Best Gamera Film 1965-1980

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

What is your fav?

Gamera
10%
Gamera Vs. Baragon
37%
Gamera Vs. Gyaos
27%
Gamera Vs. Viras
5%
Gamera Vs. Guiron
8%
Gamera Vs. Jiger
7%
Gamera Vs. Zigra
1%
Gamera: Super Monster
4%

Total votes : 99

Best Gamera Film 1965-1980

Postby CCZilla » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:37 pm

What do you all think it is? For me, it's Gamera Vs. Baragon. It has a mature story, a formidable villain and nice FX. It pads a little, but it ties up with Gamera nicely.
Godzilla, anime, martial arts...god, I love Japan!
CCZilla
Godzilla Egg

Postby godzillamaster66 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:57 am

I just like gamera vs. Gaos for some reason. It was my first gamera movie. I own the sandy frank version from a dvd set. I have seen both dubbed versions, i want to see the original.
godzillamaster66
Godzilla Jr.

Postby briizilla » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:00 pm

I like Baragon. Its well done all around, and no annoying kids for the most part. The FX are pretty cool for the most part too. Its also one of my favorite MST episodes
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby kamacuras » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:35 pm

The most entertainig one would be Gamera vs Gyaos. The BEST one however would be Gamera vs Barugon...especially considering it had no annoying kids to "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" it this time around.
Save the planet. Go green.
kamacuras
Little Godzilla

Postby Mexigojira » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:04 pm

I just loved Gamera vs Gyaos, just followed by Gamera vs Barugon, my favorite part being Gyaos gliding over the city and EATING people, in a sick and twisted way, SWEET¡¡
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:10 pm

I voted for GAMERA VS. GUIRON. It simply the wackiest and craziest of the series. And to me anyway, it's the most entertaining. It was a real surprise to see Gyaos, or "Space Gyaos in the movie when I first saw it. And by the way, it takes place on an entirely different planet! That's cool as hell, I think. After that, I'd go with the original. I'm surprised that one is so far behind. I think it's atleast on par with some of the merely good Godzilla movies of the period. But then again, comparing Gamera and Godzilla movies is apples and oranges, so...
Anyway, to rate the series (you know we'll all have to do it eventually!), this is how it goes. And oh yeah, I like using the AIP-TV titles, even though these are the Japanese versions so bare with me.

ATTACK OF THE MONSTERS
GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE
RETURN OF THE GIANT MONSTERS
WAR OF THE MONSTERS
GAMERA VS. MONSTER X
DESTROY ALL PLANETS
GAMERA VS. ZIGRA

To this day, even though I own it, I've never watched SUPERMONSTER all the way through. My copy is Japanese without subtitles, and nothing I saw was really of interest.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby RyanClark » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:13 am

My first Gamera film, as well as the one I voted for, was Gamera: Super Monster. It was on TBS late one night over a decade ago.
RyanClark
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dagarah72 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:57 am

For me it's Gamera vs. Gyaos, followed by Gamera vs. Barugon. Great movies. I also, however, LOVE Gamera vs. Guiron for it's over the top goofiness. Any movie where a monster chops off another monsters head with his knife face is pure gold!

Ricky
Dagarah72
Godzilla

Postby godzillamaster66 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:36 pm

I've always wanted to see Zigra and Super Monster, but I might have to get the R2s:\

I've seen most showa films except the above 2 and Attack of the Monsters...I'm just gonna get the Alpha DVD, if I like it I'll get the R2.
godzillamaster66
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Stadawim » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:23 pm

vGaos. It may or may not have been my first Gamera movie (gimme a break, i can't remember - i was 4!), but it was definitely the first kaiju i saw that involved BLEEDING which was both scary and cool for me at the time. And i thought the villain was neat, being a giant flying blood bat that hates the sun and all.
Stadawim
Little Godzilla

Postby Gigan71 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:14 pm

Gamera Vs. Barugon gets my vote !
Gigan71
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Jim Ballard » Tue May 31, 2005 3:46 am

I'd go with Gamera vs. Gaos. Something about that movie just works so well.
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

Postby jkrouskop » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:23 pm

GAMERA VS. JIGER. It has everything... two great giant monsters, lots of action and destruction, a big onetime event to set the story around, Easter Island-style stone idols, a grisly plot involving larva being implanted inside Gamera, plenty of those kids that some of you so inexplicably hate, the Gamera march, the most repulsive real-life scene ever included in a kaiju film (footage during a film briefing of insect larva inside an elephant's trunk - yuck!), etc., etc. A near perfect Japanese monster movie.
jkrouskop

Postby china » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:05 pm

I voted gyoas! That movie is pure fun!! So fast paced and colorful. Looks great on DVD also!! :)
china

Postby redkiryuranger » Tue May 23, 2006 4:33 pm

gamera vs viras and viras very sneaking in the film
redkiryuranger
redkiryuranger
Baby Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed May 24, 2006 9:59 am

Gamera vs. Gyaos.
Last edited by Benjamin Haines on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby Leviathan » Wed May 24, 2006 10:52 am

I'm not a fan of the Showa Gamera films but I suppose I would go for the original Gamera as the best of the series, as to me it seemed the most serious attempt to make Gamera into a serious kaiju. Unlike the original Godzilla movie I think I actually prefer the American version of this film to the original Japanese release (so long as that is not regarded as heresy!)

Of course, you could argue that if you've seen Super Monster Gamera you don't need any of the other Gamera films, as it contains all the action that appeared in them... :D
Leviathan
Godzilla Egg

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat May 27, 2006 11:37 pm

I agree with most of you these films, all range from bad to horrible. That being said, I love Gamera vs Baraguon and Gamera vs. Gyaos. Guiron is an interesting movie to me and Jiger and Zigra are awesome kaiju trapped in horrible movies. Havent seen Super Monster either or Viras. THe only one i hate is the first Gamera movie, it has got to be one of the worst movies ever.
KG
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun May 28, 2006 10:42 pm

I think Gamera vs Barugon has the best effects, but Gamera vs Gyaos is the best all around film.

Gamera vs Guiron is still my favorite, though.

The first Gamera is a snore-fest, Gamera vs Viras is shameful, Gamera vs Monster X is actually pretty cool, and Gamera vs Zigra is just plain stupid.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Bruce R » Wed May 31, 2006 3:37 pm

While I prefer GIANT MONSTER GAMERA, GAMERA VS GYAOS was probably the best in terms of character development, acting, etc. Not perfect, but certainly better than other showa Gamera films like GAMERA VS JIGER. But again, I'd rather watch GIANT MONSTER GAMERA simply because it's more fun to me, probably because it loosely uses the plot from GODZILLA ('54), except without as much dark tone.
Bruce R
Godzilla Egg

Postby GFan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm

I love the "monster scenes" in all of the Gamera movies. It's the actual plots/human scenes that can become a chore to get through.

GAMERA - the problem with this movie is that it doesn't know whether it wants Gamera to be a menace, or be a misunderstood creature (Since he saves the annoying brat kid).

GAMERA VS. BARUGON - Probably the best out of the original series. It has no kids, and has a much more serious tone than the other films. However, Gamera is hardly present in this movie. I know I'm not the only one who feels bad for Barugon at the end!

GAMERA VS. GYAOS - Pretty well balanced, though I don't particular like any of the characters. Like the first Gamera movie, I don't care for most of the music.

GAMERA VS. VIRAS - Pretty bad, though the hot girl scouts at the beginning of the movie save it for me though. As with most of these, it depends on how you take the "kid adventures and helping Gamera" scenes.

GAMERA VS. GUIRON - The Sandy Frank version dub is so awful it becomes an entertainment factor in itself. Cool monster fights save it.

GAMERA VS. JIGER - Good, since it has a better budget and bigger-set monster fights. I have the widescreen Japanese version of this, and it makes a considerable difference.

GAMERA VS. ZIGRA - Bad, just bad. The kids are annoying beyond the ones before, and overall it's just boring. The Gamera/Zigra fights are decent, but it's a sad note to end on.

GAMERA SUPER MONSTER - I love it! Yep, I'm one of those few sick individuals who actual enjoy it. I think it gets a bad rap, it's much less boring than the Gamera films before it. You can watch some of the best monster fights, without Ichi or Kenny or whoever! And it has a cool theme song!
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:22 pm

The following is just my opinion.

Gamera - I really liked both the Japanese and US versions. Sure, it's a messed up movie (Noriaki Yuasa's "misunderstood monster" clashes with Daiei's intended "destructive Godzilla-like monster"), but a good way to kill some time.

Gamera Vs. Barugon - Most probably my least favorite of the classic Gamera films. While the SPFX are great, as is the fights between Gamera and Barugon, it's way too sad & tragic for me. Plus, Gamera has the least screen time here. This was a failure in Japan, so Noriaki Yuasa (who hated this film) got the last laugh.

Gamera Vs. Gyaos - MUCH better! This one's a favorite! Even as a kids' film, it's still pretty dark and vengeful! Tadashi Yamauchi's music score helps! And Gyaos is one of Gamera's coolest-looking foes.

Gamera Vs. Viras - Probably my personal favorite, and the first of the more cheery Gamera films. Gamera fights what is perhaps my most favorite of all his foes, the Viras-Seijin. (Think a squid with the face of Balok from Star Trek with a beak!) The climactic battle is quite off-the-wall and exciting! Plus, it was a pleasure to meet Carl Craig (who played Jim Morgan) and to hear about his personal experiences with the film! The next best thing to being in it.

Gamera Vs. Guillon - I love this one a lot. Guillon is one of the coolest monsters in the Gamera films! I was originally scared of the Space Gyaos sequence, but after finally seeing it again in 1990 (Sandy Frank's "uncut" print of the international version on tape), I just thought it was pretty cool! Plus, this was Shunsuke Kikuchi's first time at baton for the series (he's another favorite composer of mine next to Ifukube)!

Gamera Vs. Jiger - Probably the stronger of the films, IMHO. It was a great glimpse at Expo 70 for American audiences (and since I'm a big googie/modern enthusiast, I was very floored by all the futuristic buildings they had on display)! Jiger was a pretty tough villain (her suction paws made me think she had the Force!), and Gamera's initial defeat was really tragic and a bit difficult to watch (but when I was a kid, his turning white scared me!). Otherwise, it's still a fun movie to watch! And it's even got a young Ryuu Hayami as the young worker at Expo 70 (before he played Keisuke Jin/Masked Rider X)!

Gamera Vs. Zigra - Probably the weakest of the classic films. Of course, the scenes with Gamera fighting the Zigra spaceship/Zigra itself are exciting, as usual (with a funny bit of humor added towards the end), but the human drama tends to drag on.

Gamera: Super Monster - Poor movie, but a good clip show. I will admit that the ending was sad, but appropriate.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:30 pm

those are very good reviews, and about the same ones i have!

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Barugon and Gyaos are the best ones, IMO.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Lord Hastur » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:03 am

MouthForWar wrote:Barugon and Gyaos are the best ones, IMO.

Your right. But .....

Depending on the day, I might change my mind and say Guiron and Viras are the best ones, and then revert back to the Barugon and Gyaos flicks. Then after much soul searching come up with the idea that it's really Gyaos and Jiger that take the cake, but in reality nothing can top Destroy all Planets so then screw Viras cuz the movie with Gyaos in it is the penultimate Gamera movie but damn I wish they would have stopped after Gamera the Invincible because that's the TRUE Gamera, but Zigra is so much fun I might rank that second to Invincible, however Guiron would kill Zigra so he's number one ..........

All the Showa Gamera movies are awesome. So the BEST one more than likely would have to be GAMERA SUPER MONSTER :lol:
Lord Hastur

Next

Return to Gamera Films!