing duties around them. One of these trawlers gets raided by scuba divers who turn out to be Russian bad guys (this was 1983, afterall) who want to be able to spy on the flotilla.

They see Daxton arrive. Turns out he's there to investigate something under the water. He takes a team and dives down to a sunken sub. The storyboards made it look like a bit of a horror movie sequence. Dark, creepy, empty sub. No sign of life or death. It's just empty. For a while, at least. They soon start finding bodies and one of Daxton's crew grabs his throat and collapses. The rest put on their regulators and breath tank oxygen as they follow the trail of bodies to a room containing nuclear missiles. One is missing.

Stout didn't say, but I'd guess this sequence happens a little bit after the above-mentioned arrival of Daxton since I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be those Russians getting there before our hero does, gassing the crew and getting out with a nuke.

Some of the connecting tissues will be missing since they didn't need to storyboard most of the exposition stuff and Stout said he hadn't read the script in decades.

The next sequences shown all focused on teasing the arrival of Big G. One very Jaws-like scene sees a fishing trawler (which was boarded to look exactly like the Orca, by the way) whose nets get snagged by something big under the water, which starts towing them around the ocean until they cut free. Another shows some Islander kids playing around a small pond. Camera pulls up to reveal that pond is in the shape of a giant lizard foot. Some soldiers cut through the pond as well, not realizing what they're walking across. Those soldiers enter a village and notice radiation burns on some of the villagers. Something big catches their attention. The soldiers look up, fear on their faces. Cut to...

An iguana's face. This is little Kevin's pet iguana who he's showing off at a school show and tell. Kevin is Daxton's kid and was to be one of the main characters of the story. He goes to school in San Francisco, gets made fun of for bringing an iguana to school and when his hot mom (drawn to look like Pat Benatar) picks him up from school that doesn't help his rep very much.

There was some stuff establishing Kevin as Daxton's kid (shots of his father driving across the Golden Gate Bridge to pick him up, etc) and a bit where this 10-ish year old boy is driving a jeep around sand dunes, his father in the passenger seat looking nervous.

The first big reveal of Godzilla is a personal connection moment between the King of Monsters and this kid. Kevin's iguana rests on his shoulder as Godzilla comes across him. It seems to confuse Big G that this human is friends with a reptile and he regards him curiously before heading off... you know, to "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" up San Francisco.

Much like the recent Gareth Edwards film, he starts with the Golden Gate bridge and moves into the city, the idea being he would be fighting army tanks and choppers and cops and other annoying humans as he destroyed famous San Fran landmarks, including DiMaggios. There were many boards showing army guys firing bazookas at Godzilla, tanks firing on him, etc.

For some reason the Russian bad guys are also in the mix and are in a chopper which Godzilla takes notice of. While trying to evade, the main Russian bald bad guy falls out. Godzilla catches him in the air, looks at him resting in the palm of his hand and then squishes him. As you do.

Not exactly sure the order of events here, but I take this to be part of a big late second act or early third act sequence. I do know that Godzilla ends up hiding out at Alcatraz and that's where the finale is set.

Daxton is piloting a fancy helicopter of some sort that's able to fire one nuke. The plan is to fire it directly into the monster's mouth, detonating inside the beast.

This puts young Kevin in a bit of a bind. He has a bond with Godzilla, but the monster is tearing up the city, killing people and will kill his dad if he doesn't step in. So, he calls out to the monster, distracting him away from his father and allowing him time to aim and launch the missile.

Godzilla crawls towards the ocean after the nuke goes off inside him. I couldn't tell if he sinks into the water or dies on the shore, but either way it's sad for Kevin (and us, too, probably).

But at least Kevin has his family back safe and sound:

That was all she wrote in terms of story beats. The rest of the panel was a Q&A, mostly focused on why it didn't happen. Stout said that at every studio the outcome was exactly the same. They'd get 14 yeses as the project rose up to the top guy and every single studio said no at that stage. Apparently this was right after there were a handful of major budget bombs, including Heaven's Gate, and all execs were gunshy about giant budget movies. Nobody wanted to take a risk, so while everybody agreed the presentation was amazing and the crew they had gathered was great it always fizzled at the top level.

