The Gamerea animated series...

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

The Gamerea animated series...

Postby jrichreturns » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:19 am

There was one being thrown around the pipeline, but never made it. Do any details exist of what was to be like the plot or what not?
-SEIG ZEON!
jrichreturns
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:52 am

Good question, I totally forgot about this...
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:36 pm

I recall it being not long after Gamera the Brave came into being, perhaps the lack of success for that hindered interest in the show?
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dagarah72 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:31 pm

I would love to see an animated series based on Gamera! Maybe some day (in an alternate universe) we will get to see that.

Ricky
Dagarah72
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:33 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I recall it being not long after Gamera the Brave came into being, perhaps the lack of success for that hindered interest in the show?

This. They also scrapped Takashi Miike's Daimajin film, which would have been amazing.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:03 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:I recall it being not long after Gamera the Brave came into being, perhaps the lack of success for that hindered interest in the show?

This. They also scrapped Takashi Miike's Daimajin film, which would have been amazing.

Much better than how Daimajin was actually brought back.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:07 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:

Yeah...I tried watching the first episode of the Daimajin series...couldn't get into it. Buuuut, right now I'm watching the first movie to help me unwind before I start my senior year in college :D . (I'll never say I regret serving 4 years in the military but it's as if I lost 4 years of my life at times...I'm 25, and will be 26 when I finally have a 4 year degree :( )
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:17 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:

Yeah...I tried watching the first episode of the Daimajin series...couldn't get into it. Buuuut, right now I'm watching the first movie to help me unwind before I start my senior year in college :D . (I'll never say I regret serving 4 years in the military but it's as if I lost 4 years of my life at times...I'm 25, and will be 26 when I finally have a 4 year degree :( )

Hey, I'm 26 right now and DIDN'T serve in the military and will be graduating this spring at the very earliest. Join the club! :cool:

And yeah, the Daimajin series just looked awful. You have the awesome concept of Daimajin in the modern world and you turn it into just another J-Hero show? They thought THAT was a better idea than Takashi Miike doing a reboot? It didn't even make sense to begin with since Gamera and Daimajin are such WILDLY different kaiju franchises.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:39 pm

That's cool Mouth. What's your degree in? Mine's English. Don't know what I'll do with it but I like writing and reading so what the heck :teach:
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:40 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:That's cool Mouth. What's your degree in? Mine's English. Don't know what I'll do with it but I like writing and reading so what the heck :teach:

Electronic Media and Film Studies with a minor in journalism. And like you, I have NO idea what I'll do with it or if it will lead me anywhere. :lol:
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jrichreturns » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:30 pm

But I wonder..there has to be some storyboards possibly out there.
-SEIG ZEON!
jrichreturns
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kpa » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:17 am

jrichreturns wrote:there has to be some storyboards possibly out there.

There would only be storyboards if the show had gone into production and episodes were written. But what Kadokawa told me was that they were in talks with Cartoon Network about doing a Gamera cartoon... and as far as I know it never evolved beyond that stage.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Re:

Postby Enshohma » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:30 am

kpa wrote:
jrichreturns wrote:there has to be some storyboards possibly out there.

There would only be storyboards if the show had gone into production and episodes were written. But what Kadokawa told me was that they were in talks with Cartoon Network about doing a Gamera cartoon... and as far as I know it never evolved beyond that stage.

Considering the current state of action / drama animation, as that of near extinction on most networks now heavily focused on lowest-minded, crude comedy, maybe it was a minor blessing the Gamera animated series never made it pass the initial concept and talks.

For a lot of us here, an expanded Gamera franchise / universe outside his twelve films, and with new and returning monsters, would have been awesome.

But than Cartoon Network's current regime would have phased out the series, even if it was doing well in the ratings, and possibly even merchandise wise. Very similar to what happened to "Sym-Bionic Titan", "Young Justice", and any number of non-humor series I could mention that has aired and died / killed on Cartoon Network.

I do enjoy the likes of "Adventure Time" and "Regular Show", and they are better shows than their respective reputations would suggest otherwise.

But it pains me that the success of both those series has lead to a virtually retardation (for lack of a better term) of television animation. And an avalanche of moronic pretenders and imitators on both Cartoon Network and beyond. Especially Nickelodeon and to a distant extent The Hub (or as long as that station remains alive).

I'd through in Adult Swim into the mix, but seeing how that slightly separate sibling to Cartoon Network invented the term 'Anti-Humor' a long ways back, it's a muted point.

Here's hoping for way better things for The Guardian of the Universe in 2015.

Guess All of the Above Monsters' Names and Respective Places of Origin and Win a Prize!
Enshohma
Godzilla Jr.

Re: The Gamerea animated series...

Postby XvGojira » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:25 am

Guardians will air on a Disney station now won't it? I don't think Marvel has had too many issues with their shows, since that even if they don't last long there's always another one coming up behind it. They're like on their third Avenger's series aren't they? And there's a Hulk spin-off show.

But when you have huge tent-pole films every summer it'd be hard for a show based on the same property (or an element of it) preform anything but good.

The action cartoon does seem to be a dying breed. I mean can there be a straight action adventure cartoon be made that's NOT built on an existing property, as a sequel to a previous show, or be more comedy than it is action?

It seems like they'd have to make a Gamera anime and the just dub it and air it on Toonami for it to make safely-ish to the states.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Enshohma » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:48 pm

XvGojira wrote:Guardians will air on a Disney station now won't it? I don't think Marvel has had too many issues with their shows, since that even if they don't last long there's always another one coming up behind it. They're like on their third Avenger's series aren't they? And there's a Hulk spin-off show.

But when you have huge tent-pole films every summer it'd be hard for a show based on the same property (or an element of it) preform anything but good.

The action cartoon does seem to be a dying breed. I mean can there be a straight action adventure cartoon be made that's NOT built on an existing property, as a sequel to a previous show, or be more comedy than it is action?

It seems like they'd have to make a Gamera anime and the just dub it and air it on Toonami for it to make safely-ish to the states.

I hate to spoil your argument, but I have several unfortunate rebuttals and additions to it.

The current Disney slate of action cartoons are all directly from Disney's in-house connections to their subsidiary Marvel. A situation not unlike the homogenization of shows under a corporate alliances, as seen with Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and of course The Hub. Like you said, existing properties and sequels.

In addition to that, all of them are more comical editions created to replace more serious animated series from Marvel. Both "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" and "Spectacular Spiderman" were both phased out to make way for 'more cartoon-y' renditions "Ultimate Spiderman" (with American-made anime sight gags and fourth wall breaks) and "Avengers Assembles" (comedy sitcom situations, which resulted in that now infamous episode where Falcon's judgmental and yet somehow equally as oblivious mother comes to visit Avengers headquarters).

If that wasn't bad enough, Disney also killed off a lot of their other of action shows for more comical fair, including the barely seen "Tron Uprising", reselling "Power Rangers" back to Saban (a small blessing, seeing how many times the original Eye Guy episode was rerun in a single month at Disney), and the live action teen-sitcom re-branding of Disney XD.

And even with these funnier Marvel Toons on tap, Disney barley gives the aforementioned airtime on TV, instead dedicating most programming to comedy cartoons and teen-coms. Hell, even official online streaming seems to favor the comedy over the action shows, which is saying a lot.

Again...Gamera might have dodged a bullet here.

Guess All of the Above Monsters' Names and Respective Places of Origin and Win a Prize!
Enshohma
Godzilla Jr.

Postby XvGojira » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:21 pm

That's basically what I meant but said better with more examples. Add Star Wars probably to that list too. I loved Clone Wars and while I hope Rebels is good, I've got a feeling that it's not going to be as mature of a show.

I guess I'll just have to be happy that Godzilla the Series and BTAS and the rest of the Timm'verse DCAU have been released on DVD already. And pine for a future where action adventure shows are more welcomed.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Return to Gamera Films!