Ranking the Gamera films

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:47 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:I dunno, I actually really liked the human cast of characters G2. They're FAR better than those of your typical Heisei Godzilla film, IMO.

The scene where several of them meet at the girl's house is one of the best human moments of the entire trilogy.
yeah, it's the human characters of G3 that are unlikable. everybody knows that. :D
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:55 pm

*shakes fist*
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Not unlikable...just not really given much character
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:18 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Not unlikable...just not really given much character

How is Ayana, crazy computer man and mentor Asagi NOT given much character? Really? I'll take crazy computer man over "I-wear-pink-windbreakers-around-military-buffs" man.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:22 pm

I was talking about Gamera 2...G3 and GOTU have very fleshed out characters, while G2 is more of an archetype thing.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Gman2887 wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:Not unlikable...just not really given much character

How is Ayana, crazy computer man and mentor Asagi NOT given much character? Really? I'll take crazy computer man over "I-wear-pink-windbreakers-around-military-buffs" man.
crazy computer man is about as fleshed out as a cardboard cutout. same thing with weird thinks-she's-a-princess-lady.

those two are the two biggest reasons why G3 just doesn't work for me.

i mean, i honestly feel when i'm watching the movie, as if my version has scenes and dialogue and stuff left out of it, because i really don't feel like i'm watching the same movie everyone else is.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gman2887 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:10 pm

If that character is a cardboard cut out, then I don't know why they even bothered with actors for the second film. None of them are remotely as interesting as Kurata. I wonder, is it the lack of explanation for these characters that hurts them for you? Because the mystery that shrouds them (and much of the film for that matter) is what makes them so interesting. Not to mention they clearly act so strange which separates them easily from other characters. G2 I couldn't tell one from another unless they were wearing a pink windbreaker.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Mystery is one thing. Having no idea what a character's purpose in the film is is another entirely. I to this day have no real idea what crazy computer guy or weird princess lady are supposed to be doing...

I also can't stand the over-acting that the actor does and something about his face...I just want to punch it :lol:
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:29 pm

I think I really am the only one who holds all three in equally high regard on all levels. :lol:
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:55 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:I dunno, I actually really liked the human cast of characters G2. They're FAR better than those of your typical Heisei Godzilla film, IMO.

The scene where several of them meet at the girl's house is one of the best human moments of the entire trilogy.

You are correct sir! That is one of the best human moment scenes of the entire trilogy.

For me the acting was good in GOTU and then it got even better in Gamera 2, putting it in the realm of almost great, that while seeing Gamera 3 I was consciously wondering what happened to Kaneko for him to accept such subpar acting from the newcomers to the series. Hotaru, Nakayama, and Fujitani are firing on all cylinders, Maeda does an above average job, but all the other principals seem to be phoning it in. I also lay some of the blame on the script as the two villain characters are just lame and superfluous. As I continue to think about it they might be my whole problem with the movie. Those two characters are poorly acted and scripted.

My ranking for the Gamera series would be:

Gamera 2 Advent of Legion
Gamera the Brave
Gamera Guardian of the Universe
Gamera vs Gyaos
Gamera vs Barugon
Gamera vs Jiger
Gamera vs Guiron
Gamera 3 Awakening of Irys
Gamera vs Viras
Gamera vs Zigra
Gamera the Giant Monster

Haven't watched Super Monster yet so I don't know where it ranks but probably on the bottom.
"The Bird did not look like Rodan, but he sensed it was the spirit of Rodan."

Mike Hanlon (It by Stephen King)
Thomas
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:28 am

jellydonut25 wrote:Mystery is one thing. Having no idea what a character's purpose in the film is is another entirely. I to this day have no real idea what crazy computer guy or weird princess lady are supposed to be doing...

They communicate a specific take on the proceedings to the audience. They posit the Gyaos as humanity's reset button, bioengineered human creations that arise at the end of the millennium to wipe the planet clean of the human species. They delight in what the Gyaos are doing and work to get Iris, a Gyaos mutation, to fight and kill Gamera, a monster created to seek out and slaughter Gyaos methodically. The close-up on Kurata with the warped lens as he talks in the train station emphasizes how twisted his thinking is.

kiryugoji04 wrote:I think I really am the only one who holds all three in equally high regard on all levels. :lol:

You're not alone.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:Mystery is one thing. Having no idea what a character's purpose in the film is is another entirely. I to this day have no real idea what crazy computer guy or weird princess lady are supposed to be doing...

They communicate a specific take on the proceedings to the audience. They posit the Gyaos as humanity's reset button, bioengineered human creations that arise at the end of the millennium to wipe the planet clean of the human species. They delight in what the Gyaos are doing and work to get Iris, a Gyaos mutation, to fight and kill Gamera, a monster created to seek out and slaughter Gyaos methodically. The close-up on Kurata with the warped lens as he talks in the train station emphasizes how twisted his thinking is.
I guess...

I just never really get that stuff from the film itself. I just think it's poorly executed.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:08 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:

I guess...

I just never really get that stuff from the film itself. I just think it's poorly executed.

It IS poorly executed. Ben is totally right about WHY they are there, but its HOW they are there where the movie stumbles. I get that they are presenting an opposite viewpoint, but they serve no purpose to the events in the film. Other than to say "hey, we're bad guys who think differently from the good guys."
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Yeah it's a total dead end in the film. It would have been cool, had they tweaked just a few things and basically made G3 a mirror version of GOTU, which it more or less is in theory, but I feel like this wasn't really hit home like it should have been. Iris is the anti-Gamera, the mirror mirror version of him filtered through the Gyaos. Ayana is a mirror mirror version of Asagi, and each of their respective support teams are mirrored versions of each other. This point is kind of their in the film, and it IS interesting, I just feel that with a few minor changes, and maybe a little more fleshing out of the villains, that it could have been better.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:58 am

Time to update again...

Love
G2
G3
GOTU
Gamera the Brave
Gamera vs. Guiron
Gamera vs. Barugon

Good
Gamera vs. Jiger
Gamera vs. Gyaos

Meh
Gamera vs. Viras
Gamera vs. Zigra

Horrible
Gammera the Invincible
Supermonster Gamera
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:51 am

king_ghidorah wrote:Supermonster Gamera
G2
Gamera vs. Guiron
Gamera the Brave
G3
GOTU
Gamera vs. Jiger
Gamera vs. Barugon
Gamera vs. Gyaos
Gamera vs. Viras
Gamera vs. Zigra
Gammera the Invincible

DON'T LIE!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:24 pm

:lol:
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Real McCoy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:42 pm

I know it's a really sh*tty, sh*tty movie, but I just can't hate it. As a matter of fact, besides Gamera vs. Barugon it is the most watched out of my Gamera collection.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:46 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:I know it's a really sh*tty, sh*tty movie, but I just can't hate it. As a matter of fact, besides Gamera vs. Barugon it is the most watched out of my Gamera collection.

I could get that, since it's basically a Best-Of collection :lol:
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Nostalgia plays a large part in my enjoyment of the movie. It was the first Gamera movie I saw as a kid.

I love that movie.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:19 pm

i've still never seen it... :lol:
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:56 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:i've still never seen it... :lol:

I've softened on it over the last year. I no longer hate it even though it pains me to admit that. Really, I could watch any of the Gamera movies and be happy. Can't say that for Godzilla...
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:21 am

G2
Gamera the Brave
G3
Gamera vs. Barugon
GOTU
Gamera vs. Gyaos
Gammera the Invincible
Gamera vs. Guiron
Gamera vs. Zigra
Gamera vs. Jiger
Gamera vs. Viras
Supermonster Gamera
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:04 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:i've still never seen it... :lol:

I've softened on it over the last year. I no longer hate it even though it pains me to admit that. Really, I could watch any of the Gamera movies and be happy. Can't say that for Godzilla...
i don't know that i could say that for either series...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Legion » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:10 pm

The original 1965 Gamera and Gamera the Brave are at the very bottom of my list of favorite Gamera movies. At the top are Gyaos, Guiron and Jiger, followed by the three Kaneko films (G2, G1 and G3 in that order), then Supermonster, Barugon, Zigra and Viras.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Gamera Films!