Rick Baker never got to build the full scale animatronic head, but Dave Allen did construct a prototype stop motion Godzilla.

That's about it. A neat glimpse at a movie that never happened. Miner and Dekker ended up collaborating on HOUSE a few years later before Fred got his great one-two punch of Night of the Creeps and The Monster Squad going and Steve found some quality studio work (I still really dig Forever Young and Lake Placid is friggin' great!).

It's possible I may have access to that Dekker draft. If I can dig it up I just might read it and write up a detailed review/rundown of it. If you guys are at all interested in that let me know in the talkbacks below!

With that panel covered I'm back to focusing on Fantastic Fest! Behind on some reviews and I got a sweet Keanu Reeves interview to post as well (I miiiiight have made him promise me that Station would come back if they ever made a Bill and Ted 3). Stay tuned!
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby daikaijusaurus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:02 pm

I definitely would've loved to see Godzilla 1983 made, I think it would've been a nice film made by some really talented legends at the time. I've seen some of the storyboards and art work made for the film, it's such a pity that it never got made.

If anyone is interested, here is the script for the movie that I found online. Just did a quick Google search and there it was!

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zmcxlae56j50xgd
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Not really feeling Godzilla there. Just looks way too lanky to be Godzilla. Script sounds pretty good though. One thing I notice a lot about American projects that tackle Godzilla is the use of San Francisco.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:28 pm

klen7 wrote:During Tezuka's panel he mentioned he was given 5 scripts for different concepts as a follow up to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, but he wasn't crazy about them so he wrote Tokyo SOS. Toho said they were fine with whatever concept as long as it included Mothra. What is also interesting is that one of the 5 pitched scripts featured Space Godzilla. I thought that was pretty wild that there could have been a millennium SG

Godzilla x MechaGodzilla x SpaceGodzilla!
That would have been a nice way to end the millennium MechaGodzilla series.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:35 am

mr.negativity wrote:
klen7 wrote:During Tezuka's panel he mentioned he was given 5 scripts for different concepts as a follow up to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, but he wasn't crazy about them so he wrote Tokyo SOS. Toho said they were fine with whatever concept as long as it included Mothra. What is also interesting is that one of the 5 pitched scripts featured Space Godzilla. I thought that was pretty wild that there could have been a millennium SG

Godzilla x MechaGodzilla x SpaceGodzilla!
That would have been a nice way to end the millennium MechaGodzilla series.

As badass as that sounds, I think they should have thrown kiryu in there as well. Mechagodzilla teaming up with Mothra and Godzilla to fight Spacegodzilla? Hell yeah.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:57 am

Space Godzilla, I thought, was one of the more uninspiring creations from Toho. I am glad they did not reintroduce him for the Millennium series. If they ever do bring him back, major changes, I think, would have to be made. Don't make him so bulky and stiff next time.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Space Godzilla was very derivative of the ghidogoji suit, so I have to wonder what something based off kiryugoji would look like, especially considering the crystals and the millennium penchant for spikeyness
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mexigojira » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:04 am

Ok, seriously, what the "what" is this?:

Bride of Godzilla (1955) :shock:
http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Bride_of_Godzilla

A mad scientist known as Dr. Shida builds a robot in the likeness of his wife. However, as Godzilla and Anguirus return, he also builds a giant feminine robot, "Robot Daughter," in the image of his foster daughter to fight them. Adding to Dr. Kyohei Yamane's thesis from the original Godzilla film where Dr. Yamane explains Godzilla went undetected for so long because he lived in trenches, Dr. Shida proposes that Godzilla and Anguirus lived so deep into ocean trenches that they come from the center of a hollow Earth.
Inside the hollow Earth, Dr. Shida finds many Godzillas, Anguiruses, and a race of beautiful mermaids. He falls in love with one of the mermaids. During a fight between Godzilla and Anguirus, a giant blood-sucking flea is lodged from Anguirus' shell. Then, Godzilla, Anguirus, a Giant Chameleon and a Giant Archeopteryx appear in Kyushu.

