Gamera The Brave Appreciation Thread

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Gamera The Brave Appreciation Thread

Postby Specium Ray » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Every time I watch this movie, I love it a little bit more. My kids really love it, too, so I often have the opportunity to put it on.
Specium Ray
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:52 pm

I wish it had been a success, but in a way I'm glad it didn't spawn a series, because it's a perfectly contained little one-and-done movie with it's own mythology and nice ending.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:53 am

lhb412 wrote:I wish it had been a success, but in a way I'm glad it didn't spawn a series, because it's a perfectly contained little one-and-done movie with it's own mythology and nice ending.

I think a single follow-up would have been nice, if only to see a kid-friendly GAMERA movie that looked as slick as this one, instead of a kid-friendly "turtle grows up to be Gamera kinda" movie.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:52 am

I thinks its very successful as a "coming of age" kaiju story storywise (Demeking also fits this bill but that's a different discussion). You could continue with the Gamera character but GtB is Toru's story just as much as Gameras, and Toru's story is complete.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Zedus is just such a great monster; the design is simple and kind of a throwback to early '60s and '50s kaiju, but does a few interesting things like make the suit skinnier (usually a no-no because you want to disguise the human form a bit) and giving him that big head that leans forward (with gives him a less human shape). The back quills and the frill are great touches, too, and he's such a sneaky SOB - I can't help but love him.

... and it was the third original monster in a row for the Gamera series and each one of them were winners! I don't think the Godzilla series has created a truly iconic new monster since Biollante.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:28 pm

lhb412 wrote:Zedus is just such a great monster; the design is simple and kind of a throwback to early '60s and '50s kaiju, but does a few interesting things like make the suit skinnier (usually a no-no because you want to disguise the human form a bit) and giving him that big head that leans forward (with gives him a less human shape). The back quills and the frill are great touches, too, and he's such a sneaky SOB - I can't help but love him.

... and it was the third original monster in a row for the Gamera series and each one of them were winners! I don't think the Godzilla series has created a truly iconic new monster since Biollante.
While the movie was mediocre, I'd make an argument for Destroyah and possibly Space Godzilla being iconic monsters. They've gotten a lot of publicity in recent years.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:01 pm

DannyBeane wrote: While the movie was mediocre, I'd make an argument for Destroyah and possibly Space Godzilla being iconic monsters. They've gotten a lot of publicity in recent years.

For me, Spacegodzilla, Destoroyah, Orga, and Monster X (and Bagan) are all kind of overly lumpy and spikey, clumsy, over-designed action figure monsters without the iconic profile or clarity of concept that a truly iconic monster should have... truthfully, Megaguirus probably a bit less so than those others as it's prehensile stinger tail and big eyes stand out, so I think it's flaws are more about execution. While they are brought back in comics and video games and toys I think it's entirely due to their connection to the franchise and the fact that they were set up as iconic opponents, rather than inherent strengths to the characters.

Contrast that with Gamera's foes since '96: Legion is such a magnificently designed insect/crab thing, complex but cuts a striking profile. Iris is truthfully a bit weaker in design, but it has the tentacles and the beak with the inset globe head that stand out and has the great conceptual hook of being the anti-Gamera with a connection to a human girl, mirroring Asagi and Gamera in the first movie. Zedus is a fantastic return to first principles as prehistoric looking man-eater, but takes so many road-less-traveled paths with the design (large head, skinny body, neck frill and back quills) and is played up as so sadistic... I think the Gamera series has done a better job of thinking about these new monsters as characters and making them unique, while Toho has been repeating the same formula of adding spikes and horns and skulls and death rays into a pile and calling it a day.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Gamera Films!