AIP-TV first airings

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

AIP-TV first airings

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Greetings All,

Does anyone happen to know when AIP-TV first started showing the Gamera sequels on TV? I assume it was
Probably within a year or two of the Japanese release depending on how long it took to produce and dub them. Any
Assistance is appreciated. Thank you.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Re: AIP-TV first airings

Postby mbozzo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:30 pm

It's been a while since I watched a Gamera movie that I may have forgotten or never learned when the Gamera movies came on television. :oops:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby william newell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:35 am

For me, living in Topeka Ks. at the time, I remember first seeing A.I.P. Gamera films on T.V. back in the mid 70's. Can't remember the specific year, though.
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:57 pm

They had to be fairly speedy trips to US TV since A.I.P. essentially pre-bought the entire back half of the original run for television before they were even made (along with the mandate that white kids be included in the cast to make them more marketable to westerners).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:51 pm

"A.I.P. essentially pre-bought the entire back half of the original run for television before they were even made (along with the mandate that white kids be included in the cast to make them more marketable to westerners)"

I didn't know that SIP had say in the films to this extent. I had always thought that Daiei included Caucasians to boost sales globally, not just at US insistence. Interesting.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:11 pm

^yup, in fact there's a dvd of Destroy All Planets spuriously titled "Destroy All Planets 2010" by retro media that has an audio commentary with Carl Craig (the caucasion kid from the film). He did say they came to TV within a few years, in fact he didn't even know it was on TV, but it was what kind of prompted me to ask the question in the first place. I first saw the Sandy Frank versions on VHS in 1989, and on TV in the years after that (including MST3K)...you could not imagine how ticked off I was that the AIP versions were no longer being aired. Thankfully they still exist (although not in great quality) on several low budget DVD sets, and S!F at least got the Audio tracks for some of them, too bad they could not procure high quality video.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:00 am

It was over a decade later so maybe this would be an easier question: how long did it take for Super Monster to get to the States? I know it aired on the USA Network and Elvira's movie hosting show in the '80s.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri May 26, 2017 10:49 am

^That is a great question. The Elvira version was just the Japanese version with the English dub track placed on top, (unless the version that S!F released on DVD was different to the Elvira one actually shown on TV) what S!F would eventually use as their standard release, albeit they had btained a much better HD video print. There was another unlicensed DVD released by wanna-be horror host Mr. Lobo under the "Cinema Insomnia" label, but I cant remember if it was the actual Filmways version or just liike all the others. What I do remember was that the film was often interrupted (MST3K style but not in a good way) , and a good 15-20 minuets of the already short film were missing.

I do remember the original Filmways version with English opening/closing credits was on Television at least 2-3 times in the early 90's on late night syndication where I lived. I had recorded it on VHS, and about 10 years ago attempted to convert it to digital format, but failed and foolishly/presumptuously I tossed my VHS thinking I would not need it anymore. It was not until a later viewing did I realize the audio/video got out of sync as the film went on. Despite its flaws forum member H-man wanted a copy, below is a link to the credits as he posted on them on Youtube. Thus its why its one of the last films on my want-list of film variants. I know I cant have been the only fan to record this version on VHS. It would be good to know when it first aired/last aired and how often and in what parts of the country, other than Sacramento which I can confirm.

phpBB [media]
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Return to Gamera Films!