[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Noriaki Yuasa bio? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Noriaki Yuasa bio?

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Noriaki Yuasa bio?

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Just a question, but why hasn't there been a better bio of his life posted on-line anywhere?? His wiki page is just a few lines and his imdb is the best I can find, but it's still pretty sparse.

Like his films, or hate them, he deserves better....
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:17 am

Kaiju Transmissions Podcast-

If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It Podcast
MouthForWar
Controller

Re: Noriaki Yuasa bio?

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:04 pm

Mouth posted this on my FB wall. It's the holy grail of interviews for me as Yuasa's english language interviews seem to be few and far between.

http://www.davmil.org/www.kaijuconversa ... /yuasa.htm

I like how Yuasa seemed to call it like he saw it. Very unusual in my experience....a lot of Japanese film makers seem to be very modest and reserved.

I think his comment about the 90s Gamera films are spot on. They're made by kaiju fans for adult kaiju fans. Gamera SHOULD be for children, but I have to disagree with Yuasa about there apparently being anything wrong with Kaneko's approach. I'm glad that we've got both approaches....although I think any future Gamera films should go back to being children's or family friendly films.

I love Kaneko's films but there's a degree of pretentiousness that's there, especially by the time we get to part 3.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:00 am

Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:00 am

It's hard for me to articulate what I think he's getting at....

I think essentially, what he was advocating, was for the difference of say...a Saturday morning cartoon vs. Evangelion or something. I think in Yuasa's mind Gamera belongs firmly in the Saturday morning cartoon camp.

I can see where you're coming from though Jared because I feel the same way. I just happen to agree with Yuasa a bit too. I think both Yuasa and Kaneko had it right, they just had two different philosophies. Depending on what route you want to go, one might make more sense to you but they both have their merits.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 am

Yuasa was irritated with the TONE of the 90s films...I get that, but I disagree. I was more irritated (if it can be called that, which it can't, not really. Except MAYBE part 3) by the APPROACH. A little self-important, if you ask me. Though maybe some of that comes from the tone...I mean, if you have a character in a kid's movie saying, "Gamera is the guardian of all things good and great and beautiful and we share a special bond" it almost sounds less silly than if that happens in a more serious film, because of the light-hearted nature. So maybe Yuasa has a point that the tone is wrong...but maybe it was just wrong for the approach they took?

Does that make any sense?

If not, then Yuasa is wrong and the 90s films are great. :P But I really do wish ALL filmmakers took the time and attention to their craft and the story they want to tell that Kaneko fairly routinely does. I find him overall a touch pretentious, but I can't find any flaw in the care and thought he puts into making a film and telling a story.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 am

klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 am

I think a decent metaphor would be the 60's Batman series vs. Nolan's. Both are great, in their own respective ways. Obviously the 60s approach is way out of style these days but there's nothing inherently wrong with it either.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:55 pm

kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Reminds me of a few interviews for Pacific Rim where Guillermo del Toro basically said, "I can't fool myself into thinking I'm making a profound reflection of mankind with giant robots and monsters." And I'm like, why not? I enjoyed Pac Rim but I want to see a big-budget Hollywood monster movie like that. Maybe it'll be Godzilla 2014.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Yeah I like that we can get both approaches too.

Jared, I want to see this melancholy thing you speak of.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:32 am

kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:49 am

:D
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm basically setting myself to fail spectacularly in the eyes of the baseline majority of giant monster fans. XD
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:54 pm

So will this be an unauthorized sequel to Kaiju Killer?
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:04 pm

I couldn't even dream of being able to compare to that masterpiece of cinema.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Gamera Films!