Identifying the Sandy Frank dubbers

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Identifying the Sandy Frank dubbers

Postby Joseph Goodman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:41 pm

For the four people who'd find this interesting, a poster on MST3K: The Discussion Board claims to have identified the voice cast from the Sandy Frank dubs of GAMERA and GAMERA VS ZIGRA, as well as the other imports Sandy Frank had new dubs created for:

http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=mstchat&action=display&thread=21406

Watching the Sandy Frank dubs, I noticed something -- the guys dubbing it are the same people who did voices for one of my favorite TV Shows - a "Thunderbird's"-esque puppet show from Japan in 1980 - "Star Fleet" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExC6OEQazrc

When I first watched them, I sat and wondered and wondered and it dawned on me that they must be the same people - the voices are too distinctive for them not to be. The dilemma is - there's no acknowledgment of them on the Frank dubs.

In Star Fleet, they were credited however, and I gather these were some of the voices who participated in Frank's dubs:
Liza Ross -- pretty much any female character in ALL of them
Garrick Hagon - Ken (Fugitive Alien)
Jay Benedict - Rocky (Fugitive Alien), News Reporter (Gamera)
Constantine Gregory - Doctor Lee (Time of the Apes), Narrator (Fugitive Alien)
Peter Marinker - Colonel Yurulit (Fugitive Alien), Mighty Jack -- there's no denying this guy's distinctive voice!
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 pm

...identify to charge them with crimes against humanity, right? :P

Just kidding. As awful as some of those dubs are (GAMERA VS. ZIGRA, anyone?), it's still nice to attach some names to them.
H-Man
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:10 pm

i don't know if ive ever heard any of them on their own.

my only exposure to gamera prior to the alpha (?) DVDs was MST3K...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 am

Cody Himes wrote:...identify to charge them with crimes against humanity, right? :P

Amen to that :lol: . But if they ever could be questioned, I' would like to ask if they even cared at all, or was it just a job? I'm sure we all know what the answer is, but to hear it straight from the dubbers mouth might lift the veil of denial for the .00001% that actually prefer those dubs.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:39 am

You're on that board too, eh Joseph?
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:04 pm

I lurk, but don't post... it's more fun to post with a different user name each time on the Mst3Kinfo.com comments!
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:06 pm

O.Supreme wrote:
Cody Himes wrote:...identify to charge them with crimes against humanity, right? :P

Amen to that :lol: . But if they ever could be questioned, I' would like to ask if they even cared at all, or was it just a job? I'm sure we all know what the answer is, but to hear it straight from the dubbers mouth might lift the veil of denial for the .00001% that actually prefer those dubs.

Any of the Sandy Frank dubs would be better than most of the Hesei/Millenium dubs, or some of the early 90's anime dubs like Macross II. That was an atrocity!
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Actually I'm speaking specifically of any fans that prefer the Sandy Frank Gamera dubs to the AIP/TV ones. But I guess to each his own. I dont think I've ever heard any anime dubbed by an american company as poorly dubbed as any Maylay english dub. But I'd have to say its a toss up between SF & Maylay dubs as to which is the absolute worst......
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:48 pm

I know this is a little off topic but did Daiei create "international versions" of the Gamera films like Toho did with most of the Godzilla films?
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:59 pm

The Giant Pacific Octopus wrote:I know this is a little off topic but did Daiei create "international versions" of the Gamera films like Toho did with most of the Godzilla films?

The Sandy Frank versions of BARUGON and GYAOS are the HK dubs produced for Daiei (though Sandy Frank made new credits for both). The US release of SUPER MONSTER is just the international version with the Filmways logo tacked on, too.

Other than that, I'm not sure if Daiei had any of the other films dubbed. It appears that GAMERA VS. VIRAS might have an international version, too. Dubbed versions of BARUGON, GYAOS and VIRAS were shown in theaters in the Philippines during the 60s, but there's not much else known about those particular releases.
H-Man
Godzilla

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:05 pm

^ So did Sandy Frank do his own dubs for Gamera, Gamera vs. Guiron as well as Gamera vs Zigra?
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

Heisei Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:33 pm

The Giant Pacific Octopus wrote:^ So did Sandy Frank do his own dubs for Gamera, Gamera vs. Guiron as well as Gamera vs Zigra?

Yes, GAMERA and ZIGRA were definitely commissioned by Sandy Frank. No one's really sure who did GUIRON, and I've heard it called an international dub and a Sandy Frank dub. I think it's the latter, though it's definitely not done by the same voice actors that did GAMERA, ZIGRA, TIME OF THE APES, etc.
H-Man
Godzilla

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:03 am

^Great thanks!

Heisei Godzilla

Return to Gamera Films!