Robot Daughter is finished and is sent to defend Japan. She defeats the Giant Chameleon, the Giant Archaeopteryx, breaks Anguirus' jaw and then faces Godzilla. Robot Daughter is unaffected by Godzilla's atomic breath. Godzilla seems to fall in love with Robot Daughter, and goes in a cave with the naked Robot Daughter. One character says "...it is the foreplay of love to be beaten."

Robot Daughter turns out to be a timed hydrogen bomb and takes Godzilla back to his ecosystem before exploding, destroying the ecosystem in the center of the Earth and presumably ending Godzilla.

Robot Daughter: http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Robot_Daughter

More info here (scroll down): http://cultistofvertigo.blogspot.mx/2014/12/unseen-tohoverse-1954-1959-featuring.html

In Japanese: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/monster_papa/61429786.html

It's so...I don't know, looks fake, but as I said, I don't know, but it's so crazy, it should have been animated in the 80's or early 90's. :lol:
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:29 am

Among other reasons, the plot sounds waaaaaaaaaaaay to ambitious for Godzilla 2 and I highly doubt that Toho at that time would end a movie with a nuclear bomb being the cause of victory.

I'm calling total shenanigans.

Honestly it sounds like the plot for one of those XXX Parody films.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Mexigojira » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:21 pm

XvGojira wrote:Among other reasons, the plot sounds waaaaaaaaaaaay to ambitious for Godzilla 2 and I highly doubt that Toho at that time would end a movie with a nuclear bomb being the cause of victory.

I'm calling total shenanigans.

Honestly it sounds like the plot for one of those XXX Parody films.

I think that too, that's why I added the link in japanese so if someone can see if it's real or not, there is a picture of a supposedly script, but looks fake, the picture above could have been made later, it doesn't look like it belongs to the 50's (if so, it would look like something from Tezuka, for example), look like the style is from the 90's or 80's,

Neverteless, the story is so crazy that I have to bring it here, I mean that phrase "...it is the foreplay of love to be beaten.", it's so silly, yet I want to hear it someone say it with a serious tone. :mrgreen:
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:18 am

Kaiju Transmissions Podcast
Title: Unmade Kaiju Movies with Author John Lemay!
Episode Notes: Byrd and Matt welcome special guest, author John LeMay ("The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monsters" book series) on the podcast to discuss kaiju movies that almost were! It seems almost as if for every Godzilla movie that got made, there are several scripts for other movies that never saw the light of day. John's newest book, "The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monsters: The Lost Films" details that very subject. We talk to John about his book, his beginnings as a writer, the process of writing the book, and why he's so drawn to the topic of unmade films. Then we also talk our favorite unmade Godzila/kaiju projects, and the ones we would have liked to see the most. We talk about infamous lost projects like Mothra vs Bagan, Godzilla vs Batman, and the proposed Toho/Hammer co-production Nessie, as well as obscurities such as Japan SOS, Bride of Godzilla, and Godzilla vs. M. We also debunk some common myths along our way. So listen up, relax and learn about the Godzilla movies we ALMOST had!
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:21 pm

^ I see that one of the book's contributors is Ayame Chiba. Is that the same Japanese woman who writes for G-Fan who turned out to be a white guy from, like, the midwest?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Geno » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 pm

lhb412 wrote:^ I see that one of the book's contributors is Ayame Chiba. Is that the same Japanese woman who writes for G-Fan who turned out to be a white guy from, like, the midwest?

Hahaha, that totally sounds like something that'd happen in this fandom.
The only kind of real fantasy
Geno
Baby Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:46 am

I understand a pen name. I can even understand a gender and race swap in your pen name... But claiming to be a Doctor when you're not is something I take issue with.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:58 pm

^I can understand, in America, for an author with a foreign or ethnic sounding name adopting a 'white sounding' pen name. Similarly, I can understand a female author adopting a male or gender neutral pen name. It's an unfortunate truth that doing these things can have advantages - but doing the opposite: in this case a white man adopting the name of a woman of color, seems almost sinister in it appropriation of a minority persona for set dressing.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Godzilla Films In General