Gamera The Brave Appreciation Thread

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Gamera The Brave Appreciation Thread

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm going to go on the record and say that I think this film is near perfect...a mix of both the Showa and Hesei series Gamera movies...now I'm a pretty big Gamera nerd but this film is just sheer undeniable, underappreciated awesomeness...just watched it again today and can't believe more people dont like it...I really do believe it captures the essence of Gamera and feels at times like Miyazaki film...and that darn song at the end...I have no idea what she is saying but darned if it itsnt a little touching...

Too bad we will never see a sequel to this...

Other assorted thoughts

Gyaos...great...nothing beats the Showa thus far for creepyness but they are once again in great form here..I prefer them to Rodan

The smaller kaiju size...doesn't bother me at all...I think it works perfectly in this film

Zedus...is awesome...I think the suit looks a little too human occasionally and would have prefered the legs and arms to be a bit more T-Rexian but the design and attitude of the monster is great if not the execution at all times (although if he had shorter arms climbing the buildings would have been impossible so they pretty much had to give him longer human arms)

Gamera's roar...ugh.... :roll: Still would like an explanation why they gave him a generic roar instead of his classic one

Gamera's appearance...love it...like the older one too but think they should have worked on the face a little bit more to make him not quite so ugly and deformed looking...but with a little alterations to the face that could have easily been my favorite Gamera design...love the arm spikes and the collection of battle scars and wounded eye...

The nod to Guiron...priceless...

The building destruction scenes are possibly the best ever in a kaiju movie...really great stuff....

Anyone else like this film as much as me?
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:24 pm

I love this film! I think it turned out really great, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was fun watching it for the first time at G-FEST as well! :D
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Great kids film. I love this movie.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:10 pm

I saw this for the first time recently and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'm going to be honest, I don't like any of the Showa Gamera films save "Barugon," and I think this is much more along the lines of what a good monster film for kids should be than the older ones. While it's certainly not perfect, I found myself smiling more often while watching this than pretty much any other kaiju film. Really dig the song at the end too. Overall I think it's quite nicely done and one of the very best Gamera films.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby howze01 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:22 pm

Love it! I really dig the Gamera design and I wish I could find more figures of it. I have to admit that the sccene on the beach with the boys trying to pull each others pants off was a bit disturbing. Other than that, I think that Zedus is one of the best new Kaiju in awhile.

Didn't the kids shirt say something funny? I remember watching it and thinking it was hilarious.
howze01
Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:34 pm

howze01 wrote:Didn't the kids shirt say something funny? I remember watching it and thinking it was hilarious.

Yeah, it's been a couple of weeks (I rented it from Netflix), but it said "A Bang Up Work" or something to that effect. Funny stuff. :D
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:58 am

howze01 wrote:Love it! I really dig the Gamera design and I wish I could find more figures of it. I have to admit that the sccene on the beach with the boys trying to pull each others pants off was a bit disturbing. Other than that, I think that Zedus is one of the best new Kaiju in awhile.

Didn't the kids shirt say something funny? I remember watching it and thinking it was hilarious.

Yah the scene where they try and pull the kids pants down is..um...awful and disturbing lol...kids do weird crap though.

A agree about the figures...anyone ever pick up the medicom one? Anxious to see what it looks like in person...

Did ccp release a papa Gamera figure or am I imagining this?
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby armandv » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Looking back at the Tokyo premiere of "Gamera The Brave":

http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2009/ ... miere.html
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Ah man! You are soooo lucky...that is awesome! Thanks for the shareing all of that with us
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby armandv » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:54 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:Ah man! You are soooo lucky...that is awesome! Thanks for the shareing all of that with us

Thanks for your comments. But luck had nothing to do with it. Just money. :D
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Gamera The Brave Appreciation Thread

Postby Duke of Monmouth » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:39 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:Anyone else like this film as much as me?

Me!

I watched it last night and it is an utterly charming, warm hearted film that shows just how terrible the the 90s Mothra trilogy was.

I thought GTB hit the right note on being both a kids film but not dumbing down, and the way it dealt with Toru's bereavement for his mother was delicately done and his final line (for those who have seen it) had a real emotional punch.

Visually I thought it was stunning, the cinematography was beautifully done, the opening sequence ranked up there with G3 for realism and shock value. The FX throughout were a nice mix of traditional suitmation and CG all superbly done including some excellent comp shots that put Hollywood to shame.

Slight criticisms were Zedus just showing up with so real bridge (sic) to the build up, and the Gamera suit looked a bit goofy but then I'm used to the brutal G3 version. That said, the expressiveness was excellent and it did bring character to the suitmation.

The music seemed a little bit of a mish mash, I preferred the more traditional, ethic sounds to the jaunty pop score.

As a big fan of G3 - which I think is perhaps the finest kaiju eiga ever made - I like this film a lot, it embraced the Gamera of the 60s with a 21st century twist.

For a kids film it was less juvenile than Toho's output in the 90s and felt like a film that was hand crafted rather than off the shelf.

Yup, I liked it!
Duke of Monmouth
Godzilla Egg

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Glad that you liked the film Duke! Between this and your other G3 post it seems like you and I are both big Gamera fans :D
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:47 am

I just saw this for the first time and I really must agree that it was a great movie. It's such a shame it did poorly at the box office, because I would have loved to see more movies in this series. Absolutely perfect mix of new and old.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Cookie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:04 am

I loved this film. I'm surprised it hasn't been released in Japan, on Blu-ray.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:52 pm

I finally saw this last week,and what a letdown. My least favorite of all the Gamera movies,classic or modern. Also the scene where the kids play at the beach was pretty messed up. I don't think we played that game back when I was a kid! :oops:
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:28 pm

I have always loved this little gem. My only real gripe was that they tossed out Gamera's roar for the generic roar from 'The Land that Time Forgot', King Kong, and dozens of television shows in the 50's.

Another small gripe was that once Gamera showed up the story went alittle too fast for my liking...and that kid toss off at the end kind of made me cringe.

Zedus really made this movie for me, his movements were very original and his look was very refreshing. It has been too long that we see an original reptilian kaiju that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (flame breath, lasers, ect.) just teeth and nails.......and tongue.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:18 pm

i still need to see this movie...i never got around to ordering a copy of the DVD...

maybe i'll have to ask for an amazon gift card or something, i'm not sure if i want to pay for a movie that's as decidely mixed in reviews as this one...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Finally saw this: What's the BFD??? I mean, the backlash against this movie is MASSIVELY disproportianate to the quality of the film.

This is a super fun ride with a solid story and really well choreographed monster action.

I enjoyed almost every second of this movie.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Hey welcome to the club Jelly! Yeah, I'm a big fan of the film..I'm not the biggest fan of the suits or the changes in Gamera's roar...but for the most part this film is a perfect mix of the Showa and Hesei era films...totally underrated....

I don't know why it bombed so epically...I can tell you I was living in Japan when this came out and there was pretty much zero promotion for this film...it didn't seem to open up on many theaters either, all that coupled with some kinda cruddy looking monster designs ( yes Gamera is supposed to be kid friendly but...kids like cool looking monsters at the end of the day) and the fact that Gamera really isn't all that popular I think all contributed to the fact that this film sunk
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:28 pm

It's pretty upsetting, considering I'd rather watch this than GOTU or most of the Showa films. It's probably my personal #3 or 4.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:47 am

metal_bryan wrote:It's pretty upsetting, considering I'd rather watch this than GOTU or most of the Showa films. It's probably my personal #3 or 4.
it's certainly better than any Godzilla film of the millenium era...

as for the Showa films, I'd tend to agree...which means that yes, this would also be like my third-ish favorite Gamera flick...

I might watch it again, in fact...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MrShape666 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:47 pm

I have mixed feelings about this film, I probably always will. Keep in mind, I'm not a huge fan of the Yuasa Gamera films, although I always thought Gamera as a monster had potential. I love the Kaneko trilogy (which I know is not a popular position anymore), and as such, this new film was very disappointing. I would really have rather seen another cool kick ass monster movie then this kid's movie.

With that being said, taken on its own, this is a damn good children's movie. What impresses me the most is that it treats is child characters like real people. In the old series, all the kids had to do was look cute, but this movie shows kids dealing with very real issues of loss and identity. This kids a real, with real emotions and thoughts to sort out. So kudos to the film makers for that.
This is THE SHAPE speaking.
MrShape666
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:26 pm

MrShape666 wrote: I love the Kaneko trilogy (which I know is not a popular position anymore).

many, MANY people still think that G3 is among the top 3 to 5 kaiju films of all-time

personally, i'm more of a G2 guy, but the heisei Gamera films are still miles better than anything Toho has done in the last 20 years.

i think people just kinda badmouth them a bit to pull back against those who blindly love them considering they are NOT (imho) the be-all, end-all of kaiju cinema.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MrShape666 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:18 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
MrShape666 wrote: I love the Kaneko trilogy (which I know is not a popular position anymore).

many, MANY people still think that G3 is among the top 3 to 5 kaiju films of all-time

personally, i'm more of a G2 guy, but the heisei Gamera films are still miles better than anything Toho has done in the last 20 years.

i think people just kinda badmouth them a bit to pull back against those who blindly love them considering they are NOT (imho) the be-all, end-all of kaiju cinema.

I think G-Fan had a hand in that a bit. I noticed that somewhere in between the second and third film, Lees and his writers suddenly made an about face and started attacking Kaneko. Which included accusations of disrespecting Kaiju cinema and a very subtle accusation of pedophilia (well, ephebophilia) at one point. I'm not sure what precipitated this sudden change of attitude: Maybe Kaneko wouldn't do G-Fest or maybe he stole Lees' lunch money, who knows?

What always gets me in Gamera The Brave is the way the kids refer to Gamera as Toto. I understand its significance as the pet name the main character's mom had for him, but it's hard to watch it and not get a mental image of a high pitched scraggly voice cooing "And as for you: I'll get you my pretty. And your giant fire breathing turtle, too."

A also really wish that they hadn't made Gamera so "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" cute looking. I always like it when films treat their kids like real people, and not pieces of scenery. GTB did this very well, but I still would have rather seen a continuation of the Kaneko series.
Last edited by MrShape666 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is THE SHAPE speaking.
MrShape666
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:37 am

the G-Fan writers are the same guys who badmouth the Millenium Godzilla films every chance they get and yet claim that Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992) is a damn-near masterwork of cinema...

i don't listen to anything they have to say.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Next

Return to Gamera Films!