Ranking the ENTIRE series...

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Ranking the ENTIRE series...

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:49 pm

All aboard the tier train! Think I'll take inspiration from Salty Bet, just to make things fun for myself.

X Tier - excels in multiple respects, is always a great watch
Godzilla (1954)
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
Monster Zero (1965)
Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
Godzilla (2014)

S Tier - excels in at least one respect, is always a very good watch
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (1966)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
Godzilla 2000 (1999)
GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
Godzilla x Mechagodzilla (2002)

A Tier - a little uneven, but a good watch
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

B Tier - somewhat uneven, an okay watch
Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
Godzilla's Revenge (1969)
The Return of Godzilla (1984)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
Godzilla vs. Destroyer (1995)

C Tier - uneven, a subpar watch
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS (2003)

Potato Tier - No.
Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla (1994)
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:03 am

Legion wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:
Legion, how can you like Revenge and Megalon over some of the best movies from the Millennium series?

Because I do.

Okay, why? What do you like about the bad ones over the Millennium ones? I'm just trying to spark a conversation here, that is all.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 am

Dr Kain wrote:
Legion wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:
Legion, how can you like Revenge and Megalon over some of the best movies from the Millennium series?

Because I do.

Okay, why? What do you like about the bad ones over the Millennium ones? I'm just trying to spark a conversation here, that is all.

Probably because they're more fun and upbeat. They're more concerned with just being a colorful battle vs having a strong story. Imagine questioning a wrestling fan as to why he'd rather watch wrestlemania than a Spielberg film action film. Because as tacky and cheesy as wrestling is, it's still fun and entertaining and doesn't try to be Spielberg. That's my guess anyway. I'd take Gigan, megalon and Godzillas Revenge over most of the Heisei and Millennium films anyway.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:17 am

Dr Kain wrote:

When you word it like that, it doesn't exactly make me want to respond to you.

Revenge and Megalon are just much more fun and entertaining than most of the Millennium films. G2K, GxM and ESPECIALLY GFW are in my bottom 3 of the entire series, GMK is good but extremely overrated and I like the Kiryu films a lot, just not as much as the older stuff.

And Godzilla's Revenge isn't a bad film. It just gets a bad rep by people who don't understand it and can't open their minds to it.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Man, I got new paged after all that work... :(
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:46 pm

eabaker wrote:Man, I got new paged after all that work... :(

I hate it when that happens. That said your list seems reasonable. Though I think TokyoSOS is watchable.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:01 pm

DannyBeane wrote:

I hate it when that happens. That said your list seems reasonable. Though I think TokyoSOS is watchable.

Yeah, that's probably the one where my opinion is farthest outside the box. Even among those who don't like it, there aren't many who rank it quite as low as I do. I genuinely have more trouble paying attention to that movie than I do any other G movie, even the '98 film. In the end, I guess I'd rather be annoyed than bored. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:19 pm

eabaker wrote:
DannyBeane wrote:

Yeah, that's probably the one where my opinion is farthest outside the box. Even among those who don't like it, there aren't many who rank it quite as low as I do. I genuinely have more trouble paying attention to that movie than I do any other G movie, even the '98 film. In the end, I guess I'd rather be annoyed than bored. :)
I can't blame you for that. The editing is terrible and the characters are bland, but the spfx bump it up a couple of notches into watchable but forgettable territory. Honestly I feel like if GXMG and Tokyo SOS were just edited into 1 full film that stuck with either Shaku or Kaneko's character then it would have rocketed up my list. Both films feel incomplete story wise imo.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Legion wrote:When you word it like that, it doesn't exactly make me want to respond to you.

says the guy whose original "entire series ranking" was at LEAST as dismissive and uninviting to conversation...arguably moreso.

not to mention this post:
Legion wrote:Because I do.

What a conversation starter! :roll:

eabaker wrote:Okay, I've commented on this thread a few times, but never posted a list. I'm definitely going to have to do it by tiers, with each tier just listed chronologically, and a lot of the placements are fluid, so some of today's tier 4 might be on tomorrow's tier 3, of this weekend's tier 5... In fact, while cutting and pasting chunks of this list from Word to the board, I reclassified a few.

Tier 1 - pretty much immutable, these are the Godzilla movies that I am flat-out in love with
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Return of Godzilla

Tier 2 - permanent unless a new movie comes along that matches or beats one
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Tier 4 - movies I very, very much dig aspects of, but just don't always feel like watching
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
Godzilla vs. Destroyah

Tier 5 - movies I enjoy, but can also be bored by if I'm not in exactly the right mood
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs. Mothra

Tier 8 - movies I consider abject failures
Tokyo SOS

So, I left the ones I consider to be quite a bit different from my feelings, for discussion.
KKvG, I really just left because I feel personally very differently, but I dunno how much I wanna argue this one...
G85 - I'm always surprised when I see this VERY high on people's lists when others that I consider similar in terms of strengths/weaknesses wind up lower. This movie has atmosphere, and score, an occasionally cool Godzilla suit...and I don't think much else. No particularly engaging characters, no particularly interesting plot throughline, kinda awkward pacing. Is it just the atmosphere here? I like this movie, but I can't ever see it climbing that high on my list.

Mothra vs. Godzilla - I really just am a tad surprised not to see this up in "immutable" range.
Godzilla vs. Hedorah - blech. I just had to voice my blechiness.

Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster - Mostly, I'm surprised to see Son of Godzilla SO much higher on your list than this, as I consider the two to be rather similar in terms of their strengths and weaknesses, and what works and doesn't.
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah - I'm curious as to what aspects you love vs. the things you don't, mostly just to see if we love the same things and the things you love weigh more favorably for you than they do for me. I love the opening and the final few minutes, but I find pretty much everything connecting those two things to just be BORING.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - boring at times? I'm surprised by that notion. I think even when there's not something super colorful in terms of kaiju action taking place, there's something whacky and nonsensical happening, like "Space titanium?!?!?!" or a magic pipe, or gorilla aliens, or whatnot.
Godzilla vs. Mothra - I find this movie to be utter filth, so I'm curious to see what it is you find to make it an overall enjoyable movie at times.

Tokyo SOS - an abject failure? Bwaah?!? I think it's in the bottom half of my Millennium series ranking (blerp, I KNOW it is) but I don't think it's just an utter FAILURE.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby eabaker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:53 pm

DannyBeane wrote:
eabaker wrote:
DannyBeane wrote:I hate it when that happens. That said your list seems reasonable. Though I think TokyoSOS is watchable.

I can't blame you for that. The editing is terrible and the characters are bland, but the spfx bump it up a couple of notches into watchable but forgettable territory. Honestly I feel like if GXMG and Tokyo SOS were just edited into 1 full film that stuck with either Shaku or Kaneko's character then it would have rocketed up my list. Both films feel incomplete story wise imo.

Very much agreed. There's one good two hours movie there, spread out over two 90 minute chunks, but those two chunks don't really connect with each other in a meaningful way. The monster action is better in Tokyo SOS, but the narrative is such a mess that by the time the third act comes around, I'm just not invested in anything that's happening.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:00 pm

eabaker wrote:those two chunks don't really connect with each other in a meaningful way.

This I agree with 100%. I was pretty excited to see a Godzilla movie be a direct sequel for the first time in a while, but nothing ever came of it. It just feels like another movie using the suits or something.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby eabaker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:49 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
eabaker wrote:Tier 1 - pretty much immutable, these are the Godzilla movies that I am flat-out in love with
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Return of Godzilla

Tier 2 - permanent unless a new movie comes along that matches or beats one
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Hedorah

Tier 4 - movies I very, very much dig aspects of, but just don't always feel like watching
Godzilla vs. Destroyah

Tier 5 - movies I enjoy, but can also be bored by if I'm not in exactly the right mood
Godzilla vs. Mothra

Tier 8 - movies I consider abject failures
Tokyo SOS

So, I left the ones I consider to be quite a bit different from my feelings, for discussion.
KKvG, I really just left because I feel personally very differently, but I dunno how much I wanna argue this one...
G85 - I'm always surprised when I see this VERY high on people's lists when others that I consider similar in terms of strengths/weaknesses wind up lower. This movie has atmosphere, and score, an occasionally cool Godzilla suit...and I don't think much else. No particularly engaging characters, no particularly interesting plot throughline, kinda awkward pacing. Is it just the atmosphere here? I like this movie, but I can't ever see it climbing that high on my list.

Mothra vs. Godzilla - I really just am a tad surprised not to see this up in "immutable" range.
Godzilla vs. Hedorah - blech. I just had to voice my blechiness.

Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster - Mostly, I'm surprised to see Son of Godzilla SO much higher on your list than this, as I consider the two to be rather similar in terms of their strengths and weaknesses, and what works and doesn't.
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah - I'm curious as to what aspects you love vs. the things you don't, mostly just to see if we love the same things and the things you love weigh more favorably for you than they do for me. I love the opening and the final few minutes, but I find pretty much everything connecting those two things to just be BORING.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - boring at times? I'm surprised by that notion. I think even when there's not something super colorful in terms of kaiju action taking place, there's something whacky and nonsensical happening, like "Space titanium?!?!?!" or a magic pipe, or gorilla aliens, or whatnot.
Godzilla vs. Mothra - I find this movie to be utter filth, so I'm curious to see what it is you find to make it an overall enjoyable movie at times.

Tokyo SOS - an abject failure? Bwaah?!? I think it's in the bottom half of my Millennium series ranking (blerp, I KNOW it is) but I don't think it's just an utter FAILURE.

Regarding both KKvsG and RoG, part of what earns certain movies an immutable status is a personal/nostalgic relationship with them. So I'm not necessarily saying that those movies are better than anything else in my top 10, but that I have some kind of special, personal history with them, which has really increased my emotional attachment. You're absolutely right about the strengths and weaknesses of RoG, and, yeah, if I had to identify the foremost reason it ranks so highly for me, it would be the atmosphere; sometime about the voice of that movie just sings for me.

I recognize Mothra vs. Godzilla as objectively one of the very, very best movies in the whole genre, and I enjoy the hell out of it, so it's absence from the immutable tier really just comes down to the fact that I don't have any particular nostalgia blinders on for it. I could theoretically imagine a Godzilla movie being made that I considered slightly better, and it wouldn't... I dunno, hurt my feelings to have to lower its ranking.

Sea Monster is a cool flick, and one that has grown on me a lot in recent years, but I don't find the kaiju scenes as enjoyable as the ones in Son of Godzilla, and I'm not as invested in the human leads. Takarada is great, and the three young guys are entertaining, but the whole ensemble of Son of Godzilla is one of my favorite human line-ups in the entire series.

Destroyah is very much a case where a few things that I really like help me to (mostly) ignore a whole lot of problems. It's a movie that goes in fits and spurts, with a very rocky structure, but I like the overall tone/atmosphere it goes for (even if it only achieves it on a hit-and-miss basis), and I like the gravity that is associated with talk about the oxygen destroyer.

Okay, as for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, here I have to take back what I said in reply to DannyBeane about Tokyo SOS being my most outside-the-box placement, because clearly - clearly - it's Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla where I most wildly diverge from the norm. That mostly comes down to the human action/thriller stuff; it just isn't my genre of choice to begin with, and in this context a lot of it feels like filler. That said, there might be a bit of a contrarian streak coming out in me here; people love this movie so much, while I just like it, that maybe I tend to think of it as less enjoyable than it really is.

Godzilla vs. Mothra is about as generic and hollow as a Godzilla movie can get, but I find the characters passably likable, and I really like Battra. That's about it.

As for Tokyo SOS, as I've said elsewhere, it just bores me senseless. I absolutely cannot get invested in it, to the point that I have a hard time even remembering specific things to criticize.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:22 pm

I fully disagree with the comments about Tokyo SOS. Say what you want about the characters, but the movie definitely feels connected to GxMG and in some ways, surpasses it with its treatment of Godzilla.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:55 am

Dr Kain wrote:I fully disagree with the comments about Tokyo SOS. Say what you want about the characters, but the movie definitely feels connected to GxMG and in some ways, surpasses it with its treatment of Godzilla.

I just...can't get there. This is possibly the ONE Godzilla movie that when people tell me they LOVE it, I don't get it. Aside from "handling Godzilla really well" and the score, a good Mothra puppet, and generally decent effects, I don't see ANY of the strengths in this movie that people claim are there. I'm fully willing to admit those things exist, but I absolutely CAN'T understand how those things actually MAKE the movie good to people. Like, yeah, Godzilla looks awesome, but I don't really care when the movie wrapped around it is just bland and boring, the editing is choppy, and the characters are complete non-entities.

I think the introduction of Mothra actually REALLY hurts the notion of it being connected to the previous film. Why hasn't Mothra cared that people have had the bones of the original Godzilla THIS ENTIRE TIME? Also, the first time out, we supposedly have a re-write of Toho history and the JSDF killing Mothra, yet here Mothra is...because...? It also doesn't help to write off the entire cast of the first outing and just say "They're in America." Especially when Akane is blatantly shown IN JAPAN, right when signs of Godzilla's re-emergence pop up. They'd keep her around instead of letting her go to America. You can slap a scar on Godzilla's chest, but that doesn't make the movie work as a sequel to GxMG, and it definitely isn't a movie that stands on its own either.

I still don't agree with eabaker that it's an abject failure, but I don't think it's GOOD.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby eabaker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:30 pm

Even regarding the much-praised effects, while, yes, the miniatures are nicely detailed, the lighting really doesn't do much to sell a sense of scale, so it mostly ends up looking like 2 meter tall monsters walking around in really detailed miniature cities.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:32 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:I fully disagree with the comments about Tokyo SOS. Say what you want about the characters, but the movie definitely feels connected to GxMG and in some ways, surpasses it with its treatment of Godzilla.

I just...can't get there. This is possibly the ONE Godzilla movie that when people tell me they LOVE it, I don't get it. Aside from "handling Godzilla really well" and the score, a good Mothra puppet, and generally decent effects, I don't see ANY of the strengths in this movie that people claim are there. I'm fully willing to admit those things exist, but I absolutely CAN'T understand how those things actually MAKE the movie good to people. Like, yeah, Godzilla looks awesome, but I don't really care when the movie wrapped around it is just bland and boring, the editing is choppy, and the characters are complete non-entities.

But you just stated the movie's positives. Another reason I love it (but is also why it is only #10 on my list) is it has one of the best melee fights of all time between Godzilla and Kiryu.

Tezuka is like a modern day Honda. I would really love to see what the man could do if he were allowed to do a Godzilla movie without time restraints and a good budget.

Also, you say you can't understand how those things can make the movie good, but I can't understand how people can praise Megalon and Revenge. Or even highly praise Gigan with its poor use of stock footage.

I think the introduction of Mothra actually REALLY hurts the notion of it being connected to the previous film. Why hasn't Mothra cared that people have had the bones of the original Godzilla THIS ENTIRE TIME?

They've only had the bones of Godzilla for a short time. And I believe no one outside of those involved with Kiryu's production probably knew they used the bones of Godzilla until it went berserk. You have to remember, Mothra appears only 6 months after the big fight, so it could have been that she wrapped herself in a cocoon right after the events occurred and had just hatched as an adult.

Also, the first time out, we supposedly have a re-write of Toho history and the JSDF killing Mothra, yet here Mothra is...because...?

They never said they out right killed Mothra. Plus, we all know how the Mothra death and rebirth cycle goes.

It also doesn't help to write off the entire cast of the first outing and just say "They're in America." Especially when Akane is blatantly shown IN JAPAN, right when signs of Godzilla's re-emergence pop up. They'd keep her around instead of letting her go to America.

I totally agree with you on this. But then, you would think that a country that has been pounded by monster attacks non-stop for nearly 50 years would have found a better solution to their problems. Maybe even having cities that have some type of protection around them be it walls that could come up or cities that go under ground.

You can slap a scar on Godzilla's chest, but that doesn't make the movie work as a sequel to GxMG, and it definitely isn't a movie that stands on its own either.

It's a sequel in the same manner that GTTHM is a sequel to Mothra vs Godzilla. And Invasion of Astro-Monster is a sequel to GTTHM. Again, I bet if Tezuka was given the time to develop Tokyo SOS, it would have turned out to be a lot stronger of a sequel. However, there is a lot I see going on between the lines in the movie. Or let me put it this way, it is 10th on my list because it entertains me more than 19 other movies in the franchise.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 am

Honda wasn't given any more time than Tezuka was...the time constraint thing isn't a valid excuse when you're comparing him against a guy who worked under just as strict (and often stricter) time deadlines.

As for Ghidrah being a sequel to MvsG...the continuity is so slight, they don't function as a pair of movies, imho. I think I saw them out of order and never was remotely confused. If one were to see Tokyo SOS prior to GxMG, it'd feel like there was something missing. So, my issue with it there still exists: it doesn't really feel like a full-on sequel, but it also doesn't stand on its own. It exists in this weird world semi-unto-itself and yet handcuffed to the previous movie in all the wrong ways.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Rody » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Dr Kain wrote:Also, you say you can't understand how those things can make the movie good, but I can't understand how people can praise Megalon and Revenge. Or even highly praise Gigan with its poor use of stock footage.

If I may interject here, I appreciate Megalon because I think the film embraces its silliness and never tries to be anything more than dumb fun. It's a bad movie, but it's honest about it.
I don't think Revenge is a good movie either, but as I understand, the circumstances behind the film's production were very unusual; and the fact that it came together as a movie with a plot, rather than just an assorted string of stock footage, is somewhat commendable, at least.
Gigan's stock footage use is clumsy - but the film also has a quirky & interesting cast of characters, plenty of brand new destruction/battle scenes, and a pretty unique plot.

Tokyo SOS used to be one of my favorites, but now I'm in the "bored" camp. The plot is half-hearted, the characters are generic, the "non-stop" action is frequently interrupted by tediously long human drama scenes (featuring the aforementioned generic characters), and the most interesting parts of the movie are blatant callbacks to Mothra or Mothra vs Godzilla. The special/visual effects are very good, and I'm fond of Michiru Oshima's musical score, but overall the movie doesn't do much for me anymore.

...And, to stay fully on topic, here's my own list from a couple of pages back, in rough order of preference. It's pretty much the same, but a couple of films have moved around:
Spoiler Below:
A-grade: absolute, all-time favorites.
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Son of Godzilla
Gojira
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

B-grade: secondary favorites; no definite order of preference here.
Godzilla vs. Biollante
King Kong vs. Godzilla (Japanese version)
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Godzilla (2014)
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Terror of Mechagodzilla

C-grade: I like these on a more casual level.
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla: King of the Monsters! (it's different enough for its own slot, imo)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
King Kong vs. Godzilla (American version) (well, if I'm giving KotM its own slot...)
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla 1985*
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Godzilla Raids Again

D-grade: generally underwhelming movies.
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1993)
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
Godzilla vs. Destroyah

F-grade: no comment.
Godzilla: Final Wars
Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
GODZILLA (1998)
Godzilla vs. Mothra: Battle for Earth

*I'm hoping my opinion of this film will improve a lot when I eventually see the original Return cut. The American cut almost felt incomplete.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:29 pm

I understand the general low ranking of Godzilla vs. Mothra '92, but it always surprises me to see it ranked that low.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Rody » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:45 pm

Much like how Tokyo SOS takes a few cues too many from Mothra and Mothra vs. Godzilla, BFE is such a blatant, half-hearted remake of Mothra's debut film that it frustrates me greatly - even more so, having followed the solid Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and the great Godzilla vs. Biollante. Everything from the writing to the effects just screams "LAAAAAAAAZZZZZZY".
...Except Battra. Battra's cool - although again, effects and writing do him in. Why was he relevant to this film, anyway? For that matter, how was Godzilla relevant? :?

I find it ironic that this film, as well as Mechagodzilla '93 and Destroyah (and SOS, for that matter), dominated my favorites list years ago; yet now I can barely stand them.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:45 pm

There was a time when Mechagodzilla '93 seemed to dominate almost every favorites list. I don't think I've seen another movie in the series take such a fall in fan opinion.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gojizilla » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:54 am

Showa

Mothra vs. Godzilla
Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Invasion of Astro-Monster
Destroy All Monsters
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Son of Godzilla
Godzilla Raids Again
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Megalon
All Monsters Attack

Heisei

Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
The Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

Shinsei

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla: Final Wars
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Godzilla 2000: Millennium
Gojizilla
Little Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:51 pm

^I can very much get behind your Heisei ranking. I basically have RoG, Biollante and GvsKG on a shared top tier for the era, but the other four I'd pretty have descending as you do.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:39 am

eabaker wrote:There was a time when Mechagodzilla '93 seemed to dominate almost every favorites list. I don't think I've seen another movie in the series take such a fall in fan opinion.

I remember this. And I remember being amped to finally see the movie (it was a pretty hard find when it first hit VHS. It kept selling out at my local stores). And I remember being let-down as I was with EVERY 90s Heisei release.

The only one I've really softened on over time is GvsKG, but the rest I've actually gotten harder on in general. I mean, I was disappointed by all the 90s Heisei films when I first saw them, but I probably would have said I legitimately liked 3 of them (KG, MG, and D) and honestly, they're pretty much all bottom-tier movies for me these days. I'd say my opinions on them went from good, to TERRIBLE, to just regular bad. I can at least see what attracts people to Destoroyah these days, but I find everything that's not a hard-and-fast STRENGTH of the film to be mind-numbingly boring and lazy.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby DannyBeane » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:52 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
eabaker wrote:There was a time when Mechagodzilla '93 seemed to dominate almost every favorites list. I don't think I've seen another movie in the series take such a fall in fan opinion.

I remember this. And I remember being amped to finally see the movie (it was a pretty hard find when it first hit VHS. It kept selling out at my local stores). And I remember being let-down as I was with EVERY 90s Heisei release.

The only one I've really softened on over time is GvsKG, but the rest I've actually gotten harder on in general. I mean, I was disappointed by all the 90s Heisei films when I first saw them, but I probably would have said I legitimately liked 3 of them (KG, MG, and D) and honestly, they're pretty much all bottom-tier movies for me these days. I'd say my opinions on them went from good, to TERRIBLE, to just regular bad. I can at least see what attracts people to Destoroyah these days, but I find everything that's not a hard-and-fast STRENGTH of the film to be mind-numbingly boring and lazy.

Agreed, growing up in an area where anything other than G 85 or Biollante was impossible to find unless you went the bootleg/gray market route, these films were hyped up to me from seeing production photos in various Godzilla books in the mid 90s. My parents eventually bought these films as bootlegs for me in the mid 90s. I was excited to finally watch them but burned out on them pretty quick. They were bland, the stories were too serious, and the monster fights just weren't satisfying so many of these have shifted to the bottom of my list of favorites. At GFest this year, I noticed a lot of teenagers/ young adults that would have grown up after these films were released on VHS and DVDs stateside without all the hype, held these films up in much higher regards. I'm wondering if these films will hold up amongst the younger fans that grew up with them as well as the Showa films have for the older folks.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Godzilla Films